FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Home Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got a question on what you guys pay for Natural gas per m3? Since our new house uses lots of Natural gas and considering all I heard in the news the last few months about the prices doubling I was thinking about locking in a rate.

Having no idea what it costs, I'm sort of stuck?

Any Help??
Im not sure, but keep asking these questions, cuz I'll be asking the same a few months down the road!! :P
Flofocus,Jan 26 2006, 12:49 PM Wrote:Im not sure, but keep asking these questions, cuz I'll be asking the same a few months down the road!!  :P
[right][snapback]167073[/snapback][/right]

LOL no problem trust me there are soooo many questions. :blink:

Oh and the closing costs. OMG the closing costs!! :(
Please share....

PM me if you want! ;)
There is the rate per m^3 and then there is "everything else". Just because the cubic rate may be low doesn't necessarily mean you'll save anything once everything else is added up.

There are fixed charges and your variable charges (those based on consumption).

It's same as an electricty bill where you have consumption charegs, transmission charges and all sort of other stuff.

I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly how a bill is broken down right now but I do happen to have my recent history of my nat gas expenses as I have been doing a lot of figuring and budgeting lately:

Jul 04 $35
Aug 04 $33
Sep 04 $38
Oct 04 $23
Nov 04 $90
Dec 04 $158
Jan 05 $212
Feb 05 $206
Mar 05 $235
Apr 05 $107
May 05 $73
Jun 05 $56

Total $1,266

Detached house with gas heat and water.

I've never heard anything good about ANY fixed rate utility plan.
Flofocus,Jan 26 2006, 01:49 PM Wrote:Im not sure, but keep asking these questions, cuz I'll be asking the same a few months down the road!!  :P
[right][snapback]167073[/snapback][/right]
Ditto ...

I've been meaning to check out these guys -- they advertise a lot but don't have the door to door sales people.

Euro Ford Fan,Jan 26 2006, 01:43 PM Wrote:Any Help??
[right][snapback]167072[/snapback][/right]
You may be sorry you asked ... here's what my bill looks like (not including my hot water heater rental) from Enbridge:

Customer charge: 11.25 / month (same every month)

Gas supply charge: $0.325000 per cubic meter (I use between 65 and 490 cubic meters per month - 3100 sq. ft, 9 ft ceilings, high efficiency furnace, programable thermostat, hot water heater, 2 adults, 2 kids)

Delivery charge: can't tell where this comes from, but looks to be about 45% of the Gas Supply Charge.

Typical month:

Customer charge: 11.25
Gas Supply charge: 200 c/m = $65
Delivery charge: 65 x 45% = $29.25

TOTAL BEFORE TAXES: $105.50

FAWK ME.
Guys thanks very much for the info, it really helps in planning my expenses. I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to figuring out monthly costs. I figured it would be between around $85 a month for Hydro and the same for Gas which isn't too bad. I guess it will be a live and learn process.

Now that I understand the breakdown of the bill it makes sense that the m3 cost just like hours used for Hydro is really no big deal by itself it's all the rest that gives you a big bill. Hydro debt retirement Grrrrrrr

I think I'm going to wait and see what our bill is like for the first few months and then decide.
2001 ZTS,Jan 26 2006, 01:10 PM Wrote:There is the rate per m^3 and then there is "everything else". Just because the cubic rate may be low doesn't necessarily mean you'll save anything once everything else is added up.

There are fixed charges and your variable charges (those based on consumption).

It's same as an electricty bill where you have consumption charegs, transmission charges and all sort of other stuff.

I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly how a bill is broken down right now but I do happen to have my recent history of my nat gas expenses as I have been doing a lot of figuring and budgeting lately:

Jul 04    $35
Aug 04  $33
Sep 04  $38
Oct 04    $23
Nov 04    $90
Dec 04    $158
Jan 05    $212
Feb 05    $206
Mar 05    $235
Apr 05    $107
May 05    $73
Jun 05    $56

Total    $1,266

Detached house with gas heat and water.

I've never heard anything good about ANY fixed rate utility plan.
[right][snapback]167078[/snapback][/right]

Old man agrees. I live in a townhome, but have the same expenses with NG as Andrew. Probably due to the fact I have a gas oven and 2 gas fireplaces that adds to my costs.

I did have a fixed rate supplier when all this nonsense first started 10 years ago. They hyped it up then and they will hype it up forever. They were great in the begining as they all thought rates were going to stabilize. In the end, you pay the same as everyone else.

Just get a plan with your NG supplier. It's not a big deal

Oh, and if you think closing costs are high now, wait until you sell a house and buy a bigger house. I think my land transfer taxes on my new house is going to be over 10k. Good thing my lawyer is free!
What about water expenses?
Flofocus,Jan 26 2006, 12:55 PM Wrote:Please share....

PM me if you want! ;)
[right][snapback]167076[/snapback][/right]

The bill for our closing cost currently stands at $3861.93.

It's just a bit more than what I expected. It's split between LTT and all the rest of the deed and title search BS.

Damn lawyers.
meford4u,Jan 26 2006, 02:02 PM Wrote:What about water expenses?
[right][snapback]167093[/snapback][/right]

Ahh crap forgot about that one... damn living in an apartment.

:unsure:
Euro Ford Fan,Jan 26 2006, 02:05 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]167095[/snapback][/right]

Water bills are every four months, here is my history and I watered the grass plenty:

Aug 04 $93
Dec 04 $115
Apr 05 $126

Works out to $28/month for a heavy user, it's nothing.
2001 ZTS,Jan 26 2006, 02:13 PM Wrote:
Euro Ford Fan,Jan 26 2006, 02:05 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]167095[/snapback][/right]

Water bills are every four months, here is my history and I watered the grass plenty:

Aug 04 $93
Dec 04 $115
Apr 05 $126

Works out to $28/month for a heavy user, it's nothing.
[right][snapback]167097[/snapback][/right]

Hold your horse there tonto. Water in my area includes the following. And I get billed for water and electricity every 2 months.

WATER DETAILS
base charge 9.62
base charge 2.64
consumption charge 25.56
Watermain charge 5.44
Watermain charge 1.68

WASTE WATER DETAILS
Base charge 9.95
Wastewater charge 21.00
Base Charge 3.00
Wastewatercharge 6.25

Total water bill for 2 month period 85.14

When I take my electricity use in with that same bill, my average bill for 2 months for water and electricity is about $235.

Oh and that water bill was for Feb/March last year. Watering the lawn in the summer months will boost this about $25.
Seeing we are here, my electricity:

Jul 04 $158
Sep 04 $183
Nov 04 $162
Jan 05 $300
Mar 05 $259
May 05 $181

Year $1,243
avg/month $104

A/c in summer and some space heating in winter.

We're going through Union Gas for our bill... equally billed it comes to 155/mo or so right now. It has already been adjusted downwards once.

Electricity? Last month's bill was (including an elec. dryer for clothes, some supplemental baseboard heat in the upstairs bathroom and a tiny bit at night in the bedroom, workout room) $101... 47 of which was actual electricity costs. That includes 4 computers running 24/7 doing Distributed Computing projects.

My personal advice? SEAL EVERYTHING AIRTGHT. Check your weatherstripping, door jambs and threshold plates, caulking around windows, etc. Air leakage is a BITCH when it comes to heating. Also, proper 12" of insulation or more in the attic is recommended. Your house is pretty new, caulking and insulation ought to be pretty good. Check all "seams" on the house where window or door meet wall, however. It costs nothing to check :)

Electricity? CFLs - Compact fluoroscent lighting. A 60W equivalent uses 13W. 100W incandescent = 23W. We've got 3 13Ws in the bathroom and it's crazy bright.

Wanna go even more extreme? LED lighting. That's my spring / summer project - re-fit all "old-school" FL long-tube lighting with LED track lighting. http://www.autolumination.com is a great place to get started.
no sex in the shower, that right there should cut your hot water bill in half :)
You can save a lot if you are careful.

My newer house (2500sqft not incl. basement) has newer appliances and features that I installed which cost a lot at the time, but in the long run saves money.

On electricity:

2.5 ton Carrier Puron 14Seer C/A Unit
26cuft Whirlpool SBS Fridge
Whirlpool Front Loader Washer
Whirlpool D/W
CF lighting in basement where it doesn't matter.
Flourescent Lighting in the garage and on timed motion sensors.
Halogen pots in the soffits are on programmable timers.
External lighting on motion sensors.
All internal lighting on electronic dimmers (bedrooms, dining room. dinette, kitchen, family room) and/or motion sensors (laundry room, workshop)
Bathroom fans and the heat lamp in the ensuite bath are on timers.

(You would be surprised how much electricity you waste leaving bathroom fans on, laundry and garage lights on, etc.)

Hydro bill: $80 winter, $140 Summer (A/C set at 72*F)

On Gas:

Mid Eff. Furnace. on a programmable thermostat.
Hi-Eff hot water.
Whirpool gas dryer
Gas stove/oven
Gas fireplace

Gas bill $130-$160 Winter (depending on outside temp. Inside set at 68*F. 2* makes a big difference in the bill) $50 summer

Water:
$30-60 a month winter/summer.

Cable/internet. $100

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plan in advance for your taxes, if you don't have the bank handle it. Personally Ilike my $$ gaining 3% interest in an ING account than the bank giving me .3%. You can set up automatic transfers, just like clockwork. But if you handle it yourself, start early (like now), take last year's tax bill at the house, add 4% and plan on that.

Moving sucks, but moving into a house sucks more because utilities rape you. Plan for connect charges for:

Phone $40, Cable (if you're a new customer and not an xfer they might waive it), Hydro ($100-$300), Gas (this is f'd up---$500 deposit unless you agree to equal billing AND automatic withdrawal).

Plan on the incidentals.

Lawnmower, fertilizer, paint, basic tools (hammer, level, screwdrivers, saw, etc.)

I guess what I'm saying is while you want to max out your payment sched to pay off the house faster, don't bind your hands. It's easier to make extra "lump sum" payments with saved money than it is to reduce your expenses when things gets tight.

That's all I can think of at the moment
It's not a huge ticket, but don't forget home insurance.
OAC_Sparky,Jan 26 2006, 05:35 PM Wrote:You can save a lot if you are careful.

My newer house (2500sqft not incl. basement) has newer appliances and features that I installed which cost a lot at the time, but in the long run saves money.

On electricity:

2 ton Carrier Puron 14Seer C/A Unit
26cuft Whirlpool SBS Fridge
Whirlpool Front Loader Washer
Whirlpool D/W
CF lighting in basement where it doesn't matter.
Flourescent Lighting in the garage and on timed motion sensors.
Halogen pots in the soffits are on programmable timers.
External lighting on motion sensors.
All internal lighting on electronic dimmers (bedrooms, dining room. dinette, kitchen, family room) and/or motion sensors  (laundry room, workshop)
Bathroom fans and the heat lamp in the ensuite bath are on timers.

(You would be surprised how much electricity you waste leaving bathroom fans on, laundry and garage lights on, etc.)

Hydro bill: $80 winter, $140 Summer (A/C set at 72*F)

On Gas:

Mid Eff. Furnace. on a programmable thermostat.
Hi-Eff hot water.
Whirpool gas dryer
Gas stove/oven
Gas fireplace

Gas bill $130-$160 Winter (depending on outside temp. Inside set at 68*F. 2* makes a big difference in the bill) $50 summer

Water:
$30-60 a month winter/summer.

Cable/internet. $100

That's pretty much what I had expected all our appliances are high efficiency along with the hot water and the furnace. Funnily the tag on by small beer fridge has the same power consumption rating as the one in the house!

Quote:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plan in advance for your taxes, if you don't have the bank handle it. Personally Ilike my $$ gaining 3% interest in an ING account than the bank giving me .3%. You can set up automatic transfers, just like clockwork. But if you handle it yourself, start early (like now), take last year's tax bill at the house, add 4% and plan on that.

I really like that idea, because I get commission every month I wanted to pay the tax once a year or twice at the most rather than getting the monthly withdrawal. Making a little money in an ING account is a smart idea, it's not much but every little bit helps.

Quote:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Moving sucks, but moving into a house sucks more because utilities rape you. Plan for connect charges for:

Phone $40, Cable (if you're a new customer and not an xfer they might waive it), Hydro ($100-$300), Gas (this is f'd up---$500 deposit unless you  agree to equal billing AND automatic withdrawal).

Yeah I got the quoted $400 deposit for gas and $200 for Hydro this afternoon sucks.
Quote:Plan on the incidentals.

Lawnmower, fertilizer, paint, basic tools (hammer, level, screwdrivers, saw, etc.)

Lucky for me my parents are giving us there electric mower we have very little lawn so it's all we need. As for tools I've got lots so I should be good to go.

Quote:I guess what I'm saying is while you want to max out your payment sched to pay off the house faster, don't bind your hands. It's easier to make extra "lump sum" payments with saved money than it is to reduce your expenses when things gets tight.

That's all I can think of at the moment
[right][snapback]167153[/snapback][/right]

We were approved for $160,000 more than we are borrowing so we got them on a better interest rate. We will make lump payments when we can to pay it down neither of us had any interest in being remotely house poor.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that out and that goes for all you guys! I can't thank you enough it really helps. A round of golf then beer and a BBQ will be on me once I get the deck finished!!
Pages: 1 2