FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buying A House In Ott/gat Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know I've mentioned this before, but I think its time for me to get off my ass and start seriously looking.

The price range I have in mind is 170-200K (I was pre-approved for 150K 4 years ago), that can get me a 2 bedroom house close to downtown Ottawa that will need some lovin, but with family & many more friends in the contracting business this isnt a concern for me at all. I was thinking about the country but then realised the drive in the winter once again from living with my parents and driving out of the country setting, threw downtown traffic for school. Winter sometimes took 2.5 hours. Screw that. I want to bike to work, or run...

I want a yard for my dog (I'll probably get another dog once I have my own house), and I also want a garage, I'm sick or working on my car in my driveway or driving to my parents to use my fathers garage. The thing is with buying close to downtown, I can't get both. Its either you get a garge with a tiny ass yard, or you get a big yard with no garage.

Now, if I go across the border, which can still be a bike ride to work since I work right downtown Ottawa/hull, I'll be able to stay in my price range but get s**t loads more house for my money. I'm talking 4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, Huge fenced in backyard. 2 washrooms, etc.

But then I hear the taxes are absolutely insane in Gatineau, but I would like to know if theyre is THAT much of a difference. If its 3-4K extra a year in taxes, but I get s**t load more house for my money, then it may be worth it for me.....

I know BerinG just bought a house out in Gatineau, so I'm really interested in what you have to say...

Anybody else want to chime in that has bought in the Ott/Gat area would be really appreciated...

PS: The lauguage thing is no issue for me.
If you move to the dark side you also get to have no front license plate.
bluetoy,Jan 10 2006, 01:10 PM Wrote:If you move to the dark side you also get to have no front license plate.
[right][snapback]164267[/snapback][/right]

-And cheaper car insurance
-And my dog isnt outlawed there so I can get 2.
-And Beer at every corner store till 11pm.

Blue, you know the difference for taxes at all?
Flofocus,Jan 10 2006, 01:12 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Jan 10 2006, 01:10 PM Wrote:If you move to the dark side you also get to have no front license plate.

[right][snapback]164268[/snapback][/right]

Nope. Better snowmobile trails. Possibility of being a seperate country, house value taking a s**t.
Flofocus,Jan 10 2006, 05:12 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]164268[/snapback][/right]

those 4 reasons just made it a no-brainer!!
bluetoy,Jan 10 2006, 01:19 PM Wrote:Nope. Better snowmobile trails. Possibility of being a seperate country, house value taking a s**t.
[right][snapback]164272[/snapback][/right]

House value taking a s**t? In Gat? I thought it was steadily rising there?
Flofocus,Jan 10 2006, 01:46 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Jan 10 2006, 01:19 PM Wrote:Nope. Better snowmobile trails. Possibility of being a seperate country, house value taking a s**t.
[right][snapback]164272[/snapback][/right]

House value taking a s**t? In Gat? I thought it was steadily rising there?
[right][snapback]164287[/snapback][/right]

When there's a threat of separation house values go down. There seems to always be a threat lately. I'd think twice about moving to Quebec.
My boss lives in Gatineau. I can't remember exactly what she said about the taxes. I believe she pays more provincial (sp?) tax and gets back from the federal government. She should be in tomorrow and I can ask her then.
natasha,Jan 10 2006, 04:48 PM Wrote:My boss lives in Gatineau. I can't remember exactly what she said about the taxes. I believe she pays more provincial (sp?) tax and gets back from the federal government. She should be in tomorrow and I can ask her then.
[right][snapback]164346[/snapback][/right]

Please do Nat! I would like to know exatly what I would be looking at....
Nate,

I got the following information from my boss today. she said the following are lower in Quebec: property tax (they pay $2300/year), childcare, and houses. for the income taxes she said they pay every year for the provincail taxes and get money back from the federal taxes. She will ask her husband for estimates tonight, as he is the one who does the taxes.
I hope this information helps,
Natasha
I would have suggested the Laurentian valley, northwest of ottawa on the 17, but realized you're a smart individual and know how much commutes will suck in the winter up here, without even living here already....so well done! lol!

Ummm, the only drawback to the quebec side is there is a LOT of scenery, and I'm not talking about the trees, river, or mountains in the distance ;)

Anyways, happy hunting!
Drivesthebeast,Jan 12 2006, 08:58 PM Wrote:Ummm, the only drawback to the quebec side is there is a LOT of scenery, and I'm not talking about the trees, river, or mountains in the distance ;) 

[right][snapback]164820[/snapback][/right]

I get what your saying, but why is it a drawback???? :o :lol:
Coz your missus will not be impressed with you wearing a drool bib in public...as a result of the afforementioned scenery...

Lol!
Drivesthebeast,Jan 13 2006, 12:33 PM Wrote:Coz your missus will not be impressed with you wearing a drool bib in public...as a result of the afforementioned scenery...

Lol!
[right][snapback]164938[/snapback][/right]

mine actually points them out for me!