FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Switch Hook Up Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok now, I have 4 neon bulbs in my car that my buddy hooked up before. I don’t do a lot of electrical work so I just want to double check before I try to hook it back up.

Right now from what I can tell he bunched all the positive and negative wires from the bulbs together with a clamp and there is an exposed wire I can use on both to attach to the switch or what ever. Now I have a live wire with a 10amp in-line fuse so it’s my power. But how do I connect it all to the switch.
The ground wires don't go through the switch. On a DC circuit, the power lines (hot in, switched out) are connected by the switch.

So long as you're connecting positive to positive, you should be good.

If there's a negative wire in there that was hooked up before but not now, it'll have to ground out to the chassis and whatnot.

Where are the wires - inside the passenger cabin? Do you know where he grounded out to before?
Well Right now I know I have the power and there is a wire to the chasis.

every thing is behind the pannel down near the inside fuse box. I put the switches in the cover that way I could pop it off to work on it if I needed to.

so Basicly I need to hook up the negative from the bulbs to this ground wire not the switch and I need to hook up live wire and the positive from the bulbs together on the switch or?
Yes, if you have two connections to make:

The connection for the live power to the switch and then to the neons' positive wire. DO THIS FIRST.

The ground from the string of neons to the existing ground. DO THIS LAST.

OK so live wire to one post on the switch and the neon power wire to the other post.
Use the chasis ground to ground the neons LAST ;)
You got it man :D