FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Winter Vacation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally had the chance to cut loose for a couple of weeks and a buddy and myself did it up big.....

boxing day flew out of buffalo and met my buddy in Miami , rented a car drove down to Key Largo for the first night and found a little restaurant the locals attend. Proceded to have the best dinner I have had in my adult memory....grilled tuna steak in a wasbi cream sauce with a pepperd baked polenta and market greens.....wow.

Anyway , got up early with a hangover and jumped in the car and headed south to Key West....spent two nights there at a place called the Pier House http://www.pierhouse.com/index.shtml unbeleivable place to stay in a unbeleivable town.....most southerly town in the US. Took in the sunset there at a place called Mallory Square http://www.mallorysquare.com/ I was told these are among the best sunsets in the world....I beleive this to be true...beyond words.

We spent both nights partying like teenagers in Key West more bars and clubs than I can put into words...

We nutured a hangover on the way back to Miami and before long found
ourselves in South Beach Miami were we had reservations at The Clevlander....
http://www.clevelander.com/clv-frameset.html

This place is officially party central....there is no way to discribe what a party this place is....the absolute hub of the absolute hub of party central, this place does not stop till 5 am .....every day

For those of you not familiar to South Beach it is a scenic place built mostly in the thirties and forties and represents the best collection of art deco hotels in the world. Most of these hotels are lovingly restored to there former glory with all modern amenities suppllied. Night clubs everywere and some of the finest dinig in the world (no exageration). The Cubin influence is constant and the women here are multicultural and are as beutifull as they are plentifull (understatement)

Lunches in places like Mangos http://www.mangostropicalcafe.com/high_index_high.html
Diners in places like http://www.pacifictimerestaurant.com/
not to hard to take....

We stayed in the Clevelander untill new years day.....and to say that when Ocean Drive is shut down for the new years eve party would be just skimming over the top of the 500 000 plus people that show up for the party......unbeleivable...

Packed our bags and moved up to Palm Beach and stayed a couple of nights a friends "condo" on the beach there......WOW. I have never seen such unreal wealth collected in one spot.....

Flew out of Fort Lauderdale back to Buffalo and drove to Collingwood were me and another friend hooked up and stayed at the Weston Resort there....this place is absolutely fantastic.....skiing , heated outdoor pool, and a fabulus village to party in.....

home today (Sunday) and kinda glad....but a good time for sure
Okay .... you must have them somewhere!!!!

:postpics:
ya....got lots....just dont ask me how to post ....I am retarded
The Keys in FLa. Home to a very large gay population.

South Beach Miami. The vacation spot for gays.

Are you trying to tell us something?

Hope you and that special "buddy" had a bumtastic time :rofl:
sounds to me more like you have done your own homework.....
Good to hear! Been there done that but it has been too long since.

I hit the Keys on a motorbike 10 years ago this year, my second last trip there. Saying you motorcycled to within 75 km of Cuba leaving Owen Sound in February on a 550cc sportbike is one of my legendary feats, in my mind anyway.

All the way across those causeways over the Keys I kept thinking about that Arnold Swartzenhager movie!

Ten years before that, before Miami Vice and South Beach was cool I partied in Miami hard and spent each night thanks to a fake ID bought at a head shop on Younge Street and sleeping in a seventy something Volvo*. Miami was run down then and LOTS of crime but you just knew the architecture would save it and from what I see on TV it has.

In between those years I hit Tona a few more times by bike and always do the side trip to St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral. I did the Pan Handle as a side trip after New Orleans in the old Subaru in 97 as a kid we did St. Petes, Tona and of course Orlando many times. In short I'm a big fan of Florida. My next trip there is Sanibel Island.

* my most presistant memory from living in a car: rinsing your mouth with American beer after brushing your teeth is the most gruesome taste you can imagine.
if you havent seen miami (south beach) for several years, as I had not, you will be blown away at the reserection of the place.....everything has or is being restored and the attention to detail is awesome.

I do believe this is a place you need money to visit.....not cheap, but there is value attached to the cost so it offsets....

as for the Keys....the trip over the seven mile bridge makes it all worth it..When we crossedthe seven mile it was very windy, there was a pelican riding the wind 10-15 feet off our rented convertable , it followed us for most of the bridge...way to cool...