FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Hope You All Bought Your Ford Gts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ford to Stop Making GT, High-Performance SUV
From Bloomberg News

Ford Motor Co. said it would end production of the $150,000 GT sports car this year and scrap plans for a high-performance sport utility vehicle as it moves to cut costs and reduce losses in North America.

Ford sold 1,032 GTs last year after starting production in 2003 to mark its centennial celebration. The Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker also is canceling the Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin, a 390-horsepower SUV.

Chief Executive William Clay Ford Jr. approved production of the GT in 2002, a month after he announced his first restructuring plan for the company.

[Image: 2005-Ford-GT-FA-White-Studio-1280x960.jpg]
Not exactly scrap the car... but halt the production and keep it on the back burner.

It's a smart idea... considering the NA market in lately.
I thought the GT was a limited run of only a couple years anyway?
I heard they were going to stop production of the GT and introduce the shelby concept....

all rhumors and hearsay tho
WTF? Cancelling the Sport Trac Adrenalin? Whats the point of even having SVT around anymore? I give up, Ford is F'ing retarded.
If it's not a pickup that will sell millions, they don't care anymore.

Pickups + fleet = majority of their business. The rest are all niche sales.

I will admit, they've gone from bad to crazy. They've cancelled every afforable performance vehicle they've made in the last 10 years, and priced the rest they do make out of reach of the common individual.

Performance is power, and to Ford power isn't cheap nor should it be readily available. Therefore, performance is expensive. Either you become inured to the fact that performance is expensive, or you just don't buy fast Fords.
SVT ZX3,Feb 6 2006, 10:12 AM Wrote:Whats the point of even having SVT around anymore? [right][snapback]168641[/snapback][/right]

There probably isn't. If you want a performance Ford product just buy the Mazda, Volvo, Linclon or Jag equivalent.

With the Shelby and Cobra names being used you don't even need something called a SVT Mustang either.

Performance trucks are just a dumb idea to begin with no matter what they are called.
Well I think its offical for me now, last Ford EVER!!!! Just when GM is bringing out SS models like crazy, and the SRT line up is even spread to a Jeep vehicle, Ford has pretty much killed off SVT! Thats it for me, I'm going Japanese from now on....Mazda or Subaru 4 Life!
SVT ZX3,Feb 6 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:Well I think its offical for me now, last Ford EVER!!!! Just when GM is bringing out SS models like crazy, and the SRT line up is even spread to a Jeep vehicle, Ford has pretty much killed off SVT! Thats it for me, I'm going Japanese from now on....Mazda or Subaru 4 Life!
[right][snapback]168704[/snapback][/right]

You're not the only one!
ANTHONYD,Feb 6 2006, 01:52 PM Wrote:
SVT ZX3,Feb 6 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:Well I think its offical for me now, last Ford EVER!!!! Just when GM is bringing out SS models like crazy, and the SRT line up is even spread to a Jeep vehicle, Ford has pretty much killed off SVT! Thats it for me, I'm going Japanese from now on....Mazda or Subaru 4 Life!

You're not the only one!
[right][snapback]168705[/snapback][/right]

Very true, and I understand your frustration. But truthfully, they overinflate what they do to a car (all manufacturers do) and if you want true speed and a fun car to drive, i would suggest you do it yourself.

The new 2.3 Focus, to take as an example, with some minor add ons, would be equal to the SVT you own now. Now bolt a turbo on that car and a handling package with better tires........your kicking that svt's ass.

So why bother when you can make it better for the same if not less money and the pride of knowing this is your car and this is exatly what you want. Not some cookie cutter model.

I am not cutting down the SVT boys and girls, just making a point.
Insurance reasons? :lol:
the new 3 letter of porformance SRT
It's much cooler to take a car that's slow and make it fast, then to go buy a fast car and not put any work into it...
This was my first Ford and I honestly think it will be my last. There is NOTHING else ford has out that even spikes my interest.
jcarle,Feb 6 2006, 08:40 PM Wrote:It's much cooler to take a car that's slow and make it fast, then to go buy a fast car and not put any work into it...
[right][snapback]168779[/snapback][/right]

That would be a frecnh response :lol: put $$ into something and still be slower and cost 2x as much :rolleyes:
DD1,Feb 6 2006, 08:14 PM Wrote:
jcarle,Feb 6 2006, 08:40 PM Wrote:It's much cooler to take a car that's slow and make it fast, then to go buy a fast car and not put any work into it...
[right][snapback]168779[/snapback][/right]

That would be a frecnh response :lol: put $$ into something and still be slower and cost 2x as much :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]168798[/snapback][/right]

I was pushing 195km/h with my 92 Dodge Colt 1.5L... :)
meford4u,Feb 6 2006, 04:58 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Feb 6 2006, 01:52 PM Wrote:

You're not the only one!
[right][snapback]168705[/snapback][/right]

Very true, and I understand your frustration. But truthfully, they overinflate what they do to a car (all manufacturers do) and if you want true speed and a fun car to drive, i would suggest you do it yourself.

The new 2.3 Focus, to take as an example, with some minor add ons, would be equal to the SVT you own now. Now bolt a turbo on that car and a handling package with better tires........your kicking that svt's ass.

So why bother when you can make it better for the same if not less money and the pride of knowing this is your car and this is exatly what you want. Not some cookie cutter model.

I am not cutting down the SVT boys and girls, just making a point.
[right][snapback]168761[/snapback][/right]

I know what your saying, and thats exactly what I did with my Mustang (built it up myself vs. buying a factory hotrod), and I hear what your saying about the focus, I've seen the dyno charts of 2.3 Duratecs with the Cosworth stg.2 package and am very impressed, but I'm not mad at my car, I'm upset that Ford would let the best factory performance team in north america fade away and crumble into nothing, before finally (most likely) having it severed by accountants just to save a few bucks.
It's a very limited market share (SVT). It's a nice nieche market, but very expensive to maintain. I wish they would stay too. Maybe one day they may return to their former glory, but the company is hurting financially BIG TIME. And keeping a small market is not cost effective.

It's a hard thing to do, but unfortunately one that must be taken in order for the company to survive long term.

Truth be known, with all the aftermarket accessories for most cars, it's hard to keep up and not modify your car to your own taste.

with the Foose Mustang and Shelby coming out, how can SVT make it much better? They could however, make it worse. Much worse.

And the ST Focus is pretty sweet aside from the fact it's a sedan. WTF wants a souped up sedan?

Lightning? Get a Harley. Same s***e bigger truck.

That's enough for now.
meford4u,Feb 7 2006, 09:47 AM Wrote:Lightning?  Get a Harley.  Same s***e bigger truck.

[right][snapback]168846[/snapback][/right]

If it had a blower i'd agree.
meford4u,Feb 7 2006, 09:47 AM Wrote:And the ST Focus is pretty sweet aside from the fact it's a sedan.  WTF wants a souped up sedan?

Lightning?  Get a Harley.  Same s***e bigger truck.

That's enough for now.
[right][snapback]168846[/snapback][/right]

Hey, some of us like the sedan body style eh? :P

Besides, who are the cops gonna be eyeballin'?

The hot lookin' hatch with all the bling or the stealth sedan?

At least here in Peel Region I know the answer :lol:

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2