FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Good By Lincoln Zephyr..............
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
.........., hello Lincoln MKZ:

February 8, 2006

2006 Lincoln Zephyr will become 2007 MKZ

Dearborn, Michigan – One year after its launch, the entry-level Lincoln Zephyr will receive a makeover and a new name for 2007, becoming the MKZ.

The MKZ will feature a new, more powerful 3.5-litre V6 engine, redesigned front end, and available all-wheel-drive. "Our new 3.5-litre V6 coupled with an advanced six-speed automatic provides an innovative solution for better fuel efficiency, more refinement, more power and clean emissions, without any sacrifices," says Barb Samardzich, vice-president of Ford's powertrain operations.

The MKZ further refines Lincoln's traditional waterfall grille, adding 17-inch alloy wheels in machined aluminum or chrome finish with low-profile tires, chromed beltline trim and mirror caps, a flush rear bumper surface, twin chrome-tipped exhaust pipes and horizontal reflectors in the lower fascia.

don't changes like this cost money and look bad in the public eye??
WTF? How does changing a model after its only been out for one year save money??? No wonder they are in trouble with moves like this. And does this mean the 07 Fusion will get the 3.5L as well?
nass,Feb 8 2006, 09:03 AM Wrote:don't changes like this cost money and look bad in the public eye??
[right][snapback]169064[/snapback][/right]

Yes to both
Lincoln owners = PWNT.
Or the collectors/speculators/vultures go crazy buying up '06 Zephyr's since they are essentially a "collectors item" now owing to their rarity. :lol:

(Don't laugh, I've seen stranger things <_< )

NefCanuck
They released the new fwd lincoln, it was more popular than they thought, now they wanna outperform the acura's and cadillac cts in it's direct competition.

Althought it may be really soon in the game for this, it probaly isn't that enormous of a change anyway, just a front end makeover.
I think they're simply taking advantage of some significant product changes to correct a bad choice in names.

Nobody remembers the original Lincoln Zephyr which was a car ahead of its time ... most people familiar with the name think of a tarted up Ford Granada -- not the kind of association you want for your newest luxury vehicle.

Linking the name change to a product change means they don't have to admit to making the mistake in the first place.
As long as it doesn't look like the new Navigator, I just looked at pics of the new one, and I'm still cleaning up the barf off the keyboard.:0
Guess I better run right out and buy one.
meford4u,Feb 8 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:Guess I better run right out and buy one.
[right][snapback]169126[/snapback][/right]

Hey, you might actually get a good deal on one now :)

I mean resale value of those things has just been corroded away worse than if you'd dropped the thing in hydrochloric acid. Hrm, wonder how much the Focus would be worth in trade? I kid, I kid :rofl:

NefCanuck
What a bunch of old women.

Lincoln is moving to standardize their names.

MKS (Mark S)
MKX (Mark X)
MKZ (Mark Z)

Lincoln has been using "Mark" for a long time.

Does it cost money? Yes.

Rear badge.
New literature. Which they would have to do anyways for the 2007 model.

That's it. Should break the bank.
Here is a pic
[Image: 07LincolnMKZ_05.jpg]
OAC_Sparky,Feb 8 2006, 05:04 PM Wrote:What a bunch of old women.

MKS (Mark S)
MKX (Mark X)
MKZ (Mark Z)

[right][snapback]169168[/snapback][/right]

And you forgot the Mark LT -- what will that become in the new standardized naming system?

And you're right they've been using Mark for a long time ... so then why did they go with Zephyr in the first place?

That's what I thought ... it was a mistake.
ZTWsquared,Feb 9 2006, 12:37 AM Wrote:And you forgot the Mark LT -- what will that become in the new standardized naming system?

And you're right they've been using Mark for a long time ... so then why did they go with Zephyr in the first place?[right][snapback]169247[/snapback][/right]
[Image: 96%20A%201937%20Lincoln%20Zephyr%20side.jpg]1937 Lincoln Zephyr

Remember that up until last month the MKX that we are to build in Oakville was to be the Aviator. Badging was already contracting when they changes their naming strategy.

Quote:That's what I thought ... it was a mistake.
Depends on what you mean by mistake. That you don't like the name? The Zephyr is the best selling Lincoln at the moment,the sales are way better than projected. We mak even build them in Oakville -- we can on our new tooling.

If you mean because they changed the name at all? Well, maybe, they caught it in time before the release of the Aviator but didn't have that luxury with the Zephyr. At least it's not because the car's not selling.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 9 2006, 07:36 AM Wrote:Depends on what you mean by mistake. That you don't like the name? The Zephyr is the best selling Lincoln at the moment,the sales are way better than projected. [right][snapback]169249[/snapback][/right]
I think you're missing my point .... which might actually mean we're in violent agreement.

Launching a vehicle and then changing its name the next model year is indicative of some sort of mistake being made -- and IMO Ford came to believe that the name Zephyr wasn't getting the response and recognition they first thought it would. Zephyr by the way means “light wind” or “gentle wind” and IIRC the reference was with respect to the original Zephyr’s ground breaking aero look.

But I've sat in enough product planning meetings at COB and CHQ to know that nobody plans on launching a vehicle with a new nameplate only to change the name the very next model year. In my 15 years working with Ford I can't recall it ever happening or even being contemplated.

That Ford is doing this now, and especially considering the sales success of the Zephyr as you point out, is indicative of a mistake.

I think the mistake was made when they named the Zephyr in the first place, as I pointed out in my first post ... because those consumers that even recognize the name associate it with the mid-80s Granada-based vehicle and not the work of art you showed in your post. And those consumers that don't recognize the name find it funny looking and sounding and some.people aren’t sure how to pronounce it – none of these things make for good marketing

I for one did like the name but only because I was familiar with the 30's Zephyr for which it was named.

My point was this: if you're going to change the name of a vehicle after one model year, linking that change with a substantial product upgrade is a good way to mask the real reason for the name change.

But any way you look at it, this name change is indicative of some sort of mistake and IMO it was naming it Zephyr in the first place. And even though I don’t like the new naming standard, I do think it makes sense from a consumer recognition point of view.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 8 2006, 03:04 PM Wrote:What a bunch of old women.

MKS (Mark S)
MKX (Mark X)
MKZ (Mark Z)

Does it cost money? Yes.

Rear badge.
New literature. Which they would have to do anyways for the 2007 model.

That's it. Should break the bank.
[right][snapback]169168[/snapback][/right]

You forgot to mention the redesigned front end. I guess thats a freebie?
But glad to see Lincoln is being original and changing all the names of all their models to some alpha numeric system just like all other high end brands. :rolleyes:
ZTWsquared Wrote:I think you're missing my point .... which might actually mean we're in violent agreement.
Maybe we are. When I was reading the thread, I was reading comments as "well the Zephyr isn't selling, so they're changing the name." Which of course, isn't the case. Personally, I like the name, I don;t associate it with the Granada version at all. Did they really make enough of those to remember them? :o
SVT ZX3,Feb 9 2006, 10:49 AM Wrote:You forgot to mention the redesigned front end. I guess thats a freebie? [right][snapback]169347[/snapback][/right]
The front end change is not directly associable to the name change -- from what I recall, there is no "Zephyr" logo on the front. IF it did, obviously it would cost more money.

Quote:But glad to see Lincoln is being original and changing all the names of all their models to some alpha numeric system just like all other high end brands. :rolleyes:
I prefer the names to numbers as well.
Dear Ford Motor Company of North America.

Believe it or not chrome was the s*** 40 years ago. Its ok to have some, but not cover the whole f***ing car in it.

Thank you for maybe reading this.
signed:
Someone from the 21st century