FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hov Lanes Being Abused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hilarious!

This is good. Some lady, driving by herself, got pulled over for driving in the HOV lane. Her excuse, she's pregnant.

Friggin hillarious. I can't wait to see the next headline:

"In HOV, man with wood no good!"

Yeah its a crappy made up headline. Big Whoop wanna fight about it! :ph34r:
some guy was a real asshole tonite on the drive home... he was so impatient, that he decided to use the HOV lane as a passing lane like 3 times, he was also speeding, changing lanes without signaling, cutting people off, man i wish there was a cop near by to give him a ticket, that oughta teach him and his big ass SUV
IM SHOCKED!!!!!!!! :o :o :o
HOV are just never gonna be enforcable. Just think of how many cops it would take to police those lanes 24/7. The economics of it make it impossible. Sure from time to time they'll have crack downs but its like when they have the speeding blitz's on the 400 series. During the blitz's people slow down, as soon as its over, right back to speeding.

As for the women, its sorta a creative way to try and get around the rules. Guess its not creative enough cuz she still ended up with the fine.
In a few more years they will work better we just have to wait for the traffic to get just a little worse. They have them in Long Island where I do a lot of work but the cops are out all rush hour all over the place an if you get caught in one or going in or out of one outside the merge area it's a stiff fine. Nothing beats cutting 90+ minutes off a 25 mile commute in the morning though.
It's a matter of how much do they really want to spend to enforce said lanes?

Every time I'm down to the Big Smoke for training, all I see when I cruise down Bay Street at 4:30 are cops staking out the cab/bus lanes, nailing impatient morons who can't read or care about signs.
Like who didn't see this coming? :rolleyes: On the weekends I see people abusing the HOV lanes when there's almost no traffic anyways and I'm like "Why?" and then I look down at my speedometer. I'm doing 110km/h & they're doing 130km/h+ <_<

You know, that pregnant lady might actually get off, depending how far along in the pregnancy she was when she got caught she might just have an arguement that the unborn baby is actually a "person". If she hires a good lawyer this could be an interesting court case to watch.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 12 2006, 01:24 PM Wrote:she might just have an arguement that the unborn baby is actually a "person".  If she hires a good lawyer this could be an interesting court case to watch.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]164748[/snapback][/right]
Yeah but ... 2 "people" + 1 seatbelt = big trouble.
ZTWsquared,Jan 12 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jan 12 2006, 01:24 PM Wrote:she might just have an arguement that the unborn baby is actually a "person".  If she hires a good lawyer this could be an interesting court case to watch.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]164748[/snapback][/right]
Yeah but ... 2 "people" + 1 seatbelt = big trouble.
[right][snapback]164761[/snapback][/right]

Never said she'd win mind you, just that it would be an interesting case. Of course as long as she is properly restrained then by definition the unborn baby would be too as its in her womb...

Great now I'm hoping she does fight this, I'm already fighting the arguement... This is what happens when you work with lawyers :P

NefCanuck
BC has had HOV lanes for years. People cheat all the time (I do along the Barnet Highway). The freeway usually has 1-2 cops during peak periods, and they ALWAYS have someone pulled over, so they make their quota! ;)

When they first came out, people here were using blow up dolls and mannequinns. One guy went to court to fight it, and he also fought to have hin blow up doll returned... must have gotten lonely.
I saw a lot of people use the HOV lane on the 401 on my way back to Pet. There wasn't a vehicle with less than 2 people in it, so it was kinda cool to see people use it...mostly properly...lol.

Only downside to that lane, is that if the vehicles in front are going too slow, then they will try to merge with the hammer lane again, and as you know, don't have much time/space to do so.

JI think the police should focus more on people driving like 5-10km/hr over the speed limit in the left lanes, and staying there...I mean, get them out of that lane. Let the idiots like me, who have a 5-7hr drive ahead of them, speed to our hearts content. Stay out of the left lane, we won't pass you on the right, thereby letting us carry along about our business, and reducing traffic congestion.