FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Aftermarket Indash Dvd Systems Illegal In Ontario?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I ws watching the news this afternoon and they were saying that indash dvd systems are illegal in ontario. On or turned off you can get a 150 dollar fine plus 4 points off your license.

I heard it's also illegal to have in alberta and quebec. Has anyone else heard this before? I don't get it really, what if it's your navigation system? Will they fine you for getting something to help you find your way, better then having a map in your face. Does this also include factory installed systems?
I know you're not supposed to have anything that can distract the driver (like DVD player), but I don't think navigation is outlawed?

Do you have a link to where you heard this from?
i think it's only if you have the DVD on while driving, the in dash ones that is. I think it's suposed to be hooked up to your e-brake so it will only play DVD's while the e-brake in engaged
smith21,Dec 4 2005, 04:06 PM Wrote:i think it's only if you have the DVD on while driving, the in dash ones that is. I think it's suposed to be hooked up to your e-brake so it will only play DVD's while the e-brake in engaged
[right][snapback]159269[/snapback][/right]
ya somehting like htat, but that is easily "fixed"
yea, but if you get caugh...ur in trouble...
Kool_ZX3,Dec 4 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:I ws watching the news this afternoon and they were saying that indash dvd systems are illegal in ontario. On or turned off you can get a 150 dollar fine plus 4 points off your license.
[right][snapback]159267[/snapback][/right]
As far as I'm aware it is illegal for DVDs for "entertainment" purposes to be running anywhere forward of the driver's seat head rest while the vehicle is in motion. Which is why installers have to hook it to the ebrake interlock.

I have never been harassed using my GPS, I have been followed at night by the OPP with it lit on the 401 (I'm guessing maybe to see if it was a movie) but not so much as even stopped.

Y'know, this is another case of the government stepping in to compensate for asshat drivers that can't use their own common sense... :angry:
Kool_ZX3,Dec 4 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:I ws watching the news this afternoon and they were saying that indash dvd systems are illegal in ontario. On or turned off you can get a 150 dollar fine plus 4 points off your license.
[right][snapback]159267[/snapback][/right]

How would they know you have an in-dash? unless the screen is out?

Damn it now i have to find a navigation system that that will hook up to it?

anyone know who makes one?
They said on the news that even if one is installed you can be fined. They were talking to an officer and all that shiat.

I don't know about gps systems but that said dvd video systems which can be a gps systems also that's why i was wondering if it was illegal even if u had a gps system.

"The ones that are installed in the dashboard, just by their installation, once that vehicle is rolling, it's an offence," Edmonton Police Const. Jim Smyth said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1203?hub=Canada

Reading it seems gps is ok but no movies or movie systems are permitted in field of driver view.
I read that as "if people defeat the interlocks which keep it from playing movies while driving would be an offense as soon as the vehicle starts moving".

I think what you hear is because of a bad edit job/ they are taking it out of context.