FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Let's Talk Televisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why aren't all theatres IMAX now? IMAX looks far superior (and is), why don't they switch over? or atleast switch over to something that looks better than what they use now.
I'd swear our Galaxy was a digital setup. I'll have to check into that.

I highly recommend the Toshiba, I have a cinema series projection. I love it.
Unfortunately, 53inches is big, too big for our condo.
When we find a new home for it, we'll be getting one of these; Panasonic T[au]

I think 50inches really more than big enough for any home. Beyond that is just excessive. I would consider a 43inch widescreen to be an ideal size for movies and regular TV.
When it comes to TV's as much as the technology and the brand name comes into the equation, you also have to consider another factor and that is how well can you control the light coming into your viewing area.

I went rear projection DLP (Sony Grand Wega 50") two years ago now because I knew that I wasn't able to control the light adequately that was coming into my place (North facing, lots of windows and the condo only allows white or off white window coverings) and I wanted the lightest & smallest TV I could get at that size.

Sure the blacks aren't perfect, but this is a set with two year old technology. Anything progressive scan from DVD looks frigging gorgeous and I'll be biting the bullet in '06 and going HiDef to enjoy the content that is finally starting to appear.

NefCanuck
And i'm just wanting a 32" to move up from my 19" vcr combo..... i don't even care if its a plain tv i just want bigger
j3rt,Dec 18 2005, 06:14 PM Wrote:I highly recommend the Toshiba, I have a cinema series projection.  I love it.

I think 50inches really more than big enough for any home.  Beyond that is just excessive.  I would consider a 43inch widescreen to be an ideal size for movies and regular TV.
[right][snapback]161530[/snapback][/right]

53" Tv For sale???

01-yellow-ZX3

NefCanuck,Dec 19 2005, 12:26 PM Wrote:When it comes to TV's as much as the technology and the brand name comes into the equation, you also have to consider another factor and that is how well can you control the light coming into your viewing area.

I went rear projection DLP (Sony Grand Wega 50") two years ago now because I knew that I wasn't able to control the light adequately that was coming into my place (North facing, lots of windows and the condo only allows white or off white window coverings) and I wanted the lightest & smallest TV I could get at that size. 

Sure the blacks aren't perfect, but this is a set with two year old technology.  Anything progressive scan from DVD looks frigging gorgeous and I'll be biting the bullet in '06 and going HiDef to enjoy the content that is finally starting to appear.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]161619[/snapback][/right]

Sony doesn't make a DLP. :huh:
for what it is worth I have a Samsung 42" plasma (hdtv).....with digital cable and the comming of more hd content this thing is unbelievable....

as an examlpe when I watch a hockey game in hd you can actually see the grooves that are cut in the ice by the skates.....

It has the ability to size regular content to the screen so burn in is likely not an issue as well it comes with a function that you run periododically that will actually shift the pixels around to negate any possible burn should it occurr...

any way this thing is real nice and the size is good too......
dad,Dec 19 2005, 07:44 PM Wrote:for what it is worth I have a Samsung 42" plasma (hdtv).....with digital cable and the comming of more hd content this thing is unbelievable....

as an examlpe when I watch a hockey game in hd you can actually see the grooves that are cut in the ice by the skates.....

It has the ability to size regular content to the screen so burn in is likely not an issue as well it comes with a function that you run periododically that will actually shift the pixels around to negate any possible burn should it occurr...

any way this thing is real nice and the size is good too......
[right][snapback]161701[/snapback][/right]

How long have you had it? What made you pick that unit? Price range?!?
scoobasteve,Dec 19 2005, 08:45 PM Wrote:
j3rt,Dec 18 2005, 06:14 PM Wrote:I highly recommend the Toshiba, I have a cinema series projection.  I love it.

I think 50inches really more than big enough for any home.  Beyond that is just excessive.  I would consider a 43inch widescreen to be an ideal size for movies and regular TV.
[right][snapback]161530[/snapback][/right]

53" Tv For sale???
[right][snapback]161655[/snapback][/right]

yup, interested?
Well I am sure you all know this is what I do for a living

So here is what my place looks like

I did the install my self

It is all true HD running 1280x720p
that is the true res (panel size) of the projector
The screen is from SCREEN INNOVATIONS and the gain is matched to the envirment.

Focal Sib & Cub2
Infocus ScreenPlay 5000
Onkyo Reciver
Onkyo DVD
Cogeco HD Moto Box
15" Sharp LCD preview monitor
102" Screen Innovation

YES 102 inch

[Image: DSC01774.jpg]
[Image: DSC01771.jpg]
[Image: DSC01768.jpg]
[Image: DSC01767.jpg]
[Image: DSC01769.jpg]

any questions feel free to ask

AND YES THAT IS A FERRARI 4000 LAPTOP

01-yellow-ZX3

One question...

IS THAT A FERRARI 4000 LAPTOP I SEE?
YES YES IT IS

Hey Dean, whodathuinkit.... that's the exact projector I am getting after Christmas. You might take a lot of flak for your car, but I applaud your home setup. :D

So that's obviously the proper ceiling mount for the SP5000... but how the hell are you getting the signal from the DVD player to the projector? HDMI or Component video feed?

Is that the InFocus screen as well? That's probably the one I want.
01-yellow-ZX3,Dec 19 2005 Wrote:
NefCanuck,Dec 19 2005, 12:26 PM Wrote:When it comes to TV's as much as the technology and the brand name comes into the equation, you also have to consider another factor and that is how well can you control the light coming into your viewing area.

Sure the blacks aren't perfect, but this is a set with two year old technology.  Anything progressive scan from DVD looks frigging gorgeous and I'll be biting the bullet in '06 and going HiDef to enjoy the content that is finally starting to appear.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]161619[/snapback][/right]

Sony doesn't make a DLP. :huh:
[right][snapback]161699[/snapback][/right]

Argh, brain fart on my part, rear projection LCD I must need the Christmas vacation more than I thought :(

NefCanuck
One of my bosses has a rear projection LCD from Sony... what a clear, pimp TV.
LOTR looks outstanding on it!
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 20 2005, 10:57 AM Wrote:One of my bosses has a rear projection LCD from Sony... what a clear, pimp TV.
LOTR looks outstanding on it!
[right][snapback]161772[/snapback][/right]

Yup, film DVD's look frigging awesome. After I first got it in '03 my dad came down to do some repair stuff in my place and afterwards I plopped in the first HP movie DVD. I don't think he made a sound for like ten minutes before he turned to me and just smiled.

That's the reaction you want from someone seeing that TV.

'course it makes VCR/analogue cable look so bad in comparision... gonna figure out a way to afford hi-def digital in '06 or die trying :P

NefCanuck
microbunny,Dec 17 2005, 10:14 AM Wrote:We are in the market for a new TV set and I've seem alot of crap out there and alot of overrated product....also alot of high-end stuff that is mind-blowingly good!

I've decided against Plasma TV and i have set my sights on this bad boy

SHARP AQuos

65" LCD by Sharp..

Opinions, ideas, comments are welcome~! Also, what TV's are you people rocking!? Anything else that people can recommend?

thanx
[right][snapback]161380[/snapback][/right]

Panasonic is the best rated tv out there, and Panasonic even recommends LCD only up to 32", plasma anything over that size.
Of course with all newer technology, get the extended warranty.

65" seems a little big. You would have to sit over 20' from the screen to see it best. I guess ya got the room it you have the money for what you're thinking.
Dean! Nice setup!

Focal... i'm impressed.
CanadaSVT,Dec 20 2005, 04:15 PM Wrote:65" seems a little big.  You would have to sit over 20' from the screen to see it best.  I guess ya got the room it you have the money for what you're thinking.
[right][snapback]161777[/snapback][/right]

My 65 inch is just fine about 10 feet away. Even better now that I have the High Definition box.

[Image: toshiba65.JPG]
Pages: 1 2 3