FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Exhaust Cut Out...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My cousin has offered me a free exhaust cut out and I'm wondering if I should install it on the focus or not. Normally these things are used for track purposes but the only engine mod i've done is a cold air intake, and have never raced on the track. Having said that, I do intend to do a few more things under the hood this spring and probably make a few passes at Cayuga. Should I install it or not?

For those of you who don't know what it is... It is a mechanism that is installed on your exhaust system before the cat and muffler. When opened it allows for regular exhaust flow but when you close it, the exhaust comes out of a Y pipe bypassing the cat and muffler.

Also, would I see any power increases? I imagine there would be a minor increase in HP.
What year is your focus? if it's 00-04 there is no way you're gonna get it in before the cat

and i'm not sure about 05's +
its a 2000... now that i think about it, there isnt much room there is there. Is it even worth it to install after the cat?
can we call this ''100% rice'' <_<
djrard,Jan 12 2006, 02:56 PM Wrote:can we call this ''100% rice'' <_<
[right][snapback]164779[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for your informative input. When I started this post, I wasn't really looking for answers to the questions I was asking, what I was looking for was your personal opinion on whether it was "rice" or not.
dabigmandan,Jan 12 2006, 03:57 PM Wrote:

Thanks for your informative input. When I started this post, I wasn't really looking for answers to the questions I was asking, what I was looking for was your personal opinion on whether it was "rice" or not.
[right][snapback]164786[/snapback][/right]

that's beautiful. you win comeback of the week. :lol:

and i wouldn't bother. :fluffy:
k thanks, that's all I wanted
meford4u,Jan 12 2006, 09:45 PM Wrote:
dabigmandan,Jan 12 2006, 03:57 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]164786[/snapback][/right]

that's beautiful. you win comeback of the week. :lol:

and i wouldn't bother. :fluffy:
[right][snapback]164836[/snapback][/right]

That didn't exactly help the situation... :lol:

If you can revert to a legal setup from the race setup, i'd say, why not install it? Go for it. Freebies are awesome... just consider warranty issues, if there are any.
Well meford stated he wouldn't bother putting it on after the cat and I kinda agree with him. It might not do anything except make a lot of noise if its installed after the cat.

Oh and there are no warranty issues.
The reason why I wouldn't bother is unless you went to a race header, flex pipe and then the Xover and deleting the cat, it's not really worth it.

And even trying to get around the hi-flow cats these days they are so good at flow rates that it's not worth bothering with.
quick question how do u change it from open to close because if its electric meaning you can switch it from inside the car ill buy it off you cause i have no cat and free flowing is great for a turbo set up like mine pm me if u like
It is electric but if I don't install it, I'm just gonna tell my cousin to keep it. Don't wanna be an ass and get it from him for free then sell it.
don't you hate when morals get in the way of business?

hah :D
Sure do. Besides, if he found out I sold my free item, I would never get freebies again!
I remember when Stacy from the TRUCKS tv show installed one of those on project Copperhead (the 69-72 Chevy truck with the 572 motor in it). It was pretty cool on that, but I dont think it would really suit the Focus. Also, would the lack of backpressure mess with a mainly stock engine? I'm not exactly sure how that works but I'm sure someone will chime in :P

You're probably better off just getting the most free flowing exhaust system available, then you have the advantages all the time and dont have to worry about trying to fit that thing into tight spaces.