FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rattle Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey people. anyone know what would be causing a rattling sound that i can hear in the cabin (the loudness of it, and apparent proximity of the sound has me thinking its coming from inside the car, rather than mech. components outside the car), coming from the passenger side, only when i turn left, and it seems to be only when the car or ambient temp is cold? bizarre, yes. annoying, yes. i thought at first it might've been a spring or something like that in the passenger seat bracket. but considering it only happens when i turn left, and only sometimes, its got me puzzled. thanks for any help.
heat shield?
your engine is becoming loose. I bet you've been doing some hard accelerating. I would stop that.

ps. I concur with meford... sounds like a heat shield. It's mounted to the underside of the car so the viberations would trickle into the cabin and become amplified in the cabin. Take a quick peek underneath and see.
What kind of rattling sound? Hard to describe...I know, but a heat shiel has a pretty distintive sound..like, youd know if it was a heat shield....
Manual or Standard???

Could be the pesky "gear roll over noise"
Certain parts of ANY car will vibrate more when it's stupid cold out.

I get double the vibration off anything first thing in the morning. As the car warms up, they go away.

It's just the Focus getting older :)
Possibilities are endless considering its a ford focus :)

1- standard shifter noise
2- maybe a drive shaft or CV joints
3- Engine mounts

it could be really anything.
hmm, judging by the descripton, sounds like your everyday normal sounding ford focus to me..
My Focus has a squeaky blower fan when I start it up on a cold morning. <_<
jcarle,Feb 7 2006, 08:17 PM Wrote:My Focus has a squeaky blower fan when I start it up on a cold morning.  <_<
[right][snapback]169010[/snapback][/right]

I get that too... some guys have had theirs replaced under warranty. I'm out of warranty, hence I live with it as it doesn't affect the output any (yet).
mtx. i do accelerate hard, but not max out rpm's or anything like that. i get that squeeky noise too when i start her up after she sits for a while. that just started happening after warranty too. as for the type of rattling, i dunno. its a "higher pitch" type rattle, one that would resemble a small washer in the door panel or something. when i lean in closer to when i hear it, to find out where its coming from, it sorta sounds like its from passenger foot well area. maybe.

thanks peeps. i'll give the heat shield a peek.
"its from passenger foot well area"

sticking with my original guess.........heat shield
meford4u,Feb 8 2006, 03:17 PM Wrote:"its from passenger foot well area"

sticking with my original guess.........heat shield
[right][snapback]169144[/snapback][/right]

what heat sheild? there is none in that area.

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 8 2006, 08:21 AM Wrote:
jcarle,Feb 7 2006, 08:17 PM Wrote:My Focus has a squeaky blower fan when I start it up on a cold morning.  <_<
[right][snapback]169010[/snapback][/right]

I get that too... some guys have had theirs replaced under warranty. I'm out of warranty, hence I live with it as it doesn't affect the output any (yet).
[right][snapback]169075[/snapback][/right]

X3, only on the 1st setting though, not to hi-jack the thread, but anyone else had theirs replaced underwarranty, it doesn't bother me that much, but if its one thing I can get replaced for free now, rather than pay later.....how tough is the fan to replace?
Mine sorta makes a squeaky noise on the blower when it firsts starts but only when the car is cold, and I mean sub -15. My car is a 2005.
Design fault then? Bad blower motor bearing grease... it s***s itself in cold weather till it warms up a tad?
seems to be the case, as mine doesn't make the sound starting it up after the car was running for a while. leave her for a couple hours or sumpthin, and i can expect to hear the squeekin sound. p.s. haven't got a chance to look at heat shield or anything undercarriage related as of yet.