FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Paypal/fraud Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys wondering if you could help me yet again. My brother sold an Xbox360 on ebay and someone in Toronto bought it. The paypal amount was sent to my brother's account and he checked and made sure it was there. The guy said he wanted to pick up the package from him so they met up. When my brother got home he checked his paypal and the money was gone. Apparently Paypal took the money back because it was a fraudulent transaction. Are they allowed to do this? Isn't it their fault that they screwed up and let this guy make a fraudulent purchase? What can you guys say about this?
he has to contact eBay and pay $20 I think and go through the resolution center. Unfortunately, if this person has little to know feedback, they may just close the account and then your brother is out the xBox. It's the only thing he can do.

And on a side note, not that I think it's right for him to screw your brother, but how much did your brother end up selling the xBox for?

Show us the link for the sale of the item.
MAlby7,Dec 16 2005, 05:54 PM Wrote:Hey guys wondering if you could help me yet again.  My brother sold an Xbox360 on ebay and someone in Toronto bought it.  The paypal amount was sent to my brother's account and he checked and made sure it was there.  The guy said he wanted to pick up the package from him so they met up.  When my brother got home he checked his paypal and the money was gone.  Apparently Paypal took the money back because it was a fraudulent transaction.  Are they allowed to do this?  Isn't it their fault that they screwed up and let this guy make a fraudulent purchase?  What can you guys say about this?
[right][snapback]161337[/snapback][/right]
Your brother got burned by the most common eBay/PayPal scam. Because this guy picked it up, there is no shipping receipt, and you have no proof the buyer ever got the goods.

Local pickup should be cash only.

What reasoning did PayPal give that it was "fraudulent"? Was it a fraudulent credit card?

Where's the link?
if it was a creditcard you can cancel the transaction on the card can't you? the CC will then deal with it.
Never meet anyone for a ebay transaction....its just stupidity to do that....

sorry but, your brother was a dumbass to do that and I wont say he deserves to get ripped but, its an expensive lesson to not trust anyone!!
i meet people all the time. but it's a bring the cash transaction.
meford4u,Dec 17 2005, 04:15 PM Wrote:i meet people all the time.  but it's a bring the cash transaction.
[right][snapback]161436[/snapback][/right]

You also look like your in a gang
We still don't know why the transaction was cancelled.
I always do local pick ups for people off ebay, but will either only accept cash, or if I do paypal, then the only time I meet them is after I have withdrawn the paypal money from the bank (paypal atm card)
I've met a few times for stuff on ebay. No problems. Though I was the buyer, and always brought cash.
microbunny,Dec 17 2005, 04:16 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Dec 17 2005, 04:15 PM Wrote:i meet people all the time.  but it's a bring the cash transaction.
[right][snapback]161436[/snapback][/right]

You also look like your in a gang
[right][snapback]161438[/snapback][/right]

I do? I might be looking like I could crush you, but you think I look like a thud?

Pole smoker
I am sure I know what has happened, so listen up. His BROTHER had the xBox. Sold it to a crook who paid and then before he went to pick the item up, cancelled the transaction through eBay and said that no item was delivered. Brother didn't recheck paypal and gave the thief the xBox.

The thief cancelled the transaction. Easy to do on eBay.

The brother is out $500+

See how he's pissed.
i'm pretty sure that the paypal payment can be canceled by the payer before the reciever actually takes the money.

on a side note, since i've done ebay trading in a company before, if there's no tracking number, or postage invoice, the buyer can just say that he did not receive anything from your brother and u can do nothing about it because you have no proof that u gave him the xbox already!

in this case, you can give the police a call! (i'm serious)
Well my brother is in the process of dealing with the cops but I'm sure he'll get screwed on this. Lesson learned I guess.
That's why you ensure that you've completely received the payment before transfer of goods.

If I buy car parts from anyone here, they get the cash / money order / PayPal first. Then I get the part.

If we meet up, it's cash.

It's common sense. If you're an honourable and legit person, you have no problem paying first.
when the money was in the paypal account, did he not immediatly transfer it out into a bank account?
Just talked to my brother and he told me exactly what happened. My brother received the paypal payment on Nov 26 1:00 in the morning. On that same day my brother met up with him and gave him the Xbox. The next day the payment was still in his account so he transfered it over to his bank account but that takes 3-5 days. Two days later (Nov 29) paypal withdraws the money back from my brother stating the they payment was fraudulent and that they are taking back the money and they did. My brother is guessing it's a fake credit card but paypal wouldn't tell them exactly what happened.
or it was someone elses paypal account. Some people do answer those scam emails, and send back all there info.

What was the persons feedback on ebay? and how new were they?
That's why I only list my Credit Card on PayPal.

The only problem I ever had I let Visa fight it out with them.