FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Red Light Camera Fun...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I've never really had any dealings with Red Light Cameras before, but I may or may not have been caught by one a few days ago.

I was headed eastbound on the River Parkway/Wellington past the War Museum, and just before getting to the intersection of Wellington and Booth, the light turned amber. I honestly did not have time to stop my vehicle safely (you know those times when it's going to change just as you get to it, and you have to make a split decision?), and continued through. I realized after the fact, that it was a Red Light Camera Equipped intersection, and began to worry that I might've got tagged.

I looked on the city of Ottawa website this morning, and they indicated that the Camera system only photographs vehicles that ENTER the intersection when the light is already red, and they don't photograph vehicles that are in the intersection when the light is amber. I was halfway or more through the intersection on the amber, so I think I might be ok.

I know that trying to get through a light isn't a safe driving practice, and I seldom ever go through a light at all. In this circumstance, the light changed to amber when I was less than 25M from the entry of the intersection, and was amber until I was 3/4 of the way across (this is a BIG/Wide intersection in Ottawa).

I wonder if I'm gonna be ok this time, and not get a ticket in the mail?
Well I hope you didn't get caught, but if you did its not much just a fine and no points.
What kind of a fine is it?
Can't find a specific number from the Highway Traffic Act at the moment but S. 214 sets out fines under the HTA as follows:

214. (1) Every person who contravenes this Act or any regulation is guilty of an offence and on conviction, where a penalty for the contravention is not otherwise provided for herein, is liable to a fine of not less than $60 and not more than $500. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 214 (1).

But the twist is, if the offence happens in an area designated a Community Safety Zone then the following subsection in S.214 applies:

(8) Every person who commits an offence in contravention of any of sections 132 to 164, inclusive (except subsections 140 (4) and (6) and subsections 144 (22) to (29), inclusive), section 166, 167, 168 or 169, subsection 176 (3) or section 182 in a community safety zone when it is in effect is liable, on conviction, not to the penalty otherwise applicable, but to a fine of not less than double the minimum fine otherwise applicable and not more than the maximum fine otherwise applicable. 1998, c. 6, s. 1.

IOW, if the area is properly marked as a Community Safety Zone, you get tagged double the fine up to the max amount.

(Note the preceding information was taken from the Ontario Government E-Laws page, no legal opinion is being expressed or implied as the situation of the original poster)

NefCanuck
You should be fine.

Did you see the flash go off? It could be a 'red light camera equipped' intersection, but they rotate the cameras, so it might not be there currently.
if there was no flash it didnt go off, and trust me, you would know because its like a lightning bolt hit behind your car lol thats how bright it is. you would see it in all mirrors so im positive ur ok i had the same thing happen a few days ago downtown hamilton
nah man your ok. i zipped through many red light cameras in my time and never got a ticket, the key is, you enter the intersection when its yellow, your good. if you enter when its red, then your FV(K'd
I think you guys are right.

I double checked with the city of Ottawa website's info on traffic violations, and the it said that the red light cameras are under the city's jurisdiction, not the provincial government. It also said that your insurance company isn't notified, you just pay the $180 fine and say you were guilty. The website also said that the camera won't take your picture if you enter the intersection during the amber light.

So yeah, fingers crossed I'm in the clear.