FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Insurance Do's And Don'ts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Insurance Do’s and Don’t

This is from 24Hrs newspaper today.

How do insurance companies decide which modified vehicles are too risky?
The following lists explain why you could be declined, or why your rates could go up.
Decline:

· Kit cars, Replica cars;
· Lowering or raising chassis;
· Oversized tires;
· Suspension modification;
· Engine modification;
· Exhaust modification.

Increased Rate:

· Mag wheels;
· Specialty paint;
· Electronic sound system is not factory installed.

Decline Comprehensive Coverage:

· Excess value due to modifications not made to enhance performance;
· Value of paint job excessive to year and make of model;
· Value of electronics excessive of year and make of model.

Why don't they just say you can do f*** all to your car and keep it really simple. Its just getting ridiculas to see what these insurance companies are doing. The sad part is to see them get away with it as well. They are not leaving any space for anything. Mind as well just close all the car companies out there and just make plain boring Buicks for people to drive.
I had an insurance company call me yesterday for a rate comparison. I am bored at home so I figured I would play along.

I wold them everything about the truck.

Then I told them everything about the Focus. He tried to intrrupt me several times but I told him it was my time and he could speak when I was done.

He hung up.

meford4u,Feb 9 2006, 10:03 AM Wrote:I had an insurance company call me yesterday for a rate comparison.  I am bored at home so I figured I would play along.

I wold them everything about the truck.

Then I told them everything about the Focus.  He tried to intrrupt me several times but I told him it was my time and he could speak when I was done.

He hung up.
[right][snapback]169292[/snapback][/right]

You're kidding?

That's freakin' awesome.

Seeing you had nothing to lose due to the fact that you have a freakin' sweet deal with your insurance co. for the Focus.
Gay. Big time Gay.

Homo written all over it.

:fag:
Flofocus,Feb 9 2006, 09:14 AM Wrote:Gay.  Big time Gay.

[right][snapback]169302[/snapback][/right]

explain who or what you are calling gay?

Then drop the gloves!
Flofocus,Feb 9 2006, 10:14 AM Wrote:Gay.  Big time Gay.

[right][snapback]169302[/snapback][/right]
:blink:

I don't get it... did I miss something?
These do's and don't are of da ghey. :fag:

Gay I tell you.
Flofocus,Feb 9 2006, 10:22 AM Wrote:These do's and don't are of da ghey. :fag:

Gay I tell you.
[right][snapback]169313[/snapback][/right]

Oh I get it... seeing your car has everything short of a Flux Capacitor. :lol:
The thing is....

My car was dealer prepped. Meaning the skirts, the exhaust, the springs, wheels, were all included when I bought the car new.

By law, they have to cover me since the car was bought new like that.

I'm just not looking forward to going threw the hassle of proving that.

*Knocks on wood*

Hopefully I never have to.
and this is why i had to sell my supercharger...

Insurance in ontario is GAY GAY GAY as flo said.

they wouldnt even insure my dad on the car... He didnt even mention me when he called for insurance

and hes 58 with a clean record. 0 claims. and licensed in ontario since 1974.
Don't mention the S/C. It's that simple. So you lose it if you write the car off... no biggie. Haul it off the car before the adjuster arrives - bingo! Problem solved!

Unless, the car is smashed up enough that you cant get access to the engine bay.

or the police impound the car after the accident.... if something more serious happens...

Then what.

Trust me. all these facts were put into consideration. thats why if i ever go F/I... it'll be factory FI
Yup.
Y'know that list is so vague that in theory that when I throw on the Steeda CAI they could concievably deny me coverage if I was in an accident. :blink:

I'd say let them try, I'd fight them tooth & nail... morons

Auto Insurance - The legalized Ponzi Scheme <_<

NefCanuck
scoobasteve,Feb 9 2006, 11:07 AM Wrote:......... thats why if i ever go F/I... it'll be factory FI
[right][snapback]169364[/snapback][/right]

Yup, it is out of the box performance or nothing for me. It is cheaper at the end of the day anyway.

Sure the Focus is better with all the the go fast parts I added but it is still stoopid slow, cost too much to do and certainly questionable from an insurance standpoint.

Then there is time. It takes YEARS to get a heavily modified cars to 'fire and forget' status if it is ever possible at all. I'm approaching 3 years in the WRX and haven't had to do anything unscheduled, haven't added one performance part to it, it goes like stink and I'm as happy as hell .
yeah but even buying used can be an issue when your trying to insure a modified car. I was ok with my former insurance company when I did the change over from the one focus to the other.
why tell the insurance companies more than they need to know. They ask what car, you say focus, they ask any modifications, you say no.

done and done. Anything done to your car was done after the fact. Some insurance co, do want you to goto an inspection place before they accept you though.

When I got my G the rates were supposed to go down and sthe same when I turn 25. They did not go down for either until I called and asked what's up. They're like you gotta tell us when that happens. OK I understand they might not know when I get my G, but they sure as hell know when you get a speeding ticket. As for me turning 25 they do have my date of birth :rolleyes:

don't tell them what they don't need to know.
nass,Feb 9 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:why tell the insurance companies more than they need to know. They ask what car, you say focus, they ask any modifications, you say no.

done and done. Anything done to your car was done after the fact.  Some insurance co, do want you to goto an inspection place before they accept you though.

When I got my G the rates were supposed to go down and sthe same when I turn 25. They did not go down for either until I called and asked what's up. They're like you gotta tell us when that happens. OK I understand they might not know when I get my G, but they sure as hell know when you get a speeding ticket. As for me turning 25 they do have my date of birth  :rolleyes:

[right][snapback]169491[/snapback][/right]
Why tell them, because when a bus runs a red light and crushes your 98 Z24 with a book value of $5500, and you get the $15000 value it was truely worth when they have copies of all the reciepts!

David
NoiSeeVT,Feb 9 2006, 11:40 PM Wrote:
nass,Feb 9 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:why tell the insurance companies more than they need to know. They ask what car, you say focus, they ask any modifications, you say no.

done and done. Anything done to your car was done after the fact.  Some insurance co, do want you to goto an inspection place before they accept you though.

When I got my G the rates were supposed to go down and sthe same when I turn 25. They did not go down for either until I called and asked what's up. They're like you gotta tell us when that happens. OK I understand they might not know when I get my G, but they sure as hell know when you get a speeding ticket. As for me turning 25 they do have my date of birth  :rolleyes:

[right][snapback]169491[/snapback][/right]
Why tell them, because when a bus runs a red light and crushes your 98 Z24 with a book value of $5500, and you get the $15000 value it was truely worth when they have copies of all the reciepts!

David
[right][snapback]169495[/snapback][/right]

When my last car got hit and they wrote it off they just asked for the receipts and I never told them what I did but still got enough money to buy out my focus. But mind you I have been with allstate for almost 10 years and my parents for double that. It is easier to get away with this if you've been a long time customer I think. My agent never asked me anything about the focus when I insured it.