FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gage Malfunction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been noticing that while driving sometimes my gages just swap to the max, down to zero and then back to normal. I just changed my alternator because i had a bad regulator, but the problem continues to come back..not as often like before. Does anybody have the same problem or maybe a clue to what it can be or what i can check? Thank you
Is anything resetting? Like your clock or your tripodometer (whatever its called)?
Flofocus,Jan 29 2006, 07:16 PM Wrote:..Like your clock or your tripodometer (whatever its called)?
[right][snapback]167454[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Most cases I've heard of sweeping gauges suggest a charging system malfunction. So, you're on the right track.

Check to see if the battery cables are on the terminals tight and/or if there's any corrosion. If the shop replaced the alternator, make sure the cables/connectors are on nice and snug. Also, check electrical grounds too. Since the alternator went on you, it might be a sign your battery is dying (due to improper charging). Have your battery tested too.

Also, check the length of cable from the alternator to the battery itself, and the main battery ground cable to the chassis for any cracks / breaks and corrosion as well. Faults with any of the major power delivery cables will cause you to have issues as you've discussed.