FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help! Rim Tire Size Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a newbie question. Please bear with me.

Currently I'm looking to get steel rims plus tires for my Focus. Given that the only size of the affordable steel rims I found is 14" - what size tires should I look for them?

Also please tell me what tire size is necessary for 15" and 16" steel rims?

All I'm asking in reality is just a quick (and clear) rim size, tire size explanation as they might relate to Ford Focus.

Google research confused me with its "nominal", "relational", "proportional" terminology stuff so I need a fellow Ford Focus owner to explain it all to me in simple terms I can understand.

Also if you know a good link about this stuff please don't hesitate to post it.

Thanks!
The Focus bolt pattern is 4 x 108mm. If you have rear discs on a 2000-04 Focus, 14" wheels will fit and will be your best bet in the snow... especially at 185/65R14 sizing. That's your smallest contact patch available to a Focus stock... your best bet for snow/ice traction.

The 15" stock size is 195/60R15 and the stock 16" size is 205/50R16. Actually, I'm not totally sure on the 15" sidewall height. Someone wanna weigh in?
Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by "rear discs on a 2000-04 Focus"?

My year make and model is '02 ZX5 it any consolation...
Rear disc brakes, as opposed to rear drum brakes.

Drum brakes - 14s will fit fine, but they'll be a tad funny looking on the ZX5.

Disc brakes - 14s should fit without issues.

Most hatch guys don't run 14s in the winter as a matter of personal preference (vanity?) but they'll ultimately give you more control than the 195-width 15" iterations.
Thanks a lot, you've actually taught me quite a bit here...

When you say "more control in the winter" you obviously mean driving in the snowy conditions... does it mean narrower/smaller rim + witner tires? The reason I'm this careful is because I actually want to just throw on a set of All-Seasons this time around.....
Well... if you have the stock ZX5 15s... good all-seasons will let you indeed drive through all 4 seasons. The downside is a lack of outright traction in the winter, a lack of outright performance in the summer and potentially damaging your nice factory alloy rims due to frequent tire rotations (2 times yearly, not counting replacement due to wear).

My setup:

Winter - 14" stock (for sedan) steel rims, Goodyear Integrity all-season tires - 185/65/R14 (factory stock). Really good traction... for an all-season. Never been stuck yet, and I live in North Bay, Ontario... 3 1/2 hours north of Toronto.

Summer - 16" Focus "S2 Edition" aluminum rims, Firestone Firehawk GTA all-season tires - 205/50R16 size. They're due for replacement before the summer rims are mounted, and I'm trying to decide what to do about that right now myself.

Yes, the smaller rim in the winter and narrower tire width equate to more PSI on your contact patch, holding you steadier when driving / braking / accelerating, etc. You get the idea.
Thanks again you've been very helpful.

Do you know of any buy/sell/trade forums for Ford Focus stuff where local (Southern Ontario) users are predominantly more active?