FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Nissan Develops Self-healing Paint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: It may be the auto industry’s equivalent to the better mousetrap.

After years of hearing drivers complain about scratches on their cars, Japan’s Nissan Motor Company has officially announced the next big thing – a paint that not only resists scratches and scrapes, but actually repairs itself within a few days.

The new material, developed by Nippon Paint Company, contains an elastic rubbery-like resin that’s able to ‘heal’ minor marks caused by car wash equipment, parking lot encounters, road debris or even deliberate vandalism.

The automaker admits its results vary depending on the temperature and the depth of the damage, but adds this is the only paint like it in the world, and tests prove it works.

Minor scratches, the most common type, are said to slowly fade over about a week. And once they’re gone, there’s no trace they were ever there.

The special paint is said to last for at least three years after it’s first applied, but there’s no word yet on whether more can be added once that period expires.

Nissan claims car washes are the worst offenders for this type of damage, accounting for at least 80 percent of all incidents.

But the literal auto-healing won’t come without scratching your wallet. The vehicle maker notes the special paint adds about $100 U.S. to the price of a car.

It plans to use its new concoction only on its X-Trail SUVs in Japan for now, as it looks for a more widespread rollout. And while plans to offer the feature overseas haven’t been made yet, if it’s a hit there, you can be almost sure market forces will drive it to these shores, as well.

Which may well mean that when it comes to ending paint damage on your brand new car, we’ve only scratched the surface.
Thats insane!
Neat! $100 USD is nothing on a brand new car.
sounds pretty friggin sweet.

i wouldn't wanna be the first one with it though
"hey cool, there's one of those x-trails with the self-healing paint! wonder if it works..."
Yeah, I'd hate to gain neighbourhood notoriety over that as well :P

Very sweet though... I'd love to see it in (time lapse) action!