FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Imrc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know if a 2.0 Zetec motor has aIntake Man. Runner control circuit.
Thanks
escapingoth,Jan 3 2006, 02:05 AM Wrote:Does anyone know if a 2.0 Zetec motor has aIntake Man. Runner control circuit.
Thanks
[right][snapback]162910[/snapback][/right]

no, that's an SPI only option

Thanks Nass.

At least now I know why I am getting error code p1520. On a Zetec replaced into a SPI car.

escapingoth,Jan 3 2006, 02:12 AM Wrote:Thanks Nass.

At least now I know why I am getting error code p1520. On a Zetec replaced into a SPI car.
[right][snapback]162915[/snapback][/right]

so you seriously got an engine swap without even knowing it? Do you know the people that sold you the car? or the dealership.... wonder if you can trace it back.
I bought it at a small small dealership. He got it from a dealer auction. So no way of tracing back.
I wonder if I was to pick up a PCM for a zetec. any ideas on what issues I would have.
escapingoth,Jan 3 2006, 02:49 AM Wrote:I bought it at a small small dealership. He got it from a dealer auction. So no way of tracing back.
I wonder if I was to pick up a PCM for a zetec. any ideas on what issues I would have.
[right][snapback]162937[/snapback][/right]

from what I've read you shouldn't be able to run a zetec with a SPI ecu... I could be wrong though.
from what I've read you shouldn't be able to run a zetec with a SPI ecu... I could be wrong though.
If you look at my last post under hose coming from thermostat, I wonder if that could be one of the problems I'm running into.
I have an overheating problem when I get the car upto about 100kmh, can you think of any differences in cooling hoses between a spi and putting in a zetec.
I think pics would help everybody....as i'm sure we are all curious to see the
spi->zetec conversion focus :P
Yeah really... it's almost scary to think they're running a Zetec off the SPI ECU.
What province are you posting from and/or which one did the car come from?

I'd be concerned with it's history, like being in a flood somewhere but some provinces are better than others with these records.
the over heating could be a lot of things. you could have a bad/wrong t-stat. The cluster/ecu is expecting readings from an SPI which I would only assume runs at a totally different temp. range so your gauge could be saying you're over heating while you're not really. I think Zetecs run hotter and given that the gauge is really only a 3 stage one that would make sense. Run 10 degrees hotter and it goes into the red.

You know what you might be better off flipping this car and getting another one cause I forsee many an oddity in the future.
My camera just died so I will have to get back to you on pics. I might be able to borrow one.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 3 2006, 07:15 AM Wrote:Yeah really... it's almost scary to think they're running a Zetec off the SPI ECU.
[right][snapback]162979[/snapback][/right]

If I was to put a Zetec ECU in what problems do you see me having.
2001 ZTS,Jan 3 2006, 07:41 AM Wrote:What province are you posting from and/or which one did the car come from?

I'd be concerned with it's history, like being in a flood somewhere but some provinces are better than others with these records.
[right][snapback]162983[/snapback][/right]

I am posting from Edmonton. I don't know where the car came from and at this point it's probably better if I don't know where it came from. I only hope that the previous owner doesn't come up to me and say "that use to be my car".
nass,Jan 3 2006, 12:32 PM Wrote:the over heating could be a lot of things. you could have a bad/wrong t-stat. The cluster/ecu is expecting readings from an SPI which I would only assume runs at a totally different temp. range so your gauge could be saying you're over heating while you're not really. I think Zetecs run hotter and given that the gauge is really only a 3 stage one that would make sense. Run 10 degrees hotter and it goes into the red.

You know what you might be better off flipping this car and getting another one cause I forsee many an oddity in the future.
[right][snapback]163045[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking of flipping it, but then someone else would be on this board asking the same questions. lol
Any idea who would be the best person to get hold of (someone with a lot of knowledge on both engines).
Do you think the ecu would be telling the gauge what temp it is. If it does then putting in a zetec ecu might be the answer. This is definetly a challenge. But hey if Ford could screw a nice car up this badly we should be able to fix it.
It seems like once a question gets answered (not many of these yet) a few more come up. At least now I know it's a zetec.
escapingoth,Jan 4 2006, 02:37 AM Wrote:
nass,Jan 3 2006, 12:32 PM Wrote:the over heating could be a lot of things. you could have a bad/wrong t-stat. The cluster/ecu is expecting readings from an SPI which I would only assume runs at a totally different temp. range so your gauge could be saying you're over heating while you're not really. I think Zetecs run hotter and given that the gauge is really only a 3 stage one that would make sense. Run 10 degrees hotter and it goes into the red.

[right][snapback]163045[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking of flipping it, but then someone else would be on this board asking the same questions. lol
Any idea who would be the best person to get hold of (someone with a lot of knowledge on both engines).
Do you think the ecu would be telling the gauge what temp it is. If it does then putting in a zetec ecu might be the answer. This is definetly a challenge. But hey if Ford could screw a nice car up this badly we should be able to fix it.
It seems like once a question gets answered (not many of these yet) a few more come up. At least now I know it's a zetec.
[right][snapback]163144[/snapback][/right]

I highly doubt you have an SPI ecu running the show, there are simply too many sensors on the different engines that do different things for them to be interchangeable but I could be wrong I don't know too much about this aspect. you could venture under the glovebox and find the ecu and read the code off it?