FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Problems....once Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Once again i seem to have run into another focus problem. When i signal for a turn my signal will click on but after the turn the signal will remain on and not go off. The only way for it to do so is if i do it manually. This happens when i make right and left hand turns. Has anybody had this problem before, and how much did it cost to fix
hyprlte,Dec 20 2005, 07:10 PM Wrote:Once again i seem to have run into another focus problem.  When i signal for a turn my signal will click on but after the turn the signal will remain on and not go off.  The only way for it to do so is if i do it manually.  This happens when i make right and left hand turns.  Has anybody had this problem before, and how much did it cost to fix
[right][snapback]161853[/snapback][/right]

I know what that is as I toasted the return spring on the turn signal lever in my old car. That's about a $300 repair if done at the dealership.

NefCanuck
what was your old car.. just out of curiosity?
hyprlte,Dec 20 2005, 07:15 PM Wrote:what was your old car.. just out of curiosity?
[right][snapback]161855[/snapback][/right]

'95 Olds Ciera... dumped it last April just after it lost its rad and the poor guy that bought it ended up selling 6 months later after gas prices spiked (and he threw in new brakes and a water pump :ph34r: )

NefCanuck
If your under warrantee....take it in.

If not, head out to the wrecker.
it's not a fix for the faint of heart. I used to fix this issue at ford. don't try it yourself.
hyprlte,Dec 20 2005, 08:10 PM Wrote:Once again i seem to have run into another focus problem.  When i signal for a turn my signal will click on but after the turn the signal will remain on and not go off.  The only way for it to do so is if i do it manually.  This happens when i make right and left hand turns.  Has anybody had this problem before, and how much did it cost to fix
[right][snapback]161853[/snapback][/right]
Happened to me twice ... fix is to replace the "multi-function switch" -- for me both times it was warranty repair, but i think there might be a TSB about it ... so maybe you can get AWA even if you're out of warranty.
I had that problem on the old focus, I never bothered to get it fixed as always shut if off early when I would turn anyways....
Frost__2001,Dec 21 2005, 05:52 AM Wrote:I had that problem on the old focus, I never bothered to get it fixed as always shut if off early when I would turn anyways....
[right][snapback]161889[/snapback][/right]

mine just stays on... it doesn't turn off at all
hyprlte,Dec 21 2005, 02:19 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Dec 21 2005, 05:52 AM Wrote:I had that problem on the old focus, I never bothered to get it fixed as always shut if off early when I would turn anyways....
[right][snapback]161889[/snapback][/right]

mine just stays on... it doesn't turn off at all
[right][snapback]161893[/snapback][/right]

List it as a mod.

"Continuous signal mod" VERY rare.
ANTHONYD,Dec 21 2005, 08:00 AM Wrote:List it as a mod.

"Continuous signal mod" VERY rare.
[right][snapback]161899[/snapback][/right]

Rare? Old men in Buicks have been doing the "left turn around the world" since the car was invented.
I had the same thing happen to me when my ignition cylinder locked on me. When i picked up the car from Embrun Ford, my rear wiper, and signals no longer worked properly.....and they keep senidng surveys on their level of service :rolleyes:

My rear wiper still doesnt work (Im gonna tackle that in the spring) but my signals started working all of a suden....maybe a few weeks after. Weird, very weird....
On My cavalier that meant a burnt out light bulb somewhere. Just a thought
David
meford4u,Dec 20 2005, 08:24 PM Wrote:it's not a fix for the faint of heart.  I used to fix this issue at ford.  don't try it yourself.
[right][snapback]161866[/snapback][/right]

True enough, on the Ciera they had to actually tear off the collar around the steering column to get to the switch to change it. The repair looked like ass because to put the collar back on all they did was slap the pieces back together and pop riveted the collar back together <_<

NefCanuck
yeah I have this rare mod on my car too, I remember when it happened cause I heard/felt something right after a turn kinda like a plastic tab snapping off. When researching into the repair I was told it's not really a DIY job I just cancel the signal myself I'm so used to it now it's not a problem. Do that or don't signal
i'm no mechanic, but it happened to my brothers car, try holding downt he signal switch when turning, when you start to turn the wheel back, the signal switch should click, if u don't feel/hear a click than the spring is fuked, but if you do it could be the signal arm sticking, cuz that happened to my brothers car and he had a 2000 Focus Se.
just an FYI from ersonal experience