FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: $%^#$@ Tie Rod End
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a trick to get these unscrewed from the rest of the tie rod? I've tried everything I can think of and its not moving. Heat, swearing, holy water, you name it. Put some PB Blaster on it and letting it soak overnight, and will see what happens, but I'm not feeling very optimistic.
I tightened a pair of vice grips on the arm that goes into the steering rack then wedged it between the control arm and loosened the tie rod end with a open ended wrench. Has always worked for me :)
Burnin21,Apr 5 2010, 08:36 PM Wrote:I tightened a pair of vice grips on the arm that goes into the steering rack then wedged it between the control arm and loosened the tie rod end with a open ended wrench. Has always worked for me :)
[right][snapback]304607[/snapback][/right]

Why do I have a feeling I've watched you do this?
torradan,Apr 5 2010, 06:58 PM Wrote:Is there a trick to get these unscrewed from the rest of the tie rod?  I've tried everything I can think of and its not moving.  Heat, swearing, holy water, you name it.  Put some PB Blaster on it and letting it soak overnight, and will see what happens, but I'm not feeling very optimistic.
[right][snapback]304604[/snapback][/right]

If you peel back the rubber gromet, there are two flat spots where you can attach a 17mm open end wrench. Use another 17mm wrench on the front. However, I was unable to break the bolt loose. I have heard you will need a breaker bar, but you will need to position it in the wheel well somehow.

In the end I gave up, and paid the local ford dealer $90 to do it.
ANTHONYD,Apr 5 2010, 09:28 PM Wrote:
Burnin21,Apr 5 2010, 08:36 PM Wrote:I tightened a pair of vice grips on the arm that goes into the steering rack then wedged it between the control arm and loosened the tie rod end with a open ended wrench. Has always worked for me :)
[right][snapback]304607[/snapback][/right]

Why do I have a feeling I've watched you do this?
[right][snapback]304609[/snapback][/right]

Thats what had to be done to the green monster I believe :lol: