FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Winning Edge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Winning Edge
By: Peter Doskoch
Summary: We're primed to think that talent is the key to success. But what counts even more is a fusion of passion and perseverance. In a world of instant gratification, grit may yield the biggest payoff of all.

Quote:

Quote:Wiles' intellect is inarguably impressive; one of his colleagues told The New York Times that only 1 in 1,000 professional mathematicians were capable of understanding Wiles' work. However, the Princeton professor himself attributes his accomplishment not to his brains but to his persistence. "For me, it was the main thing," he says.

It is likely that somewhere, at this very moment, a parent or coach is declaring to a discouraged child that "quitters never win." But perseverance has come to seem like quaint lip service against the tide of interest in talent and aptitude, flashier gifts that nature, or genes, seem to inarguably confer.

And yet grit may turn out to be at least as good a gauge of future success as talent itself. In a series of provocative new studies at the University of Pennsylvania, researchers find that the gritty are more likely to achieve success in school, work and other pursuits -- perhaps because their passion and commitment help them endure the inevitable setbacks that occur in any long-term undertaking. In other words, it's not just talent that matters but also character. "Unless you're a genius, I don't think that you can ever do better than your competitors without a quality like grit," says Martin E. P. Seligman, director of the university's Positive Psychology Center.

This is a great read... for those who feel like reading it.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pt...1017-000003.xml
[Image: grimes.gif]
2001 ZTS,Jan 2 2006, 10:27 AM Wrote:[Image: grimes.gif]
[right][snapback]162829[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I am in Alanta I always get the GRITS

Good read
lol ... 2001 I thought you were 1 person that could relate to this...
tdot-zx3,Jan 2 2006, 06: Wrote:lol ... 2001 I thought you were 1 person that could relate to this...
[right][snapback]162891[/snapback][/right]

I'm very complex.

:fluffy: