FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gold Vs Green Coolant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all;

I had my coolant system flushed last week at Markville Ford and although it's hard to tell for some reason, it seems that they refilled the reservoir with green coolant instead of gold. Actually, it looks like a mixture. I opened the cap and looked in, but even with a flashlight it's hard to tell for sure because it seems to be yellow, but with a green tint to it.

Just looking at the reservoir, the bottom of the tank seems to have a green tint to it and the top looks yellowish. The tank itself also has a yellowish tint to it, so it might be just changing the way the coolant looks. But it definately looks more green than it used to.

So, would they mix it? Does it matter if they do? Does it matter if they used green instead of gold coolant? The part number for the coolant on my bill is "cvc*7*a" but I haven't been able to establish what kind of coolant this is.

Any advice is appreciated!
unmixed coolant is pure radioactive green, the premixed stuff looks pretty much clear with a green tint to it. I've never heard or seen "gold" coolant. If you're talking about the old stuff you had in your car before they flushed it, maybe it was old and turned a gold colour?

if the Ford dealer did it I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think they'd be dumb enough to put in something bad for your car.
nass,Jan 30 2006, 09:21 AM Wrote:unmixed coolant is pure radioactive green, the premixed stuff looks pretty much clear with a green tint to it. I've never heard or seen "gold" coolant. If you're talking about the old stuff you had in your car before they flushed it, maybe it was old and turned a gold colour?

if the Ford dealer did it I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think they'd be dumb enough to put in something bad for your car.
[right][snapback]167493[/snapback][/right]

The coolant that came in the car is some kind of gold long-life coolant that had a definite yellow/gold colour to it. It is shown on the top of the resevoir that yellow coolant is ok, but not orange. It doesn't mention green. Not sure what the differences are besides colour and supposedly being longer life.

Ok, did a bit more searching around and this seems to match the part number on my invoice:

ford gold coolant

Just still wondering why it appears to have a green tint to it... maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.
Maybe they didnt drain the system properly
The only way you can tell is if you open up the resevoir and physically draw up some of the coolant to see its colour.

Green coolant was used from 2000 to 2002. Flush/fill interval should be every 2 years or 50,000 km.

Gold coolant was used somewhere at the start of the 2003 model year. Flush/fill interval should be about 4 yrs/100,000 km.

Ideally, you're supposed to stick with whatever came with the car originally. Some people have said you can go back and forth, but I'm the type of person that will just go with what was outlined in my owner's manual and maintenance guide. You should never mix and match the coolant.

If there's some green stuff in there, maybe they had put the wrong stuff in and had to purge it before they put in the right gold coolant. It has happened.
he could be right ive got a gold kind of coolant also