FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What's The Difference
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Between DVD-R and DVD+R Which one is better

01-yellow-ZX3

Home Theatre or Computer?
bluetoy,Dec 27 2005, 03:51 PM Wrote:Between DVD-R and DVD+R Which one is better
[right][snapback]162307[/snapback][/right]
Assuming you mean "Which one is better for burning movies", generally DVD-R has less compatability issues with older DVD players than DVD+R.

That said, I've only seen DVD+R dual layer media, although it's too expensive to make it worthwhile copying movies. I just compress the movie itself onto a single-layer DVD-R.
I use DVD+R and have never had any issues on any player, video console, portable...etc..

ohh...the ones I use are el cheapo maxell's....
get which ever one you need for your equiptment blue toy.
But don't spend alot as from what I have learned from the industry know-it-alls, new technology is less than 2 years affordable away with the mini DV and this equipment will go the way of the beta machine.

I looked into getting one myself.
Just got a DVD burner today. Hard to find one that works on a P3 800 with windows ME. I was going to buy some DVD's but I was not sure which to buy. There were alot less DVD+R left in stock so I figured they'd be better. Just going to back stuff up etc.
If it's data backups for a PC on a dual-format... whatever floats your boat.

I also recommend burning at 2x or 2.4x first before attempting 4x burning.

4x burning is ~5.2MB/sec and most older ATA33/66 drives have a hard time actually sustaining that level of availability for a burner.
The issue we have found in photography, is that the discs they give you from the photo labs are now 2+ years old and some are not readable anymore.
Can you imagine having your wedding all on disc and it is no longer readable?
We have photog friends being sued up the ying yang.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 27 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:If it's data backups for a PC on a dual-format... whatever floats your boat.

I also recommend burning at 2x or 2.4x first before attempting 4x burning.

4x burning is ~5.2MB/sec and most older ATA33/66 drives have a hard time actually sustaining that level of availability for a burner.
[right][snapback]162331[/snapback][/right]

What about 8x or 16x burning? I just had a new DL 16x drive installed and was going to grab some 16x media because I ain't gonna back this PC up again if it takes 10 hours for a backup/verify operation like it did the last time using the old 2x drive <_<

I have a SATA/150 HD & a P4-3.0Ghz with 1GB ram.

NefCanuck
I haven't done the math just yet, but just do 5520 x 4... that's the transfer rate of a 16X burn.

22,080 KB/sec. Or, a hair above 20MB/sec sustained read.

Will the HD float it? Yes. Will anti-virus on-access scans get in the way? Yup. What else is there to consider? If the drive registers as a ATA-33 device or UDMA-33, that's a theoretical 33MB/sec throughput rate that you'll never sustain on that interface, even with a 80-wire / 40-pin cable. If it registers as ATA-66 (like my DVD writer) then you have a theoretical 66MB/sec throughput rate to play with and more headroom... and better luck of a 16x burn but not guaranteed.

I'd suggest disabling on-access scans or turning off your AV software while burning. And also starting at 8X to test the stability of the drive and media.

I have a LG-4160B 16x DVD+-RW. I can't burn at more than 4x cause the drive's an ASSHAT. Live and learn.
I burn everything at 16x only had one coaster thus far... BENQ 1620 with sony discs

the dvds are RW but damnit I can't erase any of them... what am I missing here
I've got the Benq dw1655. It burns cd's fine. he POS will not burn a DVD no matter what I try. I get just to the point where it should start burning and the whole system locks up. I have to press the reset button to reboot. I've tried Roxio and Nero. Same results. Says this drive is compatible with P3 550 and win ME. Shows up whej I boot up as udma-2 Whats' that my other cd-rw shows up as mode-4
Mode 4 - PIO. Major slow mojo. UDMA-2 is ATA33.

Maybe you need more RAM? P-III 550MHz and WinWhyME is kinda iffy in my books for DVD burning.
update teh firmware? try another aspi manager? get rid off winME

try that in that order
I have p3 800 512k ram. Everything else is chinese... What?? I don't understand why it burns cd's but not dvd's...
Sounds like firmware to me, too. Also, if you're burning @ 2.4x in certain burners with certain media, lockups are a given. Try at 2x and go from there.

Also, I suggest you google the model number of your DVD burner and check for a firmware update.
ok I looked for some firmware updates but that seems to be a new drive and therefor no updates yet. I honestly think it has something to do with winME. You can try different DVD media that might be it? anything short of playing with the settings or re-installing windows to 2000 or XP heck even 98SE is better than winME won't get you good results.
I have tried three different brands of DVD burners and 3 different media brands. All with the same results. I wish I could go back to win 98SE. It worked awesome. I really really hate XP , Plus I don't think I have enough system to run it. I guess it's gonna get returned again and computer upgrade in the near future.
bluetoy,Dec 30 2005, 02:55 AM Wrote:I have tried three different brands of DVD burners and 3 different media brands. All with the same results. I wish I could go back to win 98SE. It worked awesome. I really really hate XP , Plus I don't think I have enough system to run it. I guess it's gonna get returned again and computer upgrade in the near future.
[right][snapback]162497[/snapback][/right]

test test 1 2... is this thing on? oh....ok

windows 2000. That is all

Pages: 1 2 3 4