FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Opinions On A Few Vehicles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, hello everyone! I've been beyond busy since the start of my xmas "break" so I havent been able to post much. But i'm back :)

But to the point of my post, guys I need your opinions. The lease is up on my fathers lariat and hes asked me to help him choose a new vehicle. We originally intended to buy the truck back and we've always been a Ford family but unfortunately with a lot of bad experiences with our current lariat, along with a couple of memorable experiences with the past lariat we owned hes decided he wants no more to do with Ford. :( I've tried convincing him otherwise, but no dice.

So I put together a package of vehicles for him to choose from, a few SUV's (the morano was the focus of that package) and a nice selection of more luxury orientated, fast cars. We narrowed it down to just a few cars and I need your opinions on these vehicles.

First off, the one he seems to be most attracted to, Dodge Charger R/T. This ones a beast, 5.7L Hemi, its got that cylinder switching technology where under light driving it switches to and fro between 4 and 8 cylinders to reduce gas consumption. I have read of people getting up 27mpg, hard to believe though. Drives great, real kick in the pants accel, does 0-100 in about 6s. My only gripe with that vehicle is the fit and finish of the interior for a car that expensive. Seems like cheap plastic in some areas, but otherwise the interior is pretty dang nice. But who cares about that with the Hemi. For options, he wants the power and sport tuning packages, with navi.

Secondly, an equally nice vehicle from the big three, Chrysler 300c. This rocks the Hemi label aswell, but a bit slower in the 0-100. The model we looked at was a 2005 model but never left the showroom floor. The dealership wanted us to take that model asap and gave us a great deal, but with the 300c being fully loaded the sale price came equal with the Chargers price, so you can see where the debate begins. This also comes with Navi, upgraded sound with 8 speakers and a sub (same as Charger) and DVD. But i'm to old to be riding in the back watching a movie oblivious to the surroundings while my parents drive to a summer getaway, I wanna be controlling that Hemi! :P

Next up, BMW 330i. Now personally I dont agree with him getting this vehicle. It would be loaded, but 50k for 215 hp? But on the other hand, its quite a vehicle in a luxurious way. What else could one expect from BMW, along with the high maintenance costs after the warranty is up.

Against all his better instincts, my father has promised me he would test drive a mustang GT. We all know how nice that beast is, but I dont think he will be sold on it. He really seems to have a sour taste for Ford now, which I can understand but the GT is, well a GT.

Infinity G35 Sedan with premium package. I havent done much research on this vehicle yet, but I know there is an awd version of the vehicle, and it boasts a 280hp motor with a 5 speed auto transmission with a manual mode.

There are other options, but he doesn't seem to interested in them at all. Out of all the cars listed, I really like the G35 Sedan and the Charger R/T. So what do you guys think?

Thanks!

01-yellow-ZX3

Just remember the resale factor of these vehicles.

Whats a Charger/300C going to be worth in a few years, compared to a Infinity or BMW?

Unless hes planning to lease again, which I don't think was mentioned.

Also, ever dealt with a luxury car dealership, such as Infinity or BMW? Thats enough to make up my mind right there. Deal with a Ford dealer again...no thanks.
All of those cars are crazy expensive...like to the tune of 50K plus....

I'd sooner buy a certified pre-owned 5 series BMW with decent mileage on it instead for like 15-20K less money. Yeah the BMW will only have a straight 6 in it with less horsepower than a Hemi Charger or 300C, but both of those cars, unlike the BMW, weigh as much as the moon. Plus they are the "me too" trendy cars of the moment. Not as much exclusivity as a BMW, and besides, you could always get your dad to invest in aftermarket stuff for the BMW, which would run cirlces around the Dodges or Infinitiy's in the handling department...

Give that a thought...
A 2006 330i has 255hp and 220ft-lb, plus all maintenance (scheduled maintenance) is included for the first 3 years. This would be my choice because it is more technologically advanced over the competition!
He's buying this one, not leasing. Sorry about the typo, yes I did mean 255hp for the 330i, my friends father owns a early 2000 3 series and has had a lot of problems with it. Maybe he's just got bad luck? I have also heard horror stories about the maintenance so thats why I was a bit skeptical (sp?).

I havent had a chance to go to a Infinity or BMW dealership yet, but him and I will be going this week to both. He's not a big fan of used cars but he may go for an 05 with 10-15k on it, plus this BMW Certified Plan on used vehicles does sound promising.

Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em comin.
Easy choice..........has to be the G35.
2001 ZTS,Jan 8 2006, 03:07 PM Wrote:Easy choice..........has to be the G35.
[right][snapback]163801[/snapback][/right]

I have to agree

And stay away from the used BMW idea. If you can't afford it new, you really can't afford it used and have to fix it after that 3 year warranty ends.

The 3 series BMW, IMO, is for those that can't really afford the luxury and performance of a real BMW but are just prcticing for the real deal.

Get the infinity or even look at the new Lexus.

And I work at Ford.

Geez

Somebody slap me.

He could always find a used Lincoln LS V8 sport for a good price...considered that avenue?

Or how about a Saab 9-5 Aero Or Volvo S60 T5-R? Those are highway bombers for sure, and a lot less common than all of the other cars you mentioned. Plus not even the cops will know what you have, and that is a car that's faster than theirs...lol

Just some more ideas for ya...
He's really not a big fan of used, the most, absolute most he would agree to is an 05 with little to no km's on it. I dont mind used, but he's got this solid disagreement to it.

I showed him a few Saabs and Volvos and he didn't really like em.
If your dad's not happy with the quality of his F-150, then he won't be happy with the quality of any DCX or GM product ... and if he's thinking import, he also won't be happy frankly with BMW -- amazing cars to drive but their quality sucks relative to what it should be for the money. At least according to J.D. Power.

Right now Lexus is at the top of the heap in terms of product quality and the quality of the experience ... before he buys anything make sure he test drives the Lexus IS250 or IS350.

My brother in law just took delivery of a loaded IS250 AWD with nav and rear view camera for mid 40's ... and you just know the re-sale value is going to be there.

And I can tell you first hand it is an awesome car to drive.
Well if your wanting BMW ask where the car was made, I know 95% of all 3 series are made in Alabama, or Georgia if I remember correctly, and they tend to have some issues with them at some point or another.

Plus owning a BMW means more costs all around, not to mention higher insurance rates to think of in the long run, not to mention usually any BMW makes some list or another for being stolen.

Well if he is interested in Imports there are more then just infinity and Lexius, if you live in or near Oakville check out Budd's Imports, they have some really nice cars imported here that are kinda rare for north america like Alfeo Romeo, Skoda, Renualt and Peugout
What about Audi?

01-yellow-ZX3

Random Hero,Jan 8 2006, 04:11 PM Wrote:What about Audi?
[right][snapback]163830[/snapback][/right]

Ditto.
The G35 has been and always will be one of my favourite imports for one distinct reason - it's the North American version of the Skyline, in this case the GTS-4 sedan, albeit with fairly significant powertrain differences.

G35 FTW.
I was trying to give shout outs for the domestics and imports since these days it seems like everyone is selling out and buying toyota or honda or nissan....I would guess your dad wants to have something different...
Drivesthebeast,Jan 8 2006, 08:22 PM Wrote:I was trying to give shout outs for the domestics and imports since these days it seems like everyone is selling out and buying toyota or honda or nissan....I would guess your dad wants to have something different...
[right][snapback]163848[/snapback][/right]

He wants something that he is comfortable with, enjoys driving and not something he will regret getting into everyday. We have looked at Nissan and he didn't like anything, even the 350Z, he doesn't want Honda and he doesn't want Toyota.

All of your options and everyones opinions are greatly appreciated, no one has to feel like their opinion is inferior :) Believe me, this thread has made me look at options I wasn't looking at before, and i'm thankfull for it.

Like I said before he is a Ford guy, and I havent really looked at anything outside of the big 3 because before I had the mentality of "Domestic or Die" (not literally but you know what I mean) and looking outside the box has opened my mind and my tastes as well. I mean, i'm not going to be driving a Ranger for the rest of my life and knowing whats out there will help me in the future.

Keep the ideas comming, i'm open to anything. Just avoid used cars because hes a stubborn old man (well...mid 50's....but he is pretty darn old) and he does not like the idea of used vehicles. Dont ask me why, i've lived with him for many years and I dont even know that yet. :P
Well if you are still looking for ideas why not for "shits and giggles" test drive a turbo Subaru Legacy?

A 250 HP, AWD, Midsize, automatic with steering wheel paddles the top of the line version starts at $40G. I've had two Subarus and they have both been awesome.

If you are anywhere near Mississuaga I'll hook you up with my great dealer relationship (ie/ my salesman who rembers me after 3 years, the parts guy I've known since 1996 and am first name with, the service desk dudes and the major HAWT receptionists.

http://www.subarulegacy.ca/
insted of new how about old then ?

has your dad thought about a classic car ?

LOL If he would concider it, he could get my '66 Mustang coupe, guarenteed it would be the only car he would buy that would lose no value only gain value each year, and it is thousands less then a new car.

did I mention it's got over 300 hp stock ?
I'll buy it off you, how much you sellin for? lol

For him, I think its down between the g35 and the Charger....