FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hey Kids...........you're Owned!1111!1!11!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you drop out of high school in Ontario you can't hold or get a driver's license according to new legislation!

Gimme an 0wn3d!!!1!!11!

Stay in skool fool, look what it dun did for me eh.
Link? Article

hahahah pwn3d!
I heard that on the radio a few times today .. and what i thought they were basically saying was that you can't get your license till your 18 either .. so it sounds like there basically raising the min. age

which doesn't make much sense cuz now adays most kids graduate highschool when there 17 .. or even 16 if your bday is at the very end of the year like me

edit: i just read that article and there making your prove your still going to school .. sounds like a good move
Don't forget kids:

"driving is a privilege not a right"

2001 ZTS,Dec 13 2005, 06:12 PM Wrote:If you drop out of high school in Ontario you can't hold or get a driver's license according to new legislation!
[right][snapback]160749[/snapback][/right]
All it means is that you cannot hold a license until you're 18 if you haven't finished school.

Not that it measns that much, with this graduated licensing and insurance, you drop out of high school at 16 you probably can't afford to drive.

After 18 though, nothing is different. You can't keep a 30 year old immigrant who never went to high school from driving.
A great idea!
You shouldn't be able to get a license in this country until you can read the road signs and understand the rules of the road in one or both of the official languages.

I don't need to tell you that a good deal of minorities get led by the hand and are given cheat sheets for the writtens, nevermind massive leniency on their road tests.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 14 2005, 09:26 AM Wrote:You shouldn't be able to get a license in this country until you can read the road signs and understand the rules of the road in one or both of the official languages.

I don't need to tell you that a good deal of minorities get led by the hand and are given cheat sheets for the writtens, nevermind massive leniency on their road tests.
[right][snapback]160843[/snapback][/right]

written tests???
leniency???
road tests???

I know a few places where all you have to do is fork over a wad of cash and you have yourself a license this is the kind of BS that should be stopped.

Laterz :)
2001 ZTS,Dec 13 2005, 08:16 PM Wrote:Don't forget kids:

[right][snapback]160776[/snapback][/right]

yeah, owning a gun is a right.
I have to show this to my soon-to-be 17 year-old son. He is going to stay in school but ........ heh its some good insurance. Speaking of insurance I have to check how much its going to go up when I include him on my policy ? Not looking forward to that BS.
darkpuppet,Dec 14 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Dec 13 2005, 08:16 PM Wrote:Don't forget kids:

[right][snapback]160776[/snapback][/right]

yeah, owning a gun is a right.
[right][snapback]160865[/snapback][/right]

OH SNAP! :o

thats messed up!
dlb,Dec 14 2005, 11:01 AM Wrote:I have to show this to my soon-to-be 17 year-old son.  He is going to stay in school but ........ heh its some good insurance.  Speaking of insurance I have to check how much its going to go up when I include him on my policy ? Not looking forward to that BS.
[right][snapback]160867[/snapback][/right]

Bend over & grab yer ankles dude, it's gonna hurt!

Y'know I like the policy on the one hand, it has a carrot/stick type approach (The carrot - you can get your license at 16 w/parental consent. The stick - No school, no license) but on the other if these kids really don't want to be there aren't they just gonna be problems that the school has to deal with, with absolutely no additional support from the government to do so? <_<

NefCanuck
My Moms insurance went up $800/yr when I was added as a secondary driver. The next year it was $1000/yr, than $1200/yr Than I moved in with my Dad, got on his for $1500/yr (moved into an M postal code). And now my insurance on my new car is $6800/yr because of my ticket last year (would have been about $4200/yr without it, apparently the car is cheap to insure, but a 21 year old male isn't.)

Edit: Another thing to tell your 17 year old. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES drink ANY measurable amount of alcohol and drive within like 24 hours. My ticket was a G2 violation, which is drinking and driving essentially, I had something like 0.01% BAC but it was above 0, which means you've violated the terms of the G2 license. 12 hour immediate suspension, followed by a 30 day suspension, ticket was $110, tow was $200, the reinstatement fee was $150. Most expensive Coors light ever. Lesson learned.

Edit2: Though I suppose at 17 you can't legally drink anyway... so there's another problem... anyway, get your G license ASAP.
Aka,Dec 14 2005, 11:38 AM Wrote:And now my insurance on my new car is $6800/yr because of my ticket last year (would [right][snapback]160884[/snapback][/right]

Wow, I really dont mind paying $1000/yr for insurance when I hear stories like this.

I think it could be a good idea to keep the kids in school, but there is always a potential for problems with the "drop-out material" students are only in school so they can keep their license. If someone really doesnt want to be somewhere, it's usually better for all other people involved if that person isnt there..

But at least they're trying to do something about young drivers, the accident rates for young people are just stupidly high.
I'm also a Highschool drop out. 8 Credits short heh. Went to college anyway. Took a simple test.

I just couldn't wake up in the mornings that was my problem. The classes I did attend I did very well in. I suppose though I did drop out after I was 18, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
The license suspension definatley affected your insurance rates...

21 - Clean record...

if i was primary on my svt - 3300 a year....
I was paying around $80-$90/month when I lived with my parents....so roughly an extra $1000 to my fathers policy Im guessin.. ..that was 1996. <_< Had my G2 license at 16.
scoobasteve,Dec 14 2005, 05:50 PM Wrote:The license suspension definatley affected your insurance rates...

21 - Clean record...

if i was primary on my svt - 3300 a year....
[right][snapback]160963[/snapback][/right]
Yup. I could have gotten as low as that without the ticket as well, if places would answer their phones. When I was looking for insurance I was under the impression it was a minor ticket as it seemed much more like a warning than a serious infraction. And I was told it wouldn't affect my insurance. So I didn't put the effort in to fight it/try and get it brought down. The $110 was nothing, so it didn't seem serious.

A number of lessons was learned through that ticket.

Edit: Also, another thing that led me to believe it was more of a warning was my insurance had only gone up 15% because of it. However as soon as I tried to get insurance for my own car (same company even) it went up drastically...