FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Headlight Bulb Harness?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay so I was leaving work and I get on the road and I get a phone call from a co-worker saying my heading went out as I was leaving the parking lot. So I finally go under the hood to change the bulb and I notice that the plastic wire harness for the bulb is melted???

1. Not sure if this should have happened with a regular bulb in there??

2. Do I have to go to the dealer to get another one or do other part stores have them, and is it that hard to put back in??

3. Has anyone had this happen with Sylvania or Silverstar bulb in thier headlights??

Thanks for the help guys!

Tim
This is known to happen with higher-than-stock wattage bulbs, but if you're running a stock wattage bulb it shouldnt happen.

Maybe take it to a dealership and see if they'll replace it free.. but if it's not an OEM bulb then they probably wont.
I never had any grief while I had my Silverstars in for 9 months or so.
Regular bulb, no. Mainly with Sylvania Silverstars or PIAA higher wattage bulbs.

Which part of the harness is melted? Is it the squarish plug? Or, is this inside the light where the bulb is? If anything, maybe it's time to go to a wrecker and get some used parts. Ford has "standard" connectors, but I'm not sure whether there's one for headlights.
The part that is melted it the plastic square piece that you plug the bulb into!

ZX3guy2000,Dec 11 2005, 08:04 PM Wrote:The part that is melted it the plastic square piece that you plug the bulb into!
[right][snapback]160435[/snapback][/right]

I'd see if a dealer can price one out. Otherwise, I'd see if there are any stock headlights around here or in a wrecker's gathering dust :)
GapBoyPCS,Dec 11 2005, 10:19 PM Wrote:
ZX3guy2000,Dec 11 2005, 08:04 PM Wrote:The part that is melted it the plastic square piece that you plug the bulb into!
[right][snapback]160435[/snapback][/right]

I'd see if a dealer can price one out. Otherwise, I'd see if there are any stock headlights around here or in a wrecker's gathering dust :)
[right][snapback]160454[/snapback][/right]

No..... it has nothing to do with the headlight itself!

Just the plastic piece that the bulb plugs into before you put it into the actual headlight!

But I'm going to call around in the moring and see what the dealer & local yards say!
Well I called the dealer and the price for the socket for the headlight bulb is a big $91..... crazy...

I called partsource and I guess it is only a dealer item. As for calling wreckers I only know of a few and they didn't have a focus on thier lots! Ah well!!

Socket... the part of the harness the prongs of the bulb plug directly into?

I always thought that was a single unit, tied into the wiring harness directly.

I have a spare set of 2000 - early 2001 headlights if you really need them. They were a project idea, but that can wait if I can help any.
Thats okay, keep it for your project! Its an expensive piece that only dealers carry, but I appreciate the offer! But for $91 I'm not really sure what I am going to be getting from the dealer! I'll find out tomorrow moring!

Thanks again!
if you need a cheap replacement I have a set of american headlights up for sale, but if you want to try running high wattage bulbs in them I could suggest the Euro MK1's I have for sale too, I don't know if they can take the higher wattage or not but it woud be a good test.
Tim, you try Lecavalier Auto wreckers outside of Cumberland?

They are a Ford owned wrecker. They should have foci's on the lot, they did when I called last year....lots of em
I'll call first thing in the morning!
Thanks Nate!
ZX3guy2000,Dec 12 2005, 11:09 PM Wrote:I'll call first thing in the morning!
Thanks Nate!
[right][snapback]160593[/snapback][/right]

Dont expect a killer discount or anything.

I got a new headlight assembly for the Justy from another wrecker, still ended up paying $115.00....

Cars are worth more in peices!
Okay now I have the part ( headlight bulb socket wires ), and now it looks as if it is essentially plug and play into the wire harness but I don't know where it is! LOL.... The dealer is booked solid today, so I took the part home to see if I could find it?

Outcome = no luck as of yet.....

Anyone know if I have to remove the headlight to get to this wire harness????
bump edit......