FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Reminder To Air Travellers..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I learned yesterday morning flying back to Toronto from Thunder Bay, all luggage going onto airplanes is now manditorily scanned at check-in. Allow yourself extra time when traveling by air..

I had a box containing some cooking utensils and clothes unwrapped at the airport... and if it's happening in podunk Thunder Bay, it's happening everywhere, make sure if you're travelling by air to get to your airport at least 90 minutes ahead of your domestic flight, at least 2 hours before international flight.

used to be you could show up just before bording time, but alas, that is no longer the case... you will have to stand in line for at least a half hour.

Also, I've heard the US should now be requiring a passport or special government ID for you to enter the states (applies to canadians and returning US citizens)... you don't hear it in the news because it's a thorny issue no politician wants to touch during the election campaign. I can't personally confirm this, but be prepared if you're heading to the states anytime soon.

Considering the hassle I got traveling from buttnut nowhere canada to buttnut nowhere US, things are only going to be worse around larger city centers.

Not to be a total ass or anything but welcome to 3 years ago. :huh:

darkpuppet,Jan 4 2006, 12:12 PM Wrote:As I learned yesterday morning flying back to Toronto from Thunder Bay, all luggage going onto airplanes is now manditorily scanned at check-in.  Allow yourself extra time when traveling by air..

I had a box containing some cooking utensils and clothes unwrapped at the airport...  and if it's happening in podunk Thunder Bay, it's happening everywhere, make sure if you're travelling by air to get to your airport at least 90 minutes ahead of your domestic flight, at least 2 hours before international flight.

used to be you could show up just before bording time, but alas, that is no longer the case... you will have to stand in line for at least a half hour.

Also, I've heard the US should now be requiring a passport or special government ID for you to enter the states (applies to canadians and returning US citizens)... you don't hear it in the news because it's a thorny issue no politician wants to touch during the election campaign.  I can't personally confirm this, but be prepared if you're heading to the states anytime soon.

Considering the hassle I got traveling from buttnut nowhere canada to buttnut nowhere US, things are only going to be worse around larger city centers.
[right][snapback]163222[/snapback][/right]
the strange thing is that flying out of pearson or thunder bay, I've never had to go through such hassle. It's a totally new thing for me THIS year.

hell, going through vancouver, I was joking and making bets with the security screeners about what would set off the metal detectors (and always lost) because they were so lax.

I've never been held for more than 5 minutes at a border crossing before either, what makes a day trip for snow boarding in minesota so much more a threat than a day trip for snowboarding in New York?

I'm just saying that this is the 1st year I've been actually inconvenienced in Canada traveling to the US... I think others will notice the difference as well regardless of what was recommended before this more recent crackdown.

I wouldn't have been so surprised had it been within the 1st 4 years of 9/11
When I went to Reno in November (05), it was tightened up some, but even US customs at PIA wasn't that bad.

I can hardly wait for my next run to the Reno office :rolleyes:
Good thing I never fly. (I guess...)
yeah just remember in 2007 you are required to have your passport to enter the US, unless your a Status Native. Same goes for Americans to return to their country.
When I flew to Vancouver last spring I had my luggage opened and searched at the security in Ottawa, with my wife and 3 yr old in tow. Mostly because after I passed through the metal detector I looked at the security agent where you pick up your keys/jackets etc.
Geez, makes me really think twice about any trips to the US lemme tell ya. Last time I flew out of Pearson in '03 to Zurich everything was cool with me, even with the cane and knee brace, a quick explanation and all was well. My mother got nailed because she stupidly left her nail clippers in her carry on luggage (Even after I had warned her not to because they were on the verboten list <_< )

Going through security in Zurich to get on the plane home was a goddamn nightmare, despite explaining everything in great detail I get yanked into a side room where this 50ish male security officer proceeds to direct me to take the knee brace off, stand up and then proceeds to karate chop (lightly) my legs up and down twice including three passes at my crotch region. If I didn't need to get on the plane I would have been a smartass and told him it was $50 for the three feels :angry:

I can't imagine what the US would be like now, nor do I really wanna :ph34r:

NefCanuck
so I am going to mexico in march do I need a passport I was told NO hmm let me know guys only if you know no t if you live in north bay and have no idea just trying t get your post count up
I got yanked aside coming home from Calgary a few weeks back.

Went thorough my laptop (no biggie) they usually do this anyhow. I was asked to remove my trench coat belt shoes and socks.

They then proceeded to open my 4 18x24 portfolios containing my presentation and reviewed all the concept boards. I had to go into great detail of what I did, why my bags were stuffed with confidential pharmaceutical information and where I was going.

I'm sure I was a guniea pig of some sort. I almost missed my freakin; flight because I too was used to showing up 15 min before boarding.

Not anymore.
I few into the US 29 times last year and crossed the boarder oh at least 60 or so. I've had every search but the full body I've been finger printed hell I've even paid a fee to enter the US. Do I care no.. If they make the rules and I want to travel there then I do what they want. You want to know a secret though to getting around the long security lineups. Book your flight 48hrs or less before you leave then your guaranteed the full search takes about 5mins which is far less than waiting in the line for any early morning flights.

Oh yeah and if you ever go to Cuba don't get your passport stamped makes it a real bitch to get into the US after that. LOL

I still get harassed more when I come back into Canada though every time I get some PITA want to be crossing guard even at 4am.
I've never been given a hassle coming back into the country.

I just say, "good evening sir. How's it going, eh?"

and like the jedi mind trick,
"welcome back to Canada, move along... move along..."

The last time I was asked for ID coming back into canada was when I was 12 and travelling with my parents.
The only time I was questioned, not really hassled, was when I brought Sara some tiny crystal animals back from Reno last April. They couldn't believe I actually declared $45USD of stuff.

I wasn't searched or pulled aside, but the agent's face was priceless.

Ironically, last November's trip was smooth and I had a bag full of crap they could have questioned. It was all mine, but the duffel was like full to exploding level almost :D