FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Idle Motor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anybody please tell me where is the IDLE MOTOR and how to change it?
Focus 2000 spi
nos?

Good question... I've never heard of that.
You've got two things on the SPI that will specifically affect engine idle... the Idle Air Bypass on the throttle butterfly plate and the Intake Manifold Runner Control motor and butterflies. This is in addition to the tried-and-true "other stuff", such as vacuum and other more serious matters. If checking the stuff below results in nothing being found amiss, consult a mechanic.

There's no idle motor on a SPI. *goes hunting for a pic of a stock SPI TB* It has idle air bypass grooves, the same as the Zetec and SVT... to the best of my knowledge. The throttle body is cable-actuated, the same as any other 1st-gen Focus motor.

You might want to remove the worm gear hose clamp that secures the stock air intake pipe to the airbox and to the throttle body. From there, on a bright day preferably, inspect the TB itself to make sure there's no debris or buildup around the edges of the TB butterfly. Using a DAMP cloth (with water only to start... and I reiterate DAMP), wipe the interior of the TB inlet down and gently along the throttle plate.

Also, to check if the IMRC is functioning correctly, rev the engine to 3200 RPMs. If the IMRC motor and actuator don't engage (and you can visibly see this standing in front of the car with the hood popped, looking at the actuator as it sits behind the distributor), you might have a burnt out relay, motor, or cracked wiring.

EDIT - I'll also note that if the IMRC is stuck "open", as it was when I modded the car last fall for expressly that purpose, the car will stumble at idle and hesitate off the line. The reason for this is that the idle air grooves on the TB plate are designed to let enough air through to run the engine - but only feeding half the intake runners in doing so. When you're funnelling air through double the intake runners in the intake manifold, the airflow is "broken" and not enough to keep the engine from surging and bucking a tad... because the required air is taking double the paths to get there, and you're filling double the intake manifold volume with half the air required. Make sure you check the operation of the IMRC - much easier with a friend and a tachometer.
the car stalls mostly when i put in park.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 1 2006, 08:38 AM Wrote:You've got two things on the SPI that will specifically affect engine idle... the Idle Air Bypass on the throttle butterfly plate and the Intake Manifold Runner Control motor and butterflies. This is in addition to the tried-and-true "other stuff", such as vacuum and other more serious matters. If checking the stuff below results in nothing being found amiss, consult a mechanic.

There's no idle motor on a SPI. *goes hunting for a pic of a stock SPI TB* It has idle air bypass grooves, the same as the Zetec and SVT... to the best of my knowledge. The throttle body is cable-actuated, the same as any other 1st-gen Focus motor.

You might want to remove the worm gear hose clamp that secures the stock air intake pipe to the airbox and to the throttle body. From there, on a bright day preferably, inspect the TB itself to make sure there's no debris or buildup around the edges of the TB butterfly. Using a DAMP cloth (with water only to start... and I reiterate DAMP), wipe the interior of the TB inlet down and gently along the throttle plate.

Also, to check if the IMRC is functioning correctly, rev the engine to 3200 RPMs. If the IMRC motor and actuator don't engage (and you can visibly see this standing in front of the car with the hood popped, looking at the actuator as it sits behind the distributor), you might have a burnt out relay, motor, or cracked wiring.

EDIT - I'll also note that if the IMRC is stuck "open", as it was when I modded the car last fall for expressly that purpose, the car will stumble at idle and hesitate off the line. The reason for this is that the idle air grooves on the TB plate are designed to let enough air through to run the engine - but only feeding half the intake runners in doing so. When you're funnelling air through double the intake runners in the intake manifold, the airflow is "broken" and not enough to keep the engine from surging and bucking a tad... because the required air is taking double the paths to get there, and you're filling double the intake manifold volume with half the air required. Make sure you check the operation of the IMRC - much easier with a friend and a tachometer.
[right][snapback]167846[/snapback][/right]
Could be bad gas. I had the same prorblem last year and thought it was the tranny going. Try using gas from Shell/Esso or Petro Canada. I used some from the MacEwan Stations and the gas there seems to be not as good at times (the ethanol sucks really bad on mileage).

magicstar56,Feb 1 2006, 10:24 AM Wrote:the car stalls mostly when i put in park[right][snapback]167874[/snapback][/right]

Check the IMRC and the throttle body. If it's dirty and / or blocked at the idle air intake point, it'll cause that problem.
Check visually and listen for vacuum leaks at the rear of the engine bay around the throttle body.
meford4u,Feb 1 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:Check visually and listen for vacuum leaks at the rear of the engine bay around the throttle body.
[right][snapback]167915[/snapback][/right]

And to check this....recommended by Turbo Tom, use a 2 foot garden hose and put 1 end to your ear and the other in the area, you'll hear a loud vacum sound when you find a leak.
Flofocus,Feb 1 2006, 05:15 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Feb 1 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:Check visually and listen for vacuum leaks at the rear of the engine bay around the throttle body.
[right][snapback]167915[/snapback][/right]

And to check this....recommended by Turbo Tom, use a 2 foot garden hose and put 1 end to your ear and the other in the area, you'll hear a loud vacum sound when you find a leak.
[right][snapback]167918[/snapback][/right]

also if you whip it around over your head it makes a really cool woooooooooooosh sound

:)
No, thats a BOV sound, thats good. :P