FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got Speakers...now What Size Sub...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, as I mentioned in my other post regarding HT stuff, I have a 2006 Marantz SR7500 and a pair of Klipsch Refference RB25's as my front speakers. I am going to get the RC25 for the center and 2x pairs os RS25's for the surrounds, but I'm debating as to what size of sub to go with. I know that Klipsch sells from 8" upto a 15", but the price spirals upwards a LOT with each size you go up the ladder. I have Demo'ed a RW8 8", and a RW10 10", but nothing bigger than that. The 8" sounded very accurate and did extend pretty damn deep for an 8" (like 30hz), and was obviously the least expensive model. The 10" extended down to 25hz territory and required a lot less effort to pressurize the speaker room, but it sounded a little on the fat side with some music and movie materials, and was a couple hundred bux more expensive.

I have listened to, several times, my Nana's JVC HT that I bought her for christmas, and it's only got a 6.5", 150W RMS subwoofer with it, and it fills the entire apartment without much effort, even at higher volumes. I also have 5.25" subs (I say subs because they are in seperate chambers from the mid and tweet, and are amplified by a seperate internal amp channels in the amp/receiver) in my JVC micro system my HT is replacing, and they also play pretty deep and loud for being so small.

I dunno though, will I lust after more bass later, or should I buy more than I think I need now so then I have headroom for when I want it to go loud n' proud? I know I could always buy an 8" and then get a 2nd one to run them in tandem....provided I was satisified with the extension...

Anyone have any thoughts?
Your getting older. You won't lust after more base later. You will slowly stop listening to alot of music and more tv and the base on a tv is more rumble and background than in your face. Trust me. I am oldish and know old people.

The 10" would be more than plenty, but think of the room size now and possibly in the future where it might be in a new home. The average living room or basement rec room is no larger than 20X20 in a house around 2000 sq. ft. The 8" would be fine in this viewing area for tv watching.

Trying to fill the entire space ( house) with bass would only piss your wife and neighbours off.
I think I am leaning more towards the small sub...I preffer SQ over sheer volume, and I've only ever had stereo systems without a separate sub so far, so I guess that even an 8" would be an abvious upgrade from nothing...lol

thx for the advice, keep it coming!
meford4u,Jan 8 2006, 08:16 PM Wrote:Your getting older.  You won't      after more base later.  You will slowly stop listening to alot of music and more tv and the base on a tv is more rumble and background than in your face.  Trust me.  I am oldish and know old people.

The 10" would be more than plenty, but think of the room size now and possibly in the future where it might be in a new home.  The average living room or basement rec room is no larger than 20X20 in a house around 2000 sq. ft.  The 8" would be fine in this viewing area for tv watching.

Trying to fill the entire space ( house) with bass would only      your wife and neighbours off.
[right][snapback]163807[/snapback][/right]

As one of the "oldest" here I agree with the above comments !! Too much bass leads to a wife or friend who "nags" your ass off !! Go with the 8" !!
Unless you're filling a humungous room, you want quality over quantity. Depending on the size of the room in question even a 10" subwoofer can be too much at times. I had to futz with my 10" sub a lot to avoid getting blown off of my couch during orchestra pieces that had heavy bass sections and that's in a condo with thick carpet on the floors.

NefCanuck