FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hose Coming Off The Thermostat Housing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a hose coming off of the bottom of the thermostat housing running to the firewall. There is a smaller hose coming off this hose (aprox 1 foot long). Mine has been disconnected with a bolt plugging the end of it.
Can anyone please tell me where this hose goes too and any idea why the previous owner would have plugged it.
2000 SPI engine.
Thank you
Uh... if there's another hose housing near that, that's the inlet for the heater core for the passenger compartment. I think.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 31 2005, 02:51 PM Wrote:Uh... if there's another hose housing near that, that's the inlet for the heater core for the passenger compartment. I think.
[right][snapback]162640[/snapback][/right]

Wow now I'm really confused.
Here I thought I had a SPI and now I just found out by shear fluke that I have ztec. I've only had the car for a really short time, it was sold to me as a spi not a ztec. I was looking at the vin # and it the 6&7th digits are 36 which shows it as a wagon and the 8 digit is a spi but definitly it is a ztec. The previous owner must have replaced the engine.

The hose that I was referring to is tee'd off the heater hose that goes from the firewall to the back of the thermostat. I went to a couple of dealerships to see if I could see the same hose and I could see the hose goes to the back of the throttle body on a spi but couldn't find a dealer with a 2000ztec.
I havn't go a clue now what to do.
Thank you for replying and giving me the advice.
Hans
So it's a vacuum line? Sorry man, but it's like minus eleventy here and dark, and sticking my head under my hood wasn't the brightest idea last night... nevermind tonight :P

Seriously tho... the guy had a Zetec in there and now there's a SPI?

I take it you have an auto then?

2 things likely happened... one, he modded it or failed to maintain it and it literally blew, or 2, he cracked it up, repaired the body and couldn't get a Zetec quickly enough so he dumped a SPI in.

That second one's a tad more far-fetched, as the ECU code and programming is quite different between a Zetec and a SPI. He'd need a completely new set of accessories under the hood, belts, ECU, vacuum lines, other hoses for coolant, etc.

You've got quite the quandry happening there. You might want to step aside for a sec and try to sort this mess out.

Is the car a new acquisition? Is it a hatch!?!?!?!?!

Was it bought from a dealer, second-hand car shop, or a private sale?

Something questions need answering, I'd say.

Good luck!

EDIT - also, and this part is quite vital at this stage of the game... does the valve cover of the engine say Zetec anywhere on it? Or does it say Split Port Induction?
See, now my car is making you confused. lol

It was a spi and now is a zetec.
I can relate to the cold, even though mine is is a garage it's still cold out there.
Definitly not a vac hose though.
Its a formed rubber tee off of the heater hose.
It might be time to get another car though.
Well, if you have heat and it runs well enough, I'd be foolish enough to say you didn't get an upgrade. Zetecs mod like mad and still get decent fuel economy when driven conservatively. Which means that not many of the regulars here drive that way. Again, not surprising because we're motorheads :D

It's an interesting notion, because I was told in no uncertain terms that swapping a Zetec in would be difficult.
My serial number is 1FAFP36P9YW......
In a repair manual CD that I have itsays that it is a ZTS sedan. Another place I checked it showed that it was a wagon SE. In both places it shows that it is suppose to be a 2.0SPI but it isn't an spi.
What do you figure.
Where's my torch. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is the car running poorly, are there any issues? I'd say if there's no issue then just close the hood....if it ain't broke don't fix it!!
hardk0re,Jan 1 2006, 02:50 PM Wrote:Is the car running poorly, are there any issues?  I'd say if there's no issue then just close the hood....if it ain't broke don't fix it!!
[right][snapback]162721[/snapback][/right]

and that's how everyone should live their life! lol
I'm going outside to check my zetec, I'll right back.....Getting a zetec for the price of a spi...priceless!
I looked, and only saw the return line comming from the core. Maybe the previous owner had a secondary water heater in the engine bay to heat-up the water before it got to the heater core. I would have to see it for my self. The good news is you got a zetec not a spi, no offense to spi owners but the spi sucks ass. Did you asked the dealer about the pluged hose? Do you have heat comming out of the heater? If you see no cooling problems and the dealer have no clue. enjoy you zetec wagon!
I do have heat coming out of the heater. When driving at 100k the temp gauge goes to the red. On an spi there is a hose going to the throttle body. I have code P1520 showing up on the scanner. Gas mileage is sitting about 24mpg (with very conservative driving). Engine surges at a steady 50 to 60kmh. My wife has said that sometimes when she drives the car and under moderate accelerating it starts to rev (seeming like it slips out of gear) and then changes gear.
Should I shoot it now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you have a digital cam?

Pics would help me out a lot.
Of me shooting it. :lol:
I will try to post pics later on today.
Have you seen anypics on the intake manifold runner actuator.

02ztsian

I say go and re-check the VIN and go to this page and deciepher the VIN-P36 (SPI) could be mis-read for P38(ZTS)
don't all Zetec's have the big ZETEC logo on the valve cover? hopefully they charged you less selling it as an SPI :)
nass,Jan 2 2006, 11:41 AM Wrote:don't all Zetec's have the big ZETEC logo on the valve cover? hopefully they charged you less selling it as an SPI :)
[right][snapback]162856[/snapback][/right]

My valve covers had been painted white. So if there was a Zetec logo on it, she's gone now. Usually I'm pretty good on knowing what engine I've got but I would have never thought that someone would have changed the engine. Especially nowadays with all the computer control.

I have checked in a few areas on the net now and all the places show it as a SPI.

Let's play a little game... is this your engine?

[Image: th_valvecover.jpg]
[Image: th_sideshot1.jpg]
[Image: th_intake1.jpg]

If it has a dual-faced valve cover (two flat surfaces facing up towards the hood) with a horizontal valley between the flat spots for the spark plugs, painted or not, it's a Zetec. Otherwise it will look like the above engine. Also, the spark plug wires are a dead giveaway. If they go through the valve cover, it's a Zetec. If it's like the above and the plugs are in the front, it's a SPI.

If it's neither, you're screwed! :lol: :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 3 2006, 06:54 PM Wrote:Let's play a little game... is this your engine?

[Image: th_valvecover.jpg]
[Image: th_sideshot1.jpg]
[Image: th_intake1.jpg]

If it has a dual-faced valve cover (two flat surfaces facing up towards the hood) with a horizontal valley between the flat spots for the spark plugs, painted or not, it's a Zetec. Otherwise it will look like the above engine. Also, the spark plug wires are a dead giveaway. If they go through the valve cover, it's a Zetec. If it's like the above and the plugs are in the front, it's a SPI.

If it's neither, you're screwed! :lol: :lol:
[right][snapback]163017[/snapback][/right]

not a personal attack or anything but that SPI engine is pure ugly. Looks like something out of a 32 studabaker.
Pages: 1 2