FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Article About Voicemail Spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rogers targets mobile spammers

"Rogers Wireless Inc. is taking aim at voicemail spammers more than a year after the federal telecom regulator denied a request from Bell Canada to ban the controversial marketing practice.

Using a process called "voicecasting," marketers use an automated dialling device to transmit thousands of advertising messages directly into phone voicemail accounts. The phones never ring, meaning consumers don't know they've received the marketing pitches until they check their voicemail messages.

In an application filed last week to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, the country's largest wireless operator said mobile phone customers should not have to pay airtime charges to access marketing messages disguised as legitimate voicemail.

"Furthermore, customers receiving voicecasting calls may be subject to additional charges for roaming and long-distance when they retrieve the message," Rogers argued in the filing.

Bell complained in 2001 that voicecasters were violating the CRTC's telemarketing rules.

Telephone companies and consumer groups were shocked when the regulator disagreed, arguing in a closely watched ruling last October that there was no evidence to suggest the intrusive messages were overly annoying to consumers, particularly when compared to automated telemarketing calls.

Bell admitted later that it didn't collect enough evidence of consumer complaints — a mistake that Rogers doesn't plan to make this time around.

"It's a sufficiently big enough issue that maybe it needs to be looked at again," Dawn Hunt, vice-president of government relations at Rogers Wireless, told the Toronto Star. "There's a nuisance factor that our customers should not have to put up with."

The company said that in the three months between March and May 2005 it received 105 complaints in its call centres. But it expects that number is about 30 times larger because only a small percentage of its customer service representatives have specifically tracked voicecasting complaints.

Hunt said handling these complaints is costly for Rogers and damages the company's brand, because most people who call in wrongly believe that Rogers has profited by selling their mobile phone number to marketers without their permission.

"So we have our name at stake," said Hunt, adding that the company has had to give refunds to several customers to maintain goodwill.

"This is something I'd never heard of a year or 18 months ago."

Rogers' filing does not name specific voicemail spammers, but Toronto-based Infolink Technologies Inc. is considered one of the largest voicecasters in Canada and was at the centre of Bell's regulatory challenge.

Infolink founder Cesar Correia told the Star he was aware that Rogers was trying to revive the issue but was unavailable for further comment.

Jeff Leiper, a telecommunications analyst with the Yankee Group in Canada, said Rogers has a better case than Bell because the nuisance for wireless customers has a financial impact as well.

"The nuisance factor is much different when we're talking about wireless because it's real money out of the pocket," said Leiper, pointing out that Canada's wireless phone industry is already battling a reputation for having higher prices than other countries.

"We know that high prices are already stifling (subscriber) penetration in this country."

But even if the regulator forbids voicecasting to mobile phone customers, it doesn't necessarily translate into a ban for wireline customers, Leiper added.

"The commission has already demonstrated that it doesn't consider wireless and wireline to be functional equivalents."

It's expected that the CRTC will issue a public notice and seek comment on the junk voicemail issue. "
-- Tyler Hamilton, Toronto Star, December 15, 2005

paolo,Dec 15 2005, 02:04 PM Wrote:Telephone companies and consumer groups were shocked when the regulator disagreed, arguing in a closely watched ruling last October that there was no evidence to suggest the intrusive messages were overly annoying to consumers, particularly when compared to automated telemarketing calls. [right][snapback]161082[/snapback][/right]

Annoyed? ANNOYED? Every time I get one of these messages I want to reach through the phone and choke the bastards for wasting my time and airtime. :angry:
That's why I'm glad I have two things:

PAYG cell

Turned off most of the time.

Come to think of it, I don't think my phone has voicemail.
Funny thing is though, as a Telus subscriber I got a few of those messages about six months ago, complained to Telus customer service and since then not one call. I'm wondering if Telus was able to do something that Bell/Rogers couldn't (I havea co-worker that reports the same phenominom, several VM & text messages a few months ago, complaint to Telus, then nada)

NefCanuck
3-3-7. Thats what I do. :P

Good, rogers can spend some oney fighting this....Bell is still fighting with the CRTC to bundle their services :rolleyes:
NefCanuck,Dec 15 2005, 03:27 PM Wrote:Funny thing is though, as a Telus subscriber I got a few of those messages about six months ago, complained to Telus customer service and since then not one call.  I'm wondering if Telus was able to do something that Bell/Rogers couldn't (I havea  co-worker that reports the same phenominom, several VM & text messages a few months ago, complaint to Telus, then nada)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]161087[/snapback][/right]

could be telus's own people marketing you, if that was the case then ya they can stop it easily, but since this company mentioned in the article, has no affiliation with rogers, they just happened to call into the voicemail deposit number and dial random sequence numbers hoping to find mailboxes to depost the messages into. how do u stop that? you have to find out which numbers theyre calling from, and identify them at the linecard level or the customers have to actually be proactive instead of doing nothing and write complaints letters to the CRTC/BBB about such companies and then they will see this bothers the people then they will take active measures to not allow it/make it illegal. but if no one does anything about it, or complains to the wrong people, then nothing will get done. I've done my part, wrote to the CRTC / Industry Canada, omplain to the BBB, wrote to Rogers/Fido office of the president, as well I wrote directly to the company who was mentioned in the voicemail message in my phone.
Now to figure out a way to get the ****ers to quit calling me themselves. I had a Roger's guy call me and offer me some new phone for my current contract, this and that. Called me on Sunday at like 9am, whatever the hell was up with that. He didn't even know that I wasn't on ANY contract with them, just going month to month. Complete waste of my time.

Rogers is guilty themselves of similar things. Gawd I hate them.

I am thankful that I don't have voicemail on my cell, that would piss me off HUGE to get crap like that on my cell. Glad they are taking a step towards doing something about it.