FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cue The Snow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And so begins 2 days of asshat driving in Toronto... I'm not leaving my home until my flight on Sunday..

good luck commuters!
Haha, I scheduled around the storm.

I work late tonight... (leave after rush hour)

And i booked tomorrorw off.

Hizaa!
I get to go home early from Montreal because of the storm. Nice :)

How much as been dumped sp far...trying to figure out the best time to go....
We're scheduled for 20-30cm, Ottawa is scheduled for 30cm, Montreal is scheduled for Hell freezing over.

Toronto... more than 2cm makes everyone drive like toddlers in bumpercars.

Please... keep your "I s**t in my truck" truck drivers south of Barrie, we're tired of winching them out of ditches and off rock cuts.
Brampton was forcasted for 15 cm tonight and another 12 up till the end of the storm.... so 27cm if you don't want to do the math, lol

But I have to go to work and do a night shift tonight at work, I'm glad my brother in law is taking me in, I just don't want to risk the foci as it's not 4x4.... with the way brampton plows it streets....
It doesn't looks too bad out there, look out to the parking lot and there maybe 1-2cm of snow on the ground.
Started in Central Mississauga around 1pm, we bailed at 3pm as it became readily apparent from our office windows that the drivers had lost their marbles again and we posted signage in case we can't make it in tommorow :ph34r:

If the city actually plows before I have to go to work tommorow I'll go, but if its anything like last Friday screw that... I brought work home with me, no plans to repeat last Friday's slip-a-thon on the way into the office...

NefCanuck
More than 10cm for Toronto... better call in the Military!! hehehe :)
we got ours. The snow comes up past my side skirts...Yum the sound of the front bumper scraping snow.
good thing lastman isn't in charge..... we may have had to close the city,.
I looked out the window and couldnt wait to go get my coffee. haha.

The roads are horrible. I love it, car loves it...A 5 minute drive to Tim hortons is now 45 minutes....stopping in empty parking lots to test out the 4wd, the Justy is also an excellent trailblazer on the roads. :blink: :lol:

BUT there is some fawkin MORONS out there. wow. On my way to Tims, theres this cop car probably 3-4 cars ahead of me and he wants to get around the plow in the left lane. So he swings over 2 lanes to to the right get into the lane that wasnt plowed (the lane I was trailblazing before he got infront of me :lol: )
and floors it to pass the car in the middle lane. I have no clue what hes thinking, even with 4wd and me FLOORING it in the justy (remember, 3cyl fury) would cause me to lose my tail end, especially when your making the only tracks on the road. Anyways, the cops tail end spins out a little hits the lamp post, straightens it out, gets control and kepps going like nothing happened. :o <_<

On my way back from Tims, at the same intersection, some plow, plows his shovel right into a traffic lights, knocks it down so the lights are probably 10-12 feet from the ground......and he keeps driving like nothing happened!!!! :blink: <_< <_<

Ok theres a lot of snow on the ground but do we ignore the highway traffic act now?

I decided that it was time to go home and stop the shaninigans I was doing in the Justy!!

you reposted yourself flo
meford4u,Dec 16 2005, 10:41 AM Wrote:you reposted yourself flo
[right][snapback]161243[/snapback][/right]

:unsure:
Like I said... driving in the GTA, Ottawa, or any other "landed" city in the winter is like running the Boston Marathon while holding a can of nitro in a paintmixer. Sooner or later, s**t's gonna go BOOM! HEADSHOT!

We're only about 60,000 for the city and immediate surrounding area, but hell at least we know the fundamentals of the laws of phyiscs as they apply to driving a car and what not to do (for the most part) on a snow-covered road!
ANTHONYD,Dec 16 2005, 08:14 AM Wrote:good thing lastman isn't in charge..... we may have had to close the city,.
[right][snapback]161195[/snapback][/right]

Mel was a fool. :lol:

And as for this storm... what a bunch of crap it was. All it did (as mentioned above) was make people drive like idiots. The scared and uneasy drivers get out and rush to get their s**t done, and the good drivers have to put up with their unnecessary braking and other bad weather skills they all typically have.
Man for a storm that was allegedly threatening to dump 30cm on us, it sure petered out quick in Mississauga. By the time I got out on theroads to go to work at 8:30AM the roads were mostly wet, not even slushy other than a few side streets.

Either Hazel yelled at the plow drivers to move their butts or it stopped a lot sooner than they said it was going to last night... Either way I'm happy...

NefCanuck
I lived in a city with more people than northbay, further north than north bay, and people forgot how to drive the 1st time it snowed.

The only difference is that the snow tended to stay on the ground, so people didn't have to keep 'relearning' from having clear roads.

Of course, that never stopped me from getting my rental car hit on average once per visit in the winter.
I only got, at most, 10 cm -- and everyone thinks I get dumped on. I always remembered getting about that much every day when I was a kid. So, the buzz about getting all that snow at once is getting a bit mundane.

The drive home on Thursday night was fun...a good 2 hours instead of 30 minutes. No real spinouts on the highways. Just one fun moment crashing through those plowbanks on the onramps just to get on the 401.

Aside from that, I spent Friday shovelling snow and doing stuff before Christmas. Nice to have that day of unwinding. I was already booked off...and it was funny to realize a LOT of my friends on the train were planning to work from home in this monstrous snow storm.