FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Workout Goals!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since it seems yet again on most peoples list on this site they want to get into better shape... Lets see some of your plans on how you expect to do this! Im always curious to see what other people do.

I myself have still be rebuilding my left leg after my surgery last summer.. its getting much much better.. its stronger then it was before surgery but im still not at the level I want it to be.

Other then that, I do 30 mins of cardio every day in the morning, no exceptions.

And I strength train, not in a gym, 4-5 times a week. I dont do any sort of bodypart isolation, I combine almost everything. Push pulls splits are good, crosstraining/fitness courses, plyometrics... etc.

Ok your turns!

On a side note I talked to Puppet about this before and he thought it was a cool idea... I thought we could have a fitness meet. I rent out a gym basement with hardwood and mats and train people from my sites in there... It costs like 40 bucks to rent it out for 2 hours... As long as we can cover that Im up for running a cool little work out session dealing with bodyweight, full body type exercises. Lemme know what you guys think.
I'll be switching back to a very boring, but very high protein diet*, doing strength training (the final push back to benching 300lbs!!)\ and cardio in split sessions.

Weight training in the morning, cardio in the afternoon or evening.

I run a 5 day workout rotation
1) legs
2) chest/abs
3) back
4) shoulders/abs
5) arms (tris and bis)

cardio is either 30 minutes of interval training on a bike & trainer or 1 hour of easy spinning

while I'll be focusing on strictly weightloss, I'll minimize caloric restrictions until March, where I'll kick into high gear for summer. From past experience, there's no reason I couldn't cut 35-50lbs by July. But since I'm turning 30 in May, I'm just going to listen to my body and make adjustments. Feeling like crap or killing myself is not a goal.

* I don't do atkins, or the popularily poorly executed version of it per se... high fiber, high protein, minimal fat, and low carb.
Firm goals for me are cutting the last 10-15 lbs of fat off my body, leaving me just around 215lbs. I would like to get below 15 percent body fat which I think is a fairly attainable goal just depends on how committed I really want to get.

Overall I'm looking to get stronger and build greater endurance rather than building size. I've stayed away from all old favorites, bench press, squats and dead lifts in favor of free weight and core exercises.

Still more plyo training is in order it's just so hard to get motivated for what I know will be a brutal workout. My trainer is putting together a modified version of the plan I was working on last fall which I really liked. It's a 5 day plan with one day of solid cardio which is usually my plyo day. Outside that I do a 15min warm-up on the elliptical machine 45mins of weights and then a 20min run 10min cool down walk.

Slow and steady, I’ve got nothing to prove and the last thing I need is an injury.

Oh and as for food well 5 meals a day, lots of water just a balanced meal plan nothing anti carb or high protein just lots of fruit vegetables carbs are usually whole grain etc.

It's a simple plan and one which is easy to stick with.
Now that I've got music, working out is easy again. Well, painful now, easy later :)

I need to figure out some back and shoulder exercises, but so far I have:

Standing dumbell curls
Bench flyes
Incline flyes
Free-weight squats
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Situps / pushups
Overhead press (dumbells)
Lateral raises

I was thinking of a suspended row (lying face down on weight bench and rowing dumbells up). Got any ideas?

Also, I could use some ideas for weighted / decent resistance side ab flexor exercises.

We've also got a magnetic resistance rowing machine. That's more of a cardio / strength split I've always thought.

Cardio is 20-40 minutes on the recumbent bike, starting next week. Actually, there's no time like the present... so make that tonight ;)

I'm also alternating light/heavy days eventually, but for now I'm working with the weight I have and just increasing reps / sets as I go. I need more weight <_<
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 5 2006, 09:51 AM Wrote:Now that I've got music, working out is easy again. Well, painful now, easy later :)

I need to figure out some back and shoulder exercises, but so far I have:

Standing dumbell curls
Bench flyes
Incline flyes
Free-weight squats
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Situps / pushups
Overhead press (dumbells)
[right][snapback]163393[/snapback][/right]

If I can make a suggestion or two try doing your curls on an incline bench it's going to put less strain on your back at make it harder to cheat. I would add lunges to your free weight squats for some variation and if you can do pushups work on dips as they will work your back shoulders and triceps. For shoulders I do a Front Raise, Lateral Raise and the upright row. For back since most any exercise will work your back to some degree I usually stick with just lat pull downs and rows.

Might sound silly but I use far less weight now than when I was training before, I spend more time focusing mentally on the muscle group and really pushing to get that specific burn. For example I only use 35lbs on my decline and incline flys I can't get the same level of isolation when I use even just 5lbs more.

Not sure if any of this will help at all, but I've been working since 5am so I needed a mental break.
Nice, thanks!

I have a very basic setup - bench with bar holder and leg extension piece. That's in addition to the recumbent / rower machine. Weighted rows and pulldowns just can't be done, hence the alternatives.

I do have dip bars on the bench that work great, I just forgot to mount them after I moved things around. I'll keep doing my lateral raise and add a front raise then. I'll also try the curls on the incline too.

Thanks Simon!
My goal is to get down to 10% bodyfat. Im sitting at about 17% right now.

Im going to be doing alot more cardio, 30-40 min range ,and going back to my 2-3 times a week of my Group power weight classes.

I figure im going to work on cutting for the next few months, and then in summer ill go back to my Max-OT 3 day split.

Right now i am at my lowest weight since grade 8, ideally id like to cut about 15 more pounds of fat, while maintaining my lean mass.

As for food, 4-6 meals a day. And im just trying to eat clean, whole foods. More fruits and veggies, and trying to increase my protien intake.

My one trouble right now is loose skin, it pisses me off so much, but hopefully that will fix itself over time.
I'm gonna start drinking more light beer and walk my dog more.

Here are some more exercises for the Back and Shoulders? If you would like other exercises for other bodyparts just let me know!!!!

Back

Bent Over Barbell Rows
One Arm Dumbell Rows
Deadlifts
Reverse Flys on a incline bench

Shoulders

Military Press
Barbell Shrugs / Dumbell Shrugs
Bent Over Single Lat Raises
Upright Barbell Row

NOS2Go4Me,Jan 5 2006, 11:14 AM Wrote:Nice, thanks!

I have a very basic setup - bench with bar holder and leg extension piece. That's in addition to the recumbent / rower machine. Weighted rows and pulldowns just can't be done, hence the alternatives.

I do have dip bars on the bench that work great, I just forgot to mount them after I moved things around. I'll keep doing my lateral raise and add a front raise then. I'll also try the curls on the incline too.

Thanks Simon!
[right][snapback]163399[/snapback][/right]
lose 10 to 15 lbs and to tone up a bit. and to get back to the gym.

i could probably have the weight off by the end of Feb or mid March if i work at it.
ZX3guy2000,Jan 5 2006, 12:29 PM Wrote:Military Press

[right][snapback]163434[/snapback][/right]

I used to love doing these. You want a great set try this. Start with the bar infront of you. Clean it to your chest... do a squat with the bar still infront of your chest then military press it finish by putting the bar back on the ground. Oh I loved doing that your entire body burns.
well since I fell on some ice at the park on new years eve in d/t Brampton, I have been taking it easy on my left wrist when it comes to my work out, till it heals up. But yeah since the 28th it's been more or less this:

1 hour lifting weights while watching tv / surfing the web usually on each arm - but reduced it on the left wrist as it still hurts, so 30 minutes at the moment. I started walking more, up to 10,000 steps in a day now ( I have a predomiter? ), weather's been good for walking lately too, I love the rain, so dose the dog :) planning on getting to 12,000 steps by the end of the month, and I just took up Yoga lol my friend is Kieko is totally all over me to make sure I do yoga for atleast an hour a day.

I've already started to watch what I eat, and limit on what I eat if I have fast food durring the week like I generally do, and so far it's been over 3 weeks since I hit anything other then a Mr. Sub or Subway. Since I work with food at my Job I don't have to worry their either as their are a few healthy options even at Tim Horton's, been having yogart, and veggie sandwiches.... little blan so far but I'm getting used to it.

and at home I've been changing my eating habbit to eat more Veggies durring dinner with no butter added to them, and so far I've made a few Veggaterian meals 3 times this week already.

When I get some more money I'll try to swing a gym member ship at the YMCA. But so far it's a slow change but I'm on the right track so far, so flame away guys...
More basic stuff for me as my body can't take as much pounding.

4 days a week including the following:
25 mins on the eliptical trainer each day
160 ab crunches each day

2 days of lat presses
1 day of butterflypresses and leg lifts
1 day of forearm weightlifts and leg presses

NefCanuck
Nice good stuff so far guys! I always enjoy reading this stuff....

Keep it going. Lets hear some more.
Euro Ford Fan,Jan 5 2006, 02:22 PM Wrote:

I used to love doing these. You want a great set try this. Start with the bar infront of you. Clean it to your chest... do a squat with the bar still infront of your chest then military press it finish by putting the bar back on the ground. Oh I loved doing that your entire body burns.
[right][snapback]163456[/snapback][/right]

That's it. You're offiically evil.

I ended up consulting most of the night last night, but I definitely want to try those.
^^-- if you want evil, I have a tricep exercise for you to try.
Fire away, great leader :D
ok... here goes.. I'm not sure what they're called officially, but I call it the SuperMan and it's a compound exercise made of three separate movements.

you'll need a flat bench, barbell and enough room to extend your arms fully behind you while lying down.

get a barbell, and put about half (or less) the weight on it that you'd normally use for lying barbell extensions... then do the three moves in this order, doing 8-12 reps of each, and after the 12th rep, continue to the next movement without pause... this will kill you the first time you do it so I can't stress enough to start with a light weight.

as a guide, I can do lying extensions with about 100lbs of weight for 12-15 reps for 4-5 sets. I do this exercise starting with 30lbs, and worked as high as 55.

lie down on the bench as if you'd be doing barbell extensions, start with your grip just slightly more narrow than shoulder width ..

now the three moves.

movement 1
Start with the bar up in the air, over your chest, and your grip just slightly more narrow than your shoulders. Lower the weight to your chest keeping your elbows by your side.
with the bar an inch from your chest, move it straight back over your head and behind you, fully extending your arms behind you.... do the movement slowly and controlled (make sure you can at least count to 2).
Bring the bar back to over your chest, and then push back up into the air above your chest.

repeat 8-12 times then continue to movement 2

movement 2
do barbell extensions with a slightly narrower grip...

The barbell starts up at arms length above your shoulders.

Moving only your forearms lower the barbell in an arc motion until it is an inch above your forehead. Using your triceps strength push the bar back up in an arc motion to the starting position.

repeat 8-12 times then continue to movement 3

movement 3
close grip bench press.
close your grip so your hands are nearly together, elbows out. Start with arms extended over your chest, lower to chest, then raise.

you may also feel this in the center of your chest if you've never done close grip bench before.

repeat 8-12 times.

now go off to a corner and cry.

do 3-4 sets of this compound exerices.

because it's a compound exercise, you really don't need much other tricep exercises after this. Whereas, I'd normally do 3-4 bicep exercises, this one exercise can be coupled with just some pulldowns to help build strength.

building tris is the quickest way to a killer bench press.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 6 2006, 01:23 PM Wrote:
Euro Ford Fan,Jan 5 2006, 02:22 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]163456[/snapback][/right]

That's it. You're offiically evil.

I ended up consulting most of the night last night, but I definitely want to try those.
[right][snapback]163552[/snapback][/right]

i can vouch, it is eveil, but it feels damn good, and hurts like hell!! I call them clean & press' tho.

Upright row, flip wrists under bar and squat with bar in front of you, military press, then sort of a reverse controlled upright row, back to starting position.

WHOLE BODY GETS AN ASS KICKING!!
You guys should see the stack of workout printouts I'll have after all this.

It's really appreciated!
Pages: 1 2