FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: P1520 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Help!!!
I just did a scan on my Focus and it showed up 2 codes P1520 and P0442.
I found the repair for the P0442 but couldn't find where to start on code P1520.
I have a 2000 Focus se s/w. 150k With a CAI
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thank you

P1520 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Malfunction

I am not sure if this will help for a focus, but here is a fix for a duratec Contour:

P1520 fix for Contour
I had a lengthy post on this, but the Galactic Empire (read Bell Internet) ate it.

I'll post it in chunks.

You'll need to inspect the wiring for the IMRC, which resides on the driver's side of the engine block, just aft of the distributor cap. To remove the IMRC module itself, you'll need a 10mm (1.4" drive) socket, about a 8-10" extension, short-swing ratchet, and a 10mm open-ended stubby wrench or socket wrench.

The wiring itself can be disconnected from its clip like any other wiring harness. The socket and whatnot are for the upper bolt for the IMRC unit. The wrench is for the lower bolt of the IMRC unit... the bolt is located just above the EGR (read: HOT!) piping.

If you want to test whether the IMRC is operating correctly, do one of the following two sets of steps (or both if you're curious/paranoid):

1)

- take the car out onto a roadway or highway. Select 2nd gear. Start at about 40KM/H. Floor it. If the car doesn't have a noticeable change in induction pitch and performance at 3200 RPM or about 55-60KM/H, the IMRC may be malfunctioning.

2)

Remove the IMRC as described above. Have a friend hold the IMRC as it is normally situated on the block, or you do it and he/she works the gas. Start the car and either leave it in Park or place in Neutral with the handbrake activated (depending on your transmission). Rev the engine to 3200 RPM and just above. Watch for the actuator arm on the IMRC to rotate foward towards the front of the car. If that fails, the wiring and or the motor are suspect. At that point, break out the multimeter and check for voltage and a lack of resistance along the 12V+ feed. Also, check for good grounds. The actuator is actually triggered by linking one ground to another and completing a circuit.

If you don't have a tach, when starting the car do the following:

Before turning the key, hold down and keep holding down the trip odo reset button. Hold it down as you start the car, and until the little LCD cluster flashes TEST. Then, release the button and press it 8 more times for the digital tach. Now you can complete steps 1 and or 2.

The IMRC will activate at 3200RPMs, regardless of whether you're moving or not.

I'm trying to find the SWAB how-to, but if you go to the How-Tos forum here and download the Performance how-to archive, I'm pretty sure the SWAB how to is in there. SWAB stands for Super Waterboy (the guy who invented it) Actuator Bypass, and it details the function of each wire in the IMRC harness.
dBlast,Dec 29 2005, 04:11 AM Wrote:P1520 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Malfunction

I am not sure if this will help for a focus, but here is a fix for a duratec Contour:

P1520 fix for Contour
[right][snapback]162433[/snapback][/right]

Thank you I will check it out.
Thank you, for the detail of your reply. I will try the things that you suggested and hopefully it fixes the problem.
I will post as to the out come.