FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Banging/thud
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey guys and gals

i have a thud/bangiong noise comming from my right front wheel

when it sits over night and i back out in the morning turning my wheel to the right i hear - thud thud until i start going straight again

also if i come to a quick stop and then accel hard again it thuds again

IDEAS???

thanks
Check the rear motor mount.....
Or for the cat sleeping under your car at night
Blownt strut?

Possible strut bearing.

Also, could be a motor mount too.
Do you have stock springs? Could be that broken spring thing they extended the warranty on.. or partially broken spring that's making noise.
when does the "thud" happen?

when you hit the brakes? or when the direction of the car first changes?

And if it thuds when you first change direction, take the car to a hill, stop and go again. When does the thud occur? when you take your foot off the brake? , or when you hit the gas and put engine load on the wheels?

Could be anything from bad sway bar link, to blown strut bearing, to engine mounts, to a brake pad that slides a bit in the caliper.
Wheel turn + thud usually means cv joint.
Welcome to the Club. Enjoy your stay!
scoobasteve,Dec 5 2005, 01:11 PM Wrote:Wheel turn + thud usually means cv joint.
[right][snapback]159366[/snapback][/right]
Yup, espcially if you only hear it when turning one way.
Flofocus,Dec 5 2005, 01:28 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Dec 5 2005, 01:11 PM Wrote:Wheel turn + thud usually means cv joint.
Yup, espcially if you only hear it when turning one way.
[right][snapback]159370[/snapback][/right]

Those are big bucks to replace no? :o
scoobasteve,Dec 5 2005, 05:11 PM Wrote:Wheel turn + thud usually means cv joint.

wouldn't that be more of a clicking sound?

:huh:
nass,Dec 5 2005, 04:34 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Dec 5 2005, 05:11 PM Wrote:Wheel turn + thud usually means cv joint.

wouldn't that be more of a clicking sound?

:huh:
[right][snapback]159404[/snapback][/right]

It depends on how bad they are...
My front corners are especially noisy in this cold weather. They are most noticable after being parked out in the cold and backing out (while turning) of a parking spot. Once the car warms up the noise goes away.

The noise is a almost a creaking thud like sound only on slow turning manouvers. In warm weather the sound is absent. :huh:
My vote's on the CV joint as well. For the OP that is.
focusnme,Dec 5 2005, 12:14 PM Wrote:hey guys and gals

i have a thud/bangiong noise comming from my right front wheel

when it sits over night and i back out in the morning turning my wheel to the right i hear - thud thud until i start going straight again

also if i come to a quick stop and then accel hard again it thuds again

IDEAS???

thanks
[right][snapback]159344[/snapback][/right]
Is there a chance it could be lousy tires developing a flat spot?
Otherwise CV sounds close.
Take it in for warranty, it happen to me yrs ago when my car is still under warranty but don't remember why.
Ditto, don't mess with it, if anything they will tell you whats wrong. You can then choose to fix it yourself or pay them to do it....
well if it does it only in the cold then I would just leave it. I know that cold weather does cause a lot of strange noises. Rubber could freeze up to a point where it's pretty solid then as you drive it loosens up more and the noise goes away. If the noise gets worse then check it out. If you can pop the tire off jack it up ( not in that order ) have a look see and see if anything looke out of place.

that's my 2 cents
i vote cv joint as well
dBlast,Dec 6 2005, 08:29 PM Wrote:My front corners are especially noisy in this cold weather.  They are most noticable after being parked out in the cold and backing out (while turning) of a parking spot.  Once the car warms up the noise goes away.

The noise is a almost a creaking thud like sound only on slow turning manouvers.  In warm weather the sound is absent. :huh:
[right][snapback]159703[/snapback][/right]

That's exactly what happen to my car.
Pages: 1 2