FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How Do I Wire Up A A/f Gauge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys, just got my package in from Phil 2day (thanks again) and i'm trying to figure out how to wire up my a/f gauge...it has the 4 wires, red, white, black and purple (i guess)...so what goes to where? And i wanna wire to the ECU, so how do i do that?
if i am correct the purple goes to you o2 sensor and the the others are just your power wires

i'm sure sombody can confirm this
Red = 12V Source
Black = Ground
White = Illumiation ie dash lights
Purple = Signal Wire
ok, now that the wires are described, can anybody give me instructions on how to install this?
Well in my opinion the a/f gauge isn't really usefull due to the fact that it rips around like mad. Now I know focusnme's father made up a sort of voltage filter that slowed the transitions and appeared more acceptable (visibly) but its not going to give you 100% correct readings or anything that would be allot of use.

I may suggest purchasing another gauge that might be of more use to you.
Voltage/Oil Press/Oil Temp??

Now for the wires:
red - Power (connect it to ignition power w/ 5A fuse)
black - Ground
white - Dash Lights, You can connect it to the Dimmer Source(radio or on switch)
purple - O2 Signal

Connect this signal find the first O2 sensor, locate the black wire, theres a brown and a black so if your colour blind get some help :P So don't splice the purple into this because if the sensor fails then you gotta rewire. Locate the corresponding wire on the o2 harness it should be white, splice into here.

Now as I said it flip flops around allot and is more of an anoyance if anything since its never going to give you accurate results. But give focusnme a PM maybe can help you out with the circuit. Its basically just a capacitor circuit that slows down what would appear to be a wave and more flattens it out....so the transitions are smoother. But I still believe it will be inaccurate for any other purpose than a light show.
That's right Kevin. The AF is useless unless you go bigbucks with the wideband and are going to be doing some serious tuning.
hardk0re,Dec 7 2005, 09:04 AM Wrote:Well in my opinion the a/f gauge isn't really usefull due to the fact that it rips around like mad.  Now I know focusnme's father made up a sort of voltage filter that slowed the transitions and appeared more acceptable (visibly) but its not going to give you 100% correct readings or anything that would be allot of use.

I may suggest purchasing another gauge that might be of more use to you.
Voltage/Oil Press/Oil Temp??

Now for the wires:
red - Power (connect it to ignition power w/ 5A fuse)
black - Ground
white - Dash Lights, You can connect it to the Dimmer Source(radio or on switch)
purple - O2 Signal

Connect this signal find the first O2 sensor, locate the black wire, theres a brown and a black so if your colour blind get some help :P  So don't splice the purple into this because if the sensor fails then you gotta rewire.  Locate the corresponding wire on the o2 harness it should be white, splice into here.

Now as I said it flip flops around allot and is more of an anoyance if anything since its never going to give you accurate results.  But give focusnme a PM maybe can help you out with the circuit.  Its basically just a capacitor circuit that slows down what would appear to be a wave and more flattens it out....so the transitions are smoother.  But I still believe it will be inaccurate for any other purpose than a light show.
[right][snapback]159736[/snapback][/right]

ok, kev, i followed the wired from the O2 sensor all the way back to the first harness (above the fans) it has 2 white wires, a grey and a black wire coming outa it....which one do i wire into for the signal?
never mind kev, i figured it out lol..and you guys were right, it bounces around like a ping pong ball..but oh well lol