FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Camshafts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay... I have been playing around with the idea to purchase this item but there are lots to choose from, so I'm not really sure which one to go with or which stage.

Just so you know, I'm not planning on going FI.

Camshafts that i know of....

Cat Cams
Crower
Esslinger
Ford Racing
Comp
Steeda

Any help/suggestions in this matter, or what your running/experiences would be great!

Thanks!

Tim
I think either HardKore (Kevin) has swapped cams before....

Try asking him.
We had the FR stage 2 cams in the car. One side is still for sale :lol: Unfortunately they were snapped in two upon shipment.

We now have a new set af stage 2 FR in the car. Can't really tell you much more than that because the car hasn't been tuned yet.

If you stick with any of these 4 you should be fine

Crower
Esslinger
Ford Racing
Comp

And you don't really expect to do this job yourself do you? It's not impossible, but it takes a bit of knowledge to do the job without damaging the cams and lifters.
No... this job I do not plan on doing myself!

I'm still a beginner when it comes to playing with my engine! Somethings I will do but others I won't even think about doing!

I do have a mechanic who loves to add parts to my car!! hehe

my suggestion, get the adjustable cam gears installed all together if u don't already have them because removing the cam gears and reinstall them is part of the installation of the cams.

installing cams on a focus is not hard, u just need to know the steps (e.g. follow a write up), i've done it myself.

i've got the crower stage II and kent cam gears tuned... been in the car for a little more than 2 years.
they are good, good smooth idle (just a little rougher than stock), good torque and hp (mine was 146hp/141tq with some other basic bolt ons and it was with a NON-hi-flow cat)

from what ppl said, the FR/crane stage II will give lower power compared to the crower stage II. Cat cams are good in power but they have rough idles. (note that i've never tried them, i just got these info from other ppl)

also, steeda cams are the same as FR/crane cams!

if i were to choose again, i'd go for cat cams for the power, and raise the idle to 950-1000rpm to avoid the rough idle (mine is set to 850rpm now and idle is perfect already with crower IIs)
Hi, I've try

Cat 2
Crower 2 new grind
FR2

It depends on what is your goal with the car. But my favorite are the cat cams. #2290302

FR2 are good cams, but if you want to rev it hard and pull away on the highway...they are not for you. But the are torque monster. For a daily driver town car they are excellent.

And crower...toooooo much lift, tooooooo high power band...

I've a video of cat cams vs crower cams ...

http://ggr.dyndns.org/download.php?op=mydown&did=1
http://ggr.dyndns.org/download/cat%20vs%...r_0001.wmv