FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So They're Making An Offer...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, it's time. After 5 years, I could be gettin the hell out of Dodge... err... Windsor.

We've been over the terms, and they're putting it in writing tomorrow. I'm pretty happy with most of it. The job looks good, company appears to be profitable, working conditions good. The salary is excellent. It's on par with what I'm making right now in the US, but I lose the car allowance. That's pretty good to make US type money in Canada. It's... at the 100% percentile for engineers who graduated at the same time as me and have achieved my responsibility level.

Vacation is good... well, in my second year I'd get 3 weeks plus Christmas week, plus 3 floater days, plus my birthday. One thing I don't like, in my first year, I had to fight for 1 week vacation. I guess they're old fashioned in that they generally don't give vacation until after your first year is past.

The main thing I'm unhappy about is there is zero relocation assistance. So, we're going to take it in the shorts on that. After paying realtor fees, we'll hopefully get out only what we put in, minus the sweat equity. :(

So, what's next... if I take it, I'm going to need to find a temporary place to live. Where do I look? Like, where to look for rentals?
You can shack up with me
dont leave town without me seeing the focus!!!

edit:if you need a hand moving, i can lift heavy stuff...kinda.... :ph34r:
are you looking for rentals in Canada?
http://www.viewit.ca is my favorite rental hunting website.
If your moving to an area with a university or college, check their website or campus for rental listings. They aren't always up to par for a mature couple but good deals on sublets can be found.
Hope all goes well for you.
P-51,Feb 9 2006, 09: Wrote:........I guess they're old fashioned........ [right][snapback]169516[/snapback][/right]

You know what, take that as a good sign.

How temporary is temporary for a rental? It is just me in the house right now and some extra income for a little while would be nice. I am right by the major highways.

If you want more details let me know.
Let us know if you need help moving.

And yes... Old fashioned... A good sign.
Andrew, thanks, I might consider that. How temporary is temporary? I'm not sure. Depends how long it takes to sell our house and get a new one. We were planning to build, but depends on what's on the market when ours sells.

Anywhere from a month to a year. That's kinda part of the problem, I don't really know, and don't want to get locked into a 1 year lease.

I hope I haven't torpedoed myself. I told them the 1 week vacation in the first year just wasn't acceptable. I have to move a household and family. I'm going to have to meet with lawyers, builders, etc...

The recruiter thinks I may kill the deal. We'll see.

What do you guys think? Professional jobs... you get vacation benefits in the first year? Or do they make you wait a year? It's not so much about money or not wanting to work... I gotta move!

Am I being too demanding? What's normal?
P-51,Feb 10 2006, 08: Wrote:Andrew, thanks, I might consider that.  How temporary is temporary?  I'm not sure.  Depends how long it takes to sell our house and get a new one.  We were planning to build, but depends on what's on the market when ours sells.

Anywhere from a month to a year.  That's kinda part of the problem, I don't really know, and don't want to get locked into a 1 year lease.
[right][snapback]169574[/snapback][/right]

I can't really address what is normal as my carreer has been anything but normal.

As for a rental. What I would propose is you and Tina could take over the main floor of my house and I could live in the basement. The kitchen would have to be shared and the upstairs shower/tub as I only have a two piece bath down below.

It would be completely month by month but I'd have to say no longer than a year. The idea is you would be your helping me out over a financial hump and I am helping you out while you wait on your house. I don't need or want a tennant on a go forward basis.

Whatever rent I come up with would be inclusive of utilities. You'd have to store a majority of your furniture elsewhere as I am completely furnished.

As for parking and commuting I have room for about 5 cars in total but it is a single lane driveway so there would be lots of "shuffling" of cars. I am located just off the DVP halfway between the Gardiner/QEW and the 401 at Don Mills. VERY quiet upper middle class neighbourhood and a very "suburban" setting considering my proximity to downtown, you'd be quite surprised actually.

At any rate next time you are in the area make a point of having a look at least.
that all depends on the company... I got 9 months probation, and then 3 weeks of vacation my 1st year here. You're allowed to ask.. it's part of the negotiation talks.
where is the new job going to be at?
Andrew, if we did that, it'd probably be a case of Tina staying in Windsor until the house is sold, I'd go home on the weekends. I don't think I'd want to get involved in moving Tina and the baby into something that is "temporary". Oh yeah, BTW, we have a 6 week old baby! :D

Mo, the job is just NW of 400/407 intersection.
P-51,Feb 10 2006, 10: Wrote:Andrew, if we did that, it'd probably be a case of Tina staying in Windsor until the house is sold, I'd go home on the weekends.  I don't think I'd want to get involved in moving Tina and the baby into something that is "temporary".  Oh yeah, BTW, we have a 6 week old baby! :D

Mo, the job is just NW of 400/407 intersection.
[right][snapback]169598[/snapback][/right]

Ooop's I forgot about the wee one, and I congratulated you before too didn't I?

Actually Rob a Monday-Friday tenneancy works out PERFECT! It would be ideal in fact.

You could have the basement in that case VERY easily at a VERY reasonale "rent" for however long it takes to get settled no problem at all. Do make a point of checking my place out.
darkpuppet,Feb 10 2006, 02:20 PM Wrote:that all depends on the company... I got 9 months probation, and then 3 weeks of vacation my 1st year here.  You're allowed to ask.. it's part of the negotiation talks.
[right][snapback]169579[/snapback][/right]

same with me, but i had 3 months probation, and im a manager of a finanace company...much different ( and less respectable) then an engineer.

Then again i live in sask, where rememberance day is a stat!!!
Andrew, if I stay in your rec room downstairs, does that mean I'll need to grow a beard and say "YAARRRRR!" all the time? ;)

They came to the table with the two weeks in the first year, but I give up one in the second year, but it still leaves me with 2 weeks, the 4 bonus days, plus Christmas shutdown. So it's pretty decent, then 3 weeks in the 3rd year. Not bad.

So, I think this is going to happen.
P-51,Feb 10 2006, 01: Wrote:Andrew, if I stay in your rec room downstairs, does that mean I'll need to grow a beard and say "YAARRRRR!" all the time? ;)

They came to the table with the two weeks in the first year, but I give up one in the second year, but it still leaves me with 2 weeks, the 4 bonus days, plus Christmas shutdown.  So it's pretty decent, then 3 weeks in the 3rd year.  Not bad.

So, I think this is going to happen.
[right][snapback]169623[/snapback][/right]
one thing to look at is, what do you currently have for vaca? and is this job considered equivalent to your old job or a step up/down?
P-51,Feb 10 2006, 01: Wrote:Andrew, if I stay in your rec room downstairs, does that mean I'll need to grow a beard and say "YAARRRRR!" all the time? ;)
[right][snapback]169623[/snapback][/right]

Nah, can't see how would it be possible. I mean everyones basement looks like this doesn't it?

[Image: IM000008.jpg]

yar, and she doesn't rock too bad during stormy weather either!
The job is a step up in name, I'm going to be called a "senior" engineer, but I've been doing this level of responsibility since I started here.
Andrew, you should get a stuffed squid to finish that basement off.