FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Slam And Roll... But
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
slamming and rolling..

in other words, I want to install my springs, but I require assistance.

I know I need a spring compressor, that much is obvi-oso, but other than that, what is needed to be done? I was wanting to do this soon because i have found someone with one. but the dumb thing is I dont want to have seized bolts and stand there for too long because the person who owns it and I dont seem to get along, but we still hang around each other..

so the less time shooting the s**t, the better,

so my question is, wtf do i do when I am changing my springs? im a newb at this part of my car so I need details!

!!!
Your gonna want to remove your old ones, that clears up alot of room to work!

Ohh, and use a hoist cause its a bitch tryin to balance a car on 3 wheels!

good luck!
PerfectSaiyan,Jan 12 2006, 08:21 PM Wrote:slamming and rolling..

in other words, I want to install my springs, but I require assistance.

I know I need a spring compressor, that much is obvi-oso, but other than that, what is needed to be done?  I was wanting to do this soon because i have found someone with one.  but the dumb thing is I dont want to have seized bolts and stand there for too long because the person who owns it and I dont seem to get along, but we still hang around each other..

so the less time shooting the s**t, the better,

so my question is, wtf do i do when I am changing my springs?  im a newb at this part of my car so I need details!

!!!
[right][snapback]164831[/snapback][/right]

this is how i learnt.......took me 1hr 45 mins to remove, replace, install all 4.

fronts
Rears
Slimsride,Jan 13 2006, 02:52 AM Wrote:this is how i learnt.......took me 1hr 45 mins to remove, replace, install all 4.

fronts
Rears
[right][snapback]164839[/snapback][/right]

oh cool!

dont need a spring compressor for the rear.

is it 100% imperitive you take out the entire shocks on the front? or is there a way around it.

I mean it could be easy for me to remove the front control arm, take it in, and get them to do it, IF I had a second car to use haha..

-edit-
I was reading the how-to and it seems pretty freickin easy to take them out, so no it wouldnt be that hard.
-edit-
microbunny,Jan 13 2006, 02:44 AM Wrote:Your gonna want to remove your old ones, that clears up alot of room to work!

good luck!
[right][snapback]164835[/snapback][/right]

I think the rears would be easy enough for me to install in my driveway? I just jack the sucker up to the last jack stand setting and give er a go.. too bad its been pouring for like 25 days straight...
PerfectSaiyan,Jan 12 2006, 08:18 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Jan 13 2006, 02:44 AM Wrote:Your gonna want to remove your old ones, that clears up alot of room to work!

good luck!
[right][snapback]164835[/snapback][/right]

I think the rears would be easy enough for me to install in my driveway? I just jack the sucker up to the last jack stand setting and give er a go.. too bad its been pouring for like 25 days straight...
[right][snapback]164846[/snapback][/right]

I did a lift on an IFS truck (similar setup) in my driveway. Took 2 hours with the Princess Auto spring compressors I have, and an electric impact.

I'm alotting the same amount of time when I install my drop kit in a few weeks. At least i'll have the comfort of an empty 2 car garage.
Just a note if you use the scissor jack make sure you use jackstand, the screw in my Focus jack completly striped and the car fell, that was just before I put the axle stands on. Very scary....
I would never use the scissor jack for doing mods. :blink:

Get a real jack, Its safer. And dont forget to put the stands underneath.

They could save your life. ;)
Jack stands just make sense when under the car, guys.
so then 4 scissor jacks holding the car up is a bad thing?

and yeah in the front you have to take the whole strut out and get a secret tool to undo the spring. We just use a socket and and allen key ( I think ) and made it work. It was something along those lines it wasn't anything fancy.
Think about what that scissor jack was intended for. ;)

I def wouldnt trust it to go UNDER the car.
Take it to a shop.

Done!
ANTHONYD,Jan 13 2006, 12:09 PM Wrote:Take it to a shop.

Done!
[right][snapback]164913[/snapback][/right]

Pffff, thats the NOS way. :lol: :P
Yup, for when you have neither the time nor all the tools.

NOS2Go4Me,Jan 13 2006, 05:47 PM Wrote:Yup, for when you have neither the time nor all the tools.
[right][snapback]164941[/snapback][/right]

or the know-how.
I didnt know how to either, but I've learned, and it wasnt all that hard.

Now I've done the focus suspension twice and changed the shocks on my dads bimmer, and old golf....I think its a great skill to learn to save some cash. That goes with most mods....

Of course having the right tools help. :P
Depending on the Year... The rear Bolts Will be tough to get out.

Start thier, And if thier stripped, Bring it to a shop, Let them do the rest.

took me 4 hours to do my full suspension, 3Hours on the 2 rear bolts.
Chromey,Jan 13 2006, 09:39 PM Wrote:Depending on the Year... The rear Bolts Will be tough to get out.

[right][snapback]164990[/snapback][/right]

jeez hopefully they arent!
PerfectSaiyan,Jan 13 2006, 02:41 PM Wrote:
Chromey,Jan 13 2006, 09:39 PM Wrote:Depending on the Year... The rear Bolts Will be tough to get out.

[right][snapback]164990[/snapback][/right]

jeez hopefully they arent!
[right][snapback]164991[/snapback][/right]

Blast the bolts with some lube the day before the install, and again before you get started.
nass,Jan 13 2006, 08:51 AM Wrote:so then 4 scissor jacks holding the car up is a bad thing?

and yeah in the front you have to take the whole strut out and get a secret tool to undo the spring. We just use a socket and and allen key ( I think ) and made it work. It was something along those lines it wasn't anything fancy.
[right][snapback]164891[/snapback][/right]

Um..you know if your impact wrench is good, you can use that...alot faster then an ALLEN KEY...holy crap....
Pages: 1 2