FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Top Gear Usa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Top Gear USA is coming :(

Quote:The Top Gear telly programme has quietly become a global phenomenon. Recent figures suggested an extraordinary viewership, something in the region of one billion people across the globe.

Only one country has been strangely resistant to the charms of three blokes cocking about in an old aircraft hangar - the United States of America. Until now.

Earlier this year, Discovery decided they wanted in on the Top Gear action, starting with 18 repackaged programmes using existing items from TG UK.

That's why last year a brand new TG USA production team assembled deep in the Mojave desert to create a pilot show for their version of Britain's favourite almost-Bafta-winning car programme.

And, like their idea of what constitutes a decent cup of coffee, the American take on Top Gear wasn't entirely the same as ours.

[Image: 01large.jpg]

Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around airfield taxiways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit.

Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience.

And instead of The Tall One, The Short One and The Other One, they hired three rather different American presenters: Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph; John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint 'sir and m'am' good manners that only Americans can do; and Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in weird humour.

[Image: large.jpg]

[Image: large.jpg]

Another great British Show ruined.
darkpuppet,Jan 19 2006, 06:09 PM Wrote:Another great British Show ruined.
[right][snapback]165954[/snapback][/right]

*sigh* f*** yeah! :(
Oscar The Grouch,Jan 19 2006, 03:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]165957[/snapback][/right]

Much like The Office?
how fast before they turn it into a big budget rice burner show / hot rod show?
Casper,Jan 19 2006, 06:29 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Jan 19 2006, 03:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]165957[/snapback][/right]

Much like The Office?
[right][snapback]165959[/snapback][/right]

And Survivor.

There's not a single original idea in Hollywood anymore.
you that Top Gear UK won an Emmy Award.

i don't think it will do the same in America, so I'll still be downloading and burning UK episodes to DVD.
FocusGuy7476,Jan 19 2006, 05:44 PM Wrote:you that Top Gear UK won an Emmy Award.

i don't think it will do the same in America, so I'll still be downloading and burning UK episodes to DVD.
[right][snapback]165966[/snapback][/right]

yeah, best Foreign Unscripted Show.

shows how much the americans know... Top Gear is VERY scripted.
Why not just hire the WHOOO WHOOO guy & L'ltle Sis while they were at it?

I wonder if they do both left AND right hand turns on their track? I suppose if they have more crashes/hour than a typical NASCAR broadcast the show may do OK down there.
nothing compares to originals really does it tho ?

once u seen loads of an orig tv progg then see an say ^^ USA version just seems dull not the same feel

like with the OFfice uK version hella lot better the USA version just didnt have the same watch me over and over again..
thers no way the USA one will be funnier then the UK one
Yet another reason to get BBC Canada / BBC World and just watch the REAL DEAL.
The ONLY good thing i see coming from this, is that they will test NA cars, ones we actually have on the streets here.

But its like Andrew said, left and right hand turns, not happening...its going to be all 1/4 type sh1t.

No way its going to be as good, look at the people they hired for the US show. A relaity show winner, and a drag racer thats crashed a load of times, and a jock?? Good choice for a CAR program.
FociPhil,Jan 20 2006, 04:08 PM Wrote:No way its going to be as good, look at the people they hired for the US show. A relaity show winner, and a drag racer thats crashed a load of times, and a jock?? Good choice for a CAR program.
[right][snapback]166063[/snapback][/right]

just out of curiousity who would you have picked to be on that show??
nass,Jan 20 2006, 05:34 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Jan 20 2006, 04:08 PM Wrote:No way its going to be as good, look at the people they hired for the US show. A relaity show winner, and a drag racer thats crashed a load of times, and a jock?? Good choice for a CAR program.
[right][snapback]166063[/snapback][/right]

just out of curiousity who would you have picked to be on that show??
[right][snapback]166081[/snapback][/right]

BIG DAWG FUNK MASTER FLEX and JeSsE jAmeS yO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well how about someone that can drive, like a retired f1 or rally driver, not some goon who lives their life "a quater mile at a time." Or some idiot who lived in a jungle for 40 days. Im not really sure, but the looks of it, they are not really car experts.
don't ask me why but I would love to see Robin Williams on that show. Sure he's not a race driver or anything but he sure is funny and would make light of things on a show like that. How about Michael Andretti? or wait do the hosts HAVE to be American? is that the rule.
Throw Mr. T in there. "I pitty tha foo' who thinks PT's are pretty!"
nass,Jan 20 2006, 03:24 PM Wrote:How about Michael Andretti?

Michael only won a Indy championship because daddy was able to get him into the fastest car in the field other than that he's just an average racer, look at his short tenure at McLaren F1 he couldn't even hack it for the whole season quiting with only 2 races to go you would think that having Ayrton Senna as your partner you would at least get you pumped to race but to no avail Andretti only scored 7 points. Thank goodness Andretti left Mclaren when he did that gave Mika Hakkinen the chance he needed to get into a race seat.

My pick for a race driver for this new show would probably be Ron Fellows the guy has shown pretty good skills driving everything that is thrown at him including development work on the current Corvette.

Laterz :)
Standing in for Jeremy Clarkson - Jay Leno.
heh Jay Leno could work, but I don't think they could ever afford him.
Aka,Jan 23 2006, 11:03 PM Wrote:heh Jay Leno could work, but I don't think they could ever afford him.
[right][snapback]166568[/snapback][/right]

he is really anoying and unfunny on his show but every car show I've seen him in he is actually really good, he knows his stuff.
Pages: 1 2