FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I'm Old True... Automatic Vs Manual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok boys and girls I was having this discussion with friends last night all of whom I've known for years and are all car guys. We got talking about new cars since 3 of us have new auto's on order at the moment. My Torrent a G35x and a Nissan Quest. Now Brian has a 14 month old so he needs the minivan since child number 2 is on the way. Mark traded in his cobra vert for the G35x because it was safer in the winter and he was sick of driving a manual. I ordered my torrent because my Tib is not what I want any longer. It lead us to the question would we miss driving our manual cars, surpisingly nobody in the group said yes. Sure every once in a while on a sunny afternoon but not every day stuck in traffic or looking for a spot to park at the mall or grocery store. Looking back at my last few cars I can see a trend.
99 Grandam GT Auto (No manual option)
01 Sonoma ZR2 Auto
03 Lexus IS300 Auto (Chose the Auto with sport shift which I never used.)
06 Pontiac Torrent Auto

So my question given the choice to get out of your car would you choose an automatic? Post your age as well.

Yes 27.
I'd miss my manual tranny. I would miss it most on the drives through Algonquin and on open roads early in the morning on the way to the golf course.

However, I was thinking of this the other day. Jen and I are currently sizing up cars for the next purchase. We're guessing the Tercel might have another couple of years in it, and the next car will have to be kid friendly.

There isn't a whole lot of manual kid friendly autos out there so we got to discussing it.

She actually agreed to the thought of trying to keep at least one manual car in the driveway. I like manual, she's tired of it.

So the next car may not be the most "bitchin'" purchase, but when the Focus dies.... I may have thye oppertunity to actually buy a driving "machine"

I bought manual because I like driving it, she bought manual because it was cheaper (university car purchase)
ANTHONYD,Dec 30 2005, 10:39 AM Wrote:I bought manual because I like driving it, she bought manual because it was cheaper (university car purchase)
[right][snapback]162524[/snapback][/right]

But what makes a manual better than an automatic? My lexus was every bit of an exciting car to drive with it's automatic possibly better because it's gearing was more useful. I had it at autoX events and on the track a number of times.

I can understand if it's just the action of shifting which makes it better than the horrible kick down of a bad automatic but the good ones are getting very very good.
Euro Ford Fan,Dec 30 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Dec 30 2005, 10:39 AM Wrote:I bought manual because I like driving it, she bought manual because it was cheaper (university car purchase)

But what makes a manual better than an automatic? My lexus was every bit of an exciting car to drive with it's automatic possibly better because it's gearing was more useful. I had it at autoX events and on the track a number of times.

I can understand if it's just the action of shifting which makes it better than the horrible kick down of a bad automatic but the good ones are getting very very good.
[right][snapback]162526[/snapback][/right]

I think they are seriously trying to make automatics as exilerating as the mannies, but it's like vegitarian meatloaf. It's mimiking the true experience.

Are they better?

I think they're GETTING better....will they be the same one day? Probably performance wise, but some people like the "action" of actually "driving" their cars to the fullest. There will always be oldskool people buying sticks.

It will eventually be like ford, mopar, chevy etc.... preferences.

In time, I'm sure they'll be just as fun for me.

This it hink will be our next car. (Auto)

[Image: 05.nissan.altima.ser.int.500.jpg]
[Image: 2005SERBACK.jpg]
[Image: altima-ser-3-726936.jpg]
[Image: relojes.jpg]
Yes on automatic. I want to buy a crew cab truck so it's auto. I wouldn't miss manual.
Manuals are for sports cars. Autos for everyday driving.

uhmm well my first car i drove was an 80's Old's regency. That was an auto (Duh) and i don't know i had wondered what it wold be like to drive a stick. So then my mom got her sunfire GT witch happened to my a stick, it was real fun..... i hate learning new things. So after learning how to drive a stick i was set. and for about 5 months that sunfire was all i had to drive and soon it didn't seem like so much work to drive standard. but when i got my focus it seemed... really. odd.

Over all i'd say if u have a family and need to deal with more then one thing in the car, auto's are your best friend. but if ur still a swinging single well go for it, i don't think i'd overly miss standard.
Well my next car won't be replacing the focus, but it will be an auto and more of a cruiser... maybe get the Caddy STS i had planned on getting before the focus or maybe an auto 99-00 Cougar which i've had before and miss

My first car (79 Pontiac Acadian) was a slushbox, and I swore i'd never drive a manual.

Then I bought a built 90 Turbo Sprint.... I learned to drive stick on the way home from the dealer. I swore i'd never go back.

My 91 Sidekick was a stick.

When looking at company vehicles to buy, the requirements were that it had to be white, blue, or silver, a stick, and have a sunroof (major concession, coming from a convertible). When the Focus came across... I jumped on it.

I still drive friend and family's autos, and it drives me nuts (no pun intended). I'm 26..... and there are many sedans and wagons that can be had with a stick. When kids are a concern.... which is no time soon.
i'm considering my next car to be an audi a4 or a3, and i don't think i'll get an auto but instead a DSG. all the fun of a manual, and an auto mode for those horrible Saskatoon traffic jams. I'm 20 so what does that say about me.
a smart automagic tranny would be nice so it's not searching for the right gear all the time. One that shifts quick and at the right points. DSG would be nice too. If I had that option I'd get rid of my manual I find auto's to be boring and not fun.
Right now I'm having the same debate and I'm leaning toward a SUV with a automatic, its not like I would miss driving a manual with the Mini and BMW there both manuals. But it's not like the options are getting better I was watching Test Drive with Tom Kendall last night and they had the new Dodge SRT8 with the 425hp Hemi and that machine is not even offered with a manual. Also Euro Ford Fan I would be very interested in hearing on how the Torrent is holding up after a few months of abuse as that SUV is on my short list.

Laterz :)

02ztsian

FocusGuy7476,Dec 30 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:i'm considering my next car to be an audi a4 or a3, and i don't think i'll get an auto but instead a DSG. all the fun of a manual, and an auto mode for those horrible Saskatoon traffic jams. I'm 20 so what does that say about me.
[right][snapback]162539[/snapback][/right]
There isn't enough people left in all of Sask. to cause a traffic jam! :lol:
Unless you count the people leaving! (BTW, born in Regina in case you were wondering.)
For my personal car I still prefer manual transmissions and would miss them if I were without and I'm 43. In all my years of driving I think I had an automatic for myself only once for about a period of a year. I felt like it was not my car and I was driving a rental.

On the other hand for family vehicles you are pretty much limited to automatic cars.
Manual always for my own cars (current and previous Subarus) but will admit to prefering the automatic of the Focus for stop and go commuting and city driving.

The 4 speed auto of the Focus is OK or better than the old 3 speed autos anyway. Now that there are 5 and 6 speed autos plus CVT's plus these paddle things the performance advantage of a manual is disappearing and in some cases automatics are now faster and more fuel efficient too. On some cars the manual "option" precludes some of the more advanced ESP's and the like.

I still like manuals for country drives, hills and winter especially. Good skill to have when renting a car in Europe.

If it wasn't for foreign markets the manual tranny would have disapeared from North America decades ago. I believe I read a while back only 5% or the cars on the road here actually have manual transmissions fitted and it is an option on a scant 15% of models available.

Next car: manual, a coupe of some sort
I've got the best idea. Have a son that likes the manual transmission in his car and drive that when possible and you need that little spunk put back in your old man life, but for God's sake, an auto is imperative in QEW traffic.

dBlast you don't get a say as you anly drive 5 minutes to and from work.

age..39
Daily driver.... Has to be automatic ( I have an 05 Outback).

Fun car needs to be manual. I have driven many of the new automatics, with the so called sports mode (tiptronics, sporttronic, etc). They still are not as fun to drive as a manual, and most of them are pretty lazy in the shift change.

The other would be SMG or sequential manual gearbox, tried it on a new BMW 5 series (my next car). That was loads of fun. Specially nice to change gears in the turns.

But I would have 1 choice, I would take the manual, I would even suffer through traffic to be able to have that fun once in a while. :D

Everyone in my family drives auto and I have always driven automatic's and dont have any use for a stick! What with traffic and the speed limits in the city...it just isnt very useful and sometimes more bothersome with a child, other drivers, the snow...etc

I was taught how to drive manual only recently and I get to do it every day at work, putting around the lot, and thats more than enough 5-speed for me!!

Automatic all the way!

ANTHONYD,Dec 30 2005, 10:52 AM Wrote:
Euro Ford Fan,Dec 30 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]162526[/snapback][/right]

I think they are seriously trying to make automatics as exilerating as the mannies, but it's like vegitarian meatloaf. It's mimiking the true experience.

Are they better?

I think they're GETTING better....will they be the same one day? Probably performance wise, but some people like the "action" of actually "driving" their cars to the fullest. There will always be oldskool people buying sticks.

It will eventually be like ford, mopar, chevy etc.... preferences.

In time, I'm sure they'll be just as fun for me.

This it hink will be our next car. (Auto)

[Image: 05.nissan.altima.ser.int.500.jpg]
[Image: 2005SERBACK.jpg]
[Image: altima-ser-3-726936.jpg]
[Image: relojes.jpg]
[right][snapback]162528[/snapback][/right]

BTW Anthony I hope you don't have the trouble with that car that my neighbour has had. He has had the car 4 months, not the SER or whatever but the old man sedan, and 2 transmissions later it's still not right. I drove it the other day and if this is your kind of car I am not impressed one bit.

Festive_Zombie,Dec 30 2005, 04:50 PM Wrote:Daily driver.... Has to be automatic ( I have an 05 Outback).

Fun car needs to be manual. I have driven many of the new automatics, with the so called sports mode (tiptronics, sporttronic, etc). They still are not as fun to drive as a manual, and most of them are pretty lazy in the shift change.

The other would be SMG or sequential manual gearbox, tried it on a new BMW 5 series (my next car). That was loads of fun. Specially nice to change gears in the turns.

But I would have 1 choice, I would take the manual, I would even suffer through traffic to be able to have that fun once in a while. :D

[right][snapback]162566[/snapback][/right]

why shuold it be an automoatic?!?!? my car is a standard, i drive bout 45 mins to an hour in traffic everyday for work, and i love it! i mena personally it wakes me up and keeps me awake when i'm tired cuz u have to pay attention and push in the clutch and shift than release the clutch. Personally i think standard is the best cuz i could have been in a FEW accidents but,with a standard u have more control over what the car will do

that's just my opinion and i'm 21

also it doesn't make a difference if u have a child or not i mean i have a 3.5 year old and i find it better to have a standard cuz he can start the wife's car anytime cuz its an automatic but i don't think he realizes that he has to push in the clutch to start mine cuz its a standard
Pages: 1 2