FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Breaking News - Chevy Beats Ford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From Automotive News:

DETROIT -- Chevrolet beat the Ford Division in U.S. sales by 17,084 units in 2005, dislodging Ford from the top of the sales chart for the first time since 1986.

On Dec. 1, Chevy led Ford by 9,318 units. In 2004, Ford beat Chevrolet by 18,801 units.

Sales at both automakers fell in 2005. Chevrolet outsold Ford in cars. Chevy sold 899,116 cars in 2005, compared with 742,423 cars sold by Ford. That was a difference of 156,693 units.

But Ford, while it sold more trucks than Chevrolet in 2005, saw a bigger drop in truck sales from 2004. Ford sold 1,891,618 trucks in 2005, 189,932 units less than it sold in 2004. Chevrolet sold 1,752,009 trucks in 2005, 87,120 units less than 2004. In 2005, Ford sold 139,609 more trucks than Chevrolet.
Hold onto your hats boys, if you haven't yet figured it out, were in a downward economic spiral that could be real trouble if oil prices and futures get out of hand.

The world is changing.
meford4u,Jan 4 2006, 08:00 PM Wrote:Hold onto your hats boys, if you haven't yet figured it out, were in a downward economic spiral that could be real trouble if oil prices and futures get out of hand.

The world is changing.
[right][snapback]163303[/snapback][/right]
I think I've been hearing about this since I was born. Tell me something new. Something happy. Something like "on the upside, people might drive less and it will be better for the environment" or something...
meford4u,Jan 4 2006, 07:00 PM Wrote:Hold onto your hats boys, if you haven't yet figured it out, were in a downward economic spiral that could be real trouble if oil prices and futures get out of hand.

The world is changing.
[right][snapback]163303[/snapback][/right]

Quiet everyone, an old man is talking!
Thing is ford car sales are up 2% this year, chevy is down.

Now a days it's how many you sell, not how many sales crown's you have.
Kool_ZX3,Jan 4 2006, 09:57 PM Wrote:Thing is ford car sales are up 2% this year, chevy is down.

Now a days it's how many you sell, not how many sales crown's you have.
[right][snapback]163329[/snapback][/right]
Although its true that sales crowns don't count for much ... volume by itself is also meaningless without profitability. Ford's volume is virtually empty ... a.ka. profitless - as is GM's for that matter. Even more startlng about Toyota's steady increase in volume (NA and worldwide) is that it's accompanied by a steady increase in profitability.
1.8 million trucks in one year?!?!

holy fawk that's a lot of trucks. A bit absurd to be honest.
nass,Jan 4 2006, 11:54 PM Wrote:1.8 million trucks in one year?!?!

holy fawk that's a lot of trucks. A bit absurd to be honest.
[right][snapback]163354[/snapback][/right]

If your talking about GM, yah they sold alot. To bad a fair bit go into fleets where more ford's go into retail customer hands, the most important customer. If Gm never sold as many vehicles as they do to fleets, well let's just say they would be in freaking trouble :lol:
The world has changed...............except in North America. Truck = king.......damn when are we gonna realize that trucks are for companies not for going to the corner store with.
D-Dub,Jan 4 2006, 11: Wrote:The world has changed...............except in North America. Truck = king.......damn when are we gonna realize that trucks are for companies not for going to the corner store with.
[right][snapback]163358[/snapback][/right]

Last summer when gas was $1.30 a litre was a good wake up call when people see that price all the time they will start thinking "maybe we should start thinking about buying a smaller more fuel efficient car".

Laterz :)
Canadian figures:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060105-14.htm

[Image: icon13.gif]EDIT: Warning! Not Safe for Adult Lifestyles (NSFAL) The title in article may be confusing! When they talk about December sales what they are talking about is in fact: December sales. Please take the time to expalin such to the elderly!
Your figures are only for December Andrew.

But it's interesting to note Nissan and Toyota sales slipping somewhat.
meford4u,Jan 5 2006, 08:51 AM Wrote:Your figures are only for December Andrew.

[right][snapback]163383[/snapback][/right]

I thought:

Automakers record relatively strong December sales

in the title was self explainatory, my apologies. I have edited my original post, will you be requiring a "large print" version?
we aren't discussing 1 month, were discussing the whole year!

don't you slip into alzheimers just yet
K_OS,Jan 5 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Jan 4 2006, 11: Wrote:The world has changed...............except in North America. Truck = king.......damn when are we gonna realize that trucks are for companies not for going to the corner store with.
[right][snapback]163358[/snapback][/right]

Last summer when gas was $1.30 a litre was a good wake up call when people see that price all the time they will start thinking "maybe we should start thinking about buying a smaller more fuel efficient car".

Laterz :)
[right][snapback]163376[/snapback][/right]

yeah you'd think so eh but after the gas hit 1.30 and is now in the 85-95 range people are ok again. I don't see any less SUVs on the road you see them driving off the lot everyday. It boils down to saftey. You are safer is a bigger vehicle than a small one and that is a price people are willing to pay.

I agree with that mentality but if everyone had small cars then we wouldn't be thinking that. Also who is the biggest hog for trucks and SUVs? you can thank americans for loving the bigger i s better way of life.

Also I am not sure they changed this loop hole or not but in the states you can pretty much buy a truck that is over a certain weight and get a rebate and in most cases get the truck for next to nothing. This incentive was created to help out farmers and the like not to help soccer moms. Funny thing is I think the weight is 6500lbs and at that weight those suvs/trucks can't drive on a lot of side roads cause they exceed weight restrictions and the car companies know this so they purposely make the truck weight that much. Mind you I haven't researched this but you might notice most american bound trucks weighting pretty much the same.
well I can think of two SUV's that get poor gas milage

Ford Excursion - was rated at 12.3 MPG highway / 9.3 MPG city
GM Hummer - 13.7 MPG city / 16.8 MPG highway
Frost__2001,Jan 6 2006, 01:24 AM Wrote:well I can think of two SUV's that get poor gas milage

Ford Excursion - was rated at 12.3 MPG highway /  9.3 MPG city
GM Hummer - 13.7 MPG city / 16.8 MPG highway
[right][snapback]163490[/snapback][/right]

maybe car companies are in bed with the oil tycoons, and seeing the us government on the side.
Frost__2001,Jan 5 2006, 08:24 PM Wrote:well I can think of two SUV's that get poor gas milage

Ford Excursion - was rated at 12.3 MPG highway /  9.3 MPG city
way
[right][snapback]163490[/snapback][/right]

no longer in production

at ford, we listen :D
Even more bad news for Ford in Canada. For the 2005 calendar year, Chrysler outsold Ford for the first time ever ... 216,857 total car and truck vs. 211, 986.

It wasn't that long ago (1991 when I first started doing work for Ford) that Ford had about 24% of the Canadian market ... GM had about 35% and Chrysler was at about 14%.

Today GM still hovers around 30%, while Ford has slipped to below 13% and as noted above Chrysler is obviously now ahead of Ford; while Toyota, with one-fourth the number of dealers, is nipping at Ford's heels.

Under the less than watchful gaze of Jac Nasser, and to some degree Alex Trotman, Ford really took their eyes off the ball (especially in terms of cars and quality) and it is possible that they may never fully recover.

We could be witnessing history in the making here. In any event, it seems certain that Ford's next 100 years will be nothing like their first century.
at Ford were fawked

big announcement coming Jan 23rd.

25k people gone and 8-10 plants closing.

Cross your fingers.

We were told we were safe

But Ford lies.

Pages: 1 2