FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Beware When Buying Used Ecu Flashers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Becareful when buying ANY used ECU flasher!!!!!!!!! Heres a little story about how I tried to save some money. I recently purchased one for my SVT and sent it off to a very well know and reputable tuner in the states. I figured that why buy a new one, when you can buy a used one for half the cost and have it reflashed. Today I was informed that the previous owner DID NOT flash his car back to the stock programming, he just left the aftermarket tune on it and sent it to me with stock tune and additional aftermarket tune on it. Now I will have to pay addional fees to have it sent to the company that makes it to be wiped. If the unit had ONLY the after market tunes on it, the dealer I sent it to could reflash it no problem, BUT since it has a factory tune on it, only the company that makes it can wipe it clean!!!!! And before you tell me I should have asked if it was unlocked before I purchased it, I DID and was told it was! I just no longer have the PMs to prove it as I deleted them. :rolleyes: Now I'm not saying the previous owner of my flasher did this on purpose as I don't know that, but save your self one potential GIANT PITA, and but a flasher new, unless you know you personally know you can trust the seller.

End rant. :angry:
That sucks... how much extra is it gonna cost ya in the end compared to buying new anyway? (including the used chip/first attempt at flash charge ($) and new charge from original mfr)
euro_zx5,Jan 26 2006, 09:46 PM Wrote:That sucks... how much extra is it gonna cost ya in the end compared to buying new anyway? (including the used chip/first attempt at flash charge ($) and new charge from original mfr)
[right][snapback]167143[/snapback][/right]

I read it's about 130+ for a reflash + tunes.

did you just recently buy this off someone on FF or FJ cause I think I was up for the same one :)
think about it this way... the guy you bought the flasher from is screwed now aswell. the only way to get his tune off the ECU is to have the ECU wiped at the dealership or possibly even replace the ECU with a new unit.

as much as it screwed you over, he will probably be even worse off if he ever has to go info warrenty work or problems with drivability... he'll have to pay every cent to get his problems fixed! ;)

but yeah, lame deal!
Why not contact the guy, you could fix his potential problem and save yourself some cash.
ZX3TUNING,Jan 26 2006, 10:31 PM Wrote:think about it this way... the guy you bought the flasher from is screwed now aswell. the only way to get his tune off the ECU is to have the ECU wiped at the dealership or possibly even replace the ECU with a new unit.

as much as it screwed you over, he will probably be even worse off if he ever has to go info warrenty work or problems with drivability... he'll have to pay every cent to get his problems fixed! ;)

but yeah, lame deal!
[right][snapback]167195[/snapback][/right]

He traded the car in on something else, so no, he is not screwed......
euro_zx5,Jan 26 2006, 03:46 PM Wrote:That sucks... how much extra is it gonna cost ya in the end compared to buying new anyway? (including the used chip/first attempt at flash charge ($) and new charge from original mfr)
[right][snapback]167143[/snapback][/right]

I bought the unit in Canada with Cdn funds, but for the sake of simplicity I listed what I paid for it in USD, all other prices are what I paid USD.

My costs....

Used Xcal1 $175 USD
Reflash for custom tunes by SCT dealer $65 USD
Cost for SCT head office in Florida to wipe $150 USD
My total $390 USD (not including any shipping fees)

I could have bought a brand new Xcal2 with serial cable, custom tunes and 6 months of free tune updates for $375 USD

I have talked with the guy who sold me the Xcal1, he is very sorry and I believe that it was a genuine mistake on his part, we are still in discussion and hopefully he will reimburse me somewhat.
That really sucks man, but at least its not damaged, or worse didn't arrive.
*UPDATE*

Well the seller was genuinly sorry, and very appologetic. He sent me some reimbursment yesterday and plans on some more in February. Good to see there are still decent people (Canadians) out there who will make things right by their mistakes.