FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ownership Transfer Spouse To Spouse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looks like it is getting close to the time to be rid of the Focus.

:fluffy: :banger: :headbang: :beerchug: :D [Image: wooani.gif] :fluffy:

Any one here ever transfered ownership of a vehicle in Ontario to a spouse or family member or inherited a car.

I assume sales tax is overlooked?

How are plates handled?
*vulture*

You partin it out? :unsure:
Flofocus,Feb 6 2006, 01:21 PM Wrote:*vulture*

You partin it out? :unsure:
[right][snapback]168696[/snapback][/right]

Nope, other than he OZ wheels (which have been pre-sold to another member who shall remain nameless for now) it's going "as is where is" MACH's and all. I will have some stock parts to sell though.
yes. And your wrong about taxes being overlooked. They didn't for us when we got the car from grandma. Had to pay the retail average price on taxes for the car. For us it was $600 I believe.

Plates, I believe she needs to get new ones and you get to turn the old ones in and get $$$ back on the portion left on your stickers.
boo.
Quote:Retail Sales Tax
When you buy a used vehicle privately, the retail sales tax you pay is based on the purchase price or the vehicle's wholesale value, whichever is more. If the buyer paid less than the Canadian Red Book value and an appraisal supports a lower price because of the condition of the vehicle, tax is paid on the declared price or appraised value, whichever is higher. Any reduction in tax is available only when a completed appraisal is given to a licence issuer prior to changing ownership. If the transfer has been completed and tax has been paid on the average wholesale value, an appraisal must be sent in with an application for a refund to the Ministry of Finance.

Appraisal forms are available from Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing offices and Ministry of Finance offices.

Tax Exemption
Payment of retail sales tax is not required when a vehicle is a gift and is being transferred between close family members, which only includes a spouse, parent, step-parent, grand-parent, son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law or mother-in-law. Only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months.

A statement sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths will be required for certain transfers, such as gifts between family members and transfers for insurance purposes. Diplomats and Status Indians who qualify will be able to complete a transfer without paying tax by simply showing their identity card.

Source: Ministry of Transportation of Ontario

when I took over ownership of the 90 GMC pick up and 66' Mustang from my dad I had him right there with all our id's and I think it was only $15 on each transfere, and the plates changed over into my name as they allow it, but they make you pay up to your birthday if it's in another month on the plates.
Quote:Only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months.

Oh believe me, I won't be going through this again.
i got owned by grandma :thumbsdownsmileyanim:
meford4u,Feb 6 2006, 05:53 PM Wrote:i got owned by grandma :thumbsdownsmileyanim:
[right][snapback]168759[/snapback][/right]

Hahahaha Grandma FTW :lol:
meford4u,Feb 6 2006, 04:53 PM Wrote:i got owned by grandma :thumbsdownsmileyanim:
[right][snapback]168759[/snapback][/right]

Yes. Yes, you did.
2001 ZTS,Feb 6 2006, 01:19 PM Wrote:Looks like it is getting close to the time to be rid of the Focus.

:fluffy: :banger:  :headbang:  :beerchug:  :D [Image: wooani.gif] :fluffy:

Any one here ever transfered ownership of a vehicle in Ontario to a spouse or family member or inherited a car.

I assume sales tax is overlooked?

How are plates handled?
[right][snapback]168694[/snapback][/right]

If you get the affidavit sworn before a commissioner of oaths yeah. Which I actually happen to be. If you're willing to come to Mississauga I can fix you up assuming you have the affidavit filled out (The ministry should have a blank one to give you if you request it) PM me

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 6 2006, 09:16 PM Wrote:If you get the affidavit sworn before a commissioner of oaths yeah.  Which I actually happen to be.  If you're willing to come to Mississauga I can fix you up assuming you have the affidavit filled out (The ministry should have a blank one to give you if you request it) PM me

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]168799[/snapback][/right]

Thatnks bud, coming to Mr&Mississauga is no problem at all. I'll let you know if and when.
2001 ZTS,Feb 7 2006, 08:31 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Feb 6 2006, 09:16 PM Wrote:If you get the affidavit sworn before a commissioner of oaths yeah.  Which I actually happen to be.  If you're willing to come to Mississauga I can fix you up assuming you have the affidavit filled out (The ministry should have a blank one to give you if you request it) PM me

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]168799[/snapback][/right]

Thatnks bud, coming to Mr&Mississauga is no problem at all. I'll let you know if and when.
[right][snapback]168830[/snapback][/right]

Gotcha, (trying to get it renewed as it runs out in the middle of May '06) I'm trying to find a live human being at any government office to get information from on who I write to and how much it'll cost to renew it. I feel like I'm the only goverment employee dumb enough to actually be answering their phone today :(

NefCanuck