FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Computer Networking Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
go wireless, be easier and if set up correctly you don't have to worry about people stealing your signal. i've done it a couple of time and kinda know how to set it up. i can give you hand setting it up if you want.
Woooo lots of answers. I use a D-Link wireless router for my computer (wired) and the girlfriend's laptop (wireless).

When you log in to the router (using a web browser, just follow the instructions) you can set the security to filter connections by MAC address (the unique address of your particular physical machine) so only the computers you own can access the router. This will stop the average person who is sniffing around for open networks.. if someone is intent on breaking in to the network they'll get it, this will stop people from stumbling onto it.
MACs addresses can still be sniffed, especially by a Linux laptop running Kismet.

Association packets and authentication packets (4 types of Layer 2 packets that are Layer 3 independent) can be sniffed really easily... and your Layer 2 stuff has your MAC address in it...

Not trying to show off, just calling a spade a spade.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 5 2005, 10:53 PM Wrote:MACs addresses can still be sniffed, especially by a Linux laptop running Kismet.

Association packets and authentication packets (4 types of Layer 2 packets that are Layer 3 independent) can be sniffed really easily... and your Layer 2 stuff has your MAC address in it...

[right][snapback]159460[/snapback][/right]

OMG you don't understand how turned on I am right now

talk the OSI layers to me and it like automatic pantie remover.

nass,Dec 5 2005, 06:48 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 5 2005, 10:53 PM Wrote:MACs addresses can still be sniffed, especially by a Linux laptop running Kismet.

[right][snapback]159479[/snapback][/right]

Who's your All People Seem To Need Data Processing Daddy? :D
if you don't want to run more wires... wireless router, NIC, setup a WEP key... and call it a day.

sure, eternet will be a more secure, slightly faster and less prone (waaaaay less) to dropping out connection. but IMO, with a laptop it's the only way to go... and mine hardly drops out at all. if it does, simple repair fixes it.

EDIT: btw... currently work tech support for Verizon DSL... so i deal with modems and wireless routers all the time... give me a shout if you need any help setting up.
I'm going to hit up Futureshop tomorrow during the day then right after work, 'attempt' to set it up. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, I do fix computers as a 'side business' but even though it sounds funny, I never really got into the 'networking' side of things.

I'm sure with my luck, there will be some new replies on here from me around 4:45pm CST tomorrow......lol

Thanks all for the great help, you guys are awesome!!
PLEASE... not WEP.

PM me later if you have config questions.
unless his mother and brother are for some reason holding very secure information on their PCs... WEP will do the job just fine. If you can crack my WEP... I'm impressed. If I worked for the government or something, and was holding very confidential information on this laptop... yeah, I'd probably not be using 64bit WEP... until then, I won't worry myself with WPA
128-bit WEP. 10 minutes or less. Guaranteed. You can force a collision in the hash that guarantees a working key. Believe it. I didn't till I took an advanced wireless security course a few months back.

Now it's WPA-PSK or higher. By higher I mean digital certificates (useless for home users) or RADIUS to an AD server (again, useless for home users).

WPA-PSK and TKIP to roll the keys. AES Rjindael is good, but TKIP is better.
mmm... fair enough. but i know that i personally wouldn't be too upset if someone got access to my network..... and got some pictures of my dog or soemthing.
maybe even my essay on plato's 'the republic'
Yeah my mom uses the computer for email, that is about it. Maybe some basic internet gaming (solitare, that gem game thing).

My brother is hearing impared and is planning to use the computer for instant messaging to her via Yahoo Messenger (or the like) and possibly also using a webcam. That would be it. He's not really into computers at all, just very basic internet use and games like Simcity, etc.

There is nothing else worth anything on either machine as far as anything 'confidential'.

My mom does do internet banking but I'm assuming that because her machine will be wired right to the router, it'll be more 'secure' then say my bro's computer in the basement (he doesn't use internet banking).

Honestly there's not much of a concern plus I mentioned the area they live in, there's really nobody around that side of the city that I'd say would be technically driven to do something like this. The homes are all built in the 50's/60's and 3/4 of the people on my mom's street are retired, hell the whole neighbourhood is almost 'retired'.

I'm just hoping that it's nothing to 'hard' for them to learn how to use. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Planning to hit up FutureShop when it opens this morning then read the manual (nothing else better to do today at work) and setup tonight after work.
It should be dead simple, really. If you're computer literate and can follow wizards and the walkthrough in the owner's manual for the router, you have it made in the shade.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 6 2005, 01:07 AM Wrote:
nass,Dec 5 2005, 06:48 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]159479[/snapback][/right]

Who's your All People Seem To Need Data Processing Daddy? :D
[right][snapback]159494[/snapback][/right]

I went the other way... Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away

NOS, what cert's do you have? I could probably write my CCNA and pass without studying myself.

I've been thinking about doing my CCNA and the wireless certs...

Ryan
Well it worked, extremely simple. There was a question on the install to set it at 64 or 128 encryption or none at all. I set it to none at the moment but I'm going to head back there right after supper and adjust that. Just wanted to get it working at the time and the instructions sucked.

Very easy install, works awesome!!!

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
reldridge,Dec 6 2005, 04:05 PM Wrote:NOS, what cert's do you have? I could probably write my CCNA and pass without studying myself.

I've been thinking about doing my CCNA and the wireless certs...

Ryan
[right][snapback]159664[/snapback][/right]

Hey,

Right now I'm still a Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000 Server double MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional). I'm updating to my Server 2003 MCSA in the new year.

I'm also a Learning Tree-certified Exchange Professional... which has less bearing, but still. I won't need to study at this rate for any of my MS exams.

Cisco stuff is good to have, but unless you're in a fairly large environment that has a diverse WAN topology you probably won't be needing a CCNA. Even with our assortment of Cisco-supported VLAN and VoIP components I learned enough in one week to manage / admin the setup.

If you have any desire to be a Systems Admin / Network Admin for Server 2003, take at least your Server 2003 MCP exam. It's common sense that the mass majority of most enterprises that aren't HPC or government / military these days are going to be mainly Server 2003 soon if they aren't already.

There is Linux out there for the enterprise, there's other stuff (Hardk0re's a big server farm guy of sorts) but if you're staying SMB... it's pure Windows-based for the majority. I have one non-MS box at the office, our I-series AS/400 for our ERP backend database. That's it out of over 20 servers now on our LAN/VLANs. I don't touch the I-series, and I either directly admin or indirectly consult for the other 19 (only 2 I don't run, really).
didn't Cisco axe the CCNA for something else?

I have my CCNA and it expired this year have no need to pay for it again but I remember reading an email about them changing it
Just a quick question, does it matter if it's set to 64 or 128? Just curious. Assuming 128 is better. It's still set to none right now, haven't had a chance to head over.

So that 64 or 128 setup I'm assuming is to help block someone using your wireless connection???
yes
Pages: 1 2 3