FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Importing A Car From Us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone done this recently? I'm looking to import a car, i have read all the rules and regulations, but just want to know if there is any tricks, or things i should know before attempting a task such as that.

Any help will be appreciated.
well on good one is make sure you get a carfax report done before you buy the car, the last thing you want is having a title branded as salvage. as if that is on title you'll never be able to register the car here.
Frost__2001,Jul 21 2009, 09:39 AM Wrote:well on good one is make sure you get a carfax report done before you buy the car, the last thing you want is having a title branded as salvage. as if that is on title you'll never be able to register the car here.
[right][snapback]291433[/snapback][/right]

^^x2

I've looked into this myself and although the administrative roadblocks aren't too bad to hurtle and there are some excellent resources here to help. ... there is still the issue of finding, inspecting, negotiating, and purchasing a vehicle from a distance ... specifically the time and cost to do so.

That's for a used vehicle of course ... if you're interested in a new vehicle from a dealer that's actually a lot easier - although not without potential difficulty.

I've heard horror stories of manufacturers charging an arm and a leg for the mandatory "recall clearance letter" which only the manufacturer can provide ... and they can take essentially as long as they want and charge as much as they want to produce it; and without it you can't import or register the vehicle.

When the dollar was at par you could potentially save tens of thousands of dollars importing an expensive new vehicle from the US ... and at that point I'd say it's definitely worth it.

But otherwise I just can't see enough potential savings to justify the time, cost and effort ... at least for me right now anyway.
Meford did it like a year ago?

But people told as long as you get all the paperwork done on this side you should be all good.

An STi '05-'06 or Evo IX would be a cool US buy
So question i have is that would i be able to import the car, drive it for 45 days until i get get the paper work done, or will the car be stuck at canadian border until paperwork is done?

I think i just have to fill up RIV form 1 and once that's done i can drive the car with temp plates until i can get the ther stuff done.
Contact RIV There agents should be able to answer any of your questions. My buddy recently imported a Evo 8 and talked to my cousin fiance that works at Riv and he had no problems bring it over he put some cash into it and its a monster hes actually selling it for $26,000 or something ouch I know but Its 1 of 12 Evo 8 in Canada
If you're importing a car into Canada from anywhere, a comparable model must have been sold here during its model year (e.g. CDN STi vs US STi, CDN Lancer vs. US EVO doesn't count). Otherwise, you're waiting 15 years until it falls under the Classic allowance and it can be imported for safety inspection and re-plating under Ontario HTA laws.

I'd say check with the RIV for sure. I've got a buddy on his 2nd STi from the U.S. now. He had all the paperwork done before he got there. He flew down, picked it up and drove it straight home that day.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 21 2009, 09:10 AM Wrote:If you're importing a car into Canada from anywhere, a comparable model must have been sold here during its model year (e.g. CDN STi vs US STi, CDN Lancer vs. US EVO doesn't count). Otherwise, you're waiting 15 years until it falls under the Classic allowance and it can be imported for safety inspection and re-plating under Ontario HTA laws.

I'd say check with the RIV for sure. I've got a buddy on his 2nd STi from the U.S. now. He had all the paperwork done before he got there. He flew down, picked it up and drove it straight home that day.
[right][snapback]291466[/snapback][/right]

Thats not completly true The Golf R32 has just recently been added to the list of vehicles allowed here and they have been making Golf forever. Same with the Evo's they have only been allowed in the last year or so there list is always changing and adding new vehicles. So good luck on your venture to buy a car from the south.
ZX3_2NV,Jul 21 2009, 12:50 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 21 2009, 09:10 AM Wrote:If you're importing a car into Canada from anywhere, a comparable model must have been sold here during its model year (e.g. CDN STi vs US STi, CDN Lancer vs. US EVO doesn't count). Otherwise, you're waiting 15 years until it falls under the Classic allowance and it can be imported for safety inspection and re-plating under Ontario HTA laws.

Thats not completly true The Golf R32 has just recently been added to the list of vehicles allowed here and they have been making Golf forever. Same with the Evo's they have only been allowed in the last year or so there list is always changing and adding new vehicles. So good luck on your venture to buy a car from the south.
[right][snapback]291469[/snapback][/right]

This is true. My buddy is a car dealer and he's about to import Evo's and R32's.

This reminds me, I'll be test driving Evo X in the next day or two. ;)
I did it when the Can$ was higher than the US$.

I bought the wife's stinken from Detroit.

There are companies you can hire that will investigate the car for you and guarantee any issues you may have in the future.

Cost me $200 to have the car looked over before I bought it. Told me about a couple of issues and possible problems that even I would never have noticed looking over a used car.

If you have questions, PM me and I will go over everything with you.

It's really very simple if done right.

And NO, you will not be able to drive the car legally in Ontario once your over the border. The car doesn't stay at the border, you can drive it home. But once home your supposed to park it until all your RIV work is complete and your vehicle licensed legally in Ont..
meford4u,Jul 21 2009, 09:17 PM Wrote:I did it when the Can$ was higher than the US$. 

I bought the wife's stinken from Detroit.

There are companies you can hire that will investigate the car for you and guarantee any issues you may have in the future.

Cost me $200 to have the car looked over before I bought it.  Told me about a couple of issues and possible problems that even I would never have noticed looking over a used car.

If you have questions, PM me and I will go over everything with you.

It's really very simple if done right.

And NO, you will not be able to drive the car legally in Ontario once your over the border.  The car doesn't stay at the border, you can drive it home.  But once home your supposed to park it until all your RIV work is complete and your vehicle licensed legally in Ont..
[right][snapback]291482[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for all the info.

I asked my dad if i can borrow the dealer plates so i shoud be good until i can get the car home. this is all incase if the deal goes thru.

thanks for all the help guys.
NikiterZTS,Jul 21 2009, 02:59 PM Wrote:
ZX3_2NV,Jul 21 2009, 12:50 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]291469[/snapback][/right]

This is true. My buddy is a car dealer and he's about to import Evo's and R32's.

This reminds me, I'll be test driving Evo X in the next day or two. ;)
[right][snapback]291475[/snapback][/right]

I've already driven 5 of them... I really love them.. but I would not shell out the ammout of money for a new one.
Can you even cross the border with dealer plates :huh:
ZX3_2NV,Jul 22 2009, 11:32 AM Wrote:Can you even cross the border with dealer plates  :huh:
[right][snapback]291528[/snapback][/right]
YES
yes i can drive with the plates, car was actually at canada customs and it was a 07 corolla selling for 500$. Sounds like a great deal i know :)

its 07 Corolla CE with 11000miles, US car, it was Seized at the border. I guess they were smogling something in it.

here is the catch, there is a lien on the car and bank wont tell me how much it is. So i decided to forget about the deal, after all customs are not going to sell a car for that cheap for no reason!