FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What To Buy...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am undecided on what I wanna do for a HT Setup. I currently have a Flagship JVC I'Art widescreen TV, a flagship JVC DVD player, but I am interested in getting a sound system to go with them. I presently only have a 2channel JVC Micro System hooked upto them (and it does sound VERY good for a mini stereo), but I sometimes get the spikes in volumes with certain soundtracks.

My Grandad got a full Harman Kardon HT system a few months ago, and it sounds very good, I'm just not sure if it'll be loud enough for me. I like the integration of the speaker package with the receiver (AVR335), and the sub has tons of balls.

On the other hand, I still love products made by Marantz, and Klipsch. I was considering buying a Marantz Receiver, and a Klipsch Refference system, but no too sure how expensive it will be.

I'm even tempted just to buy a JVC THB 88 6.1 system in a box, pending on how good the 5.1 system I bought my Nana for X-mas is gonna sound.

I'm not sure what to do here...

Bear in mind, I HATE Paradigm and Cerwin Vega, as well as Sony. I'm not a fan of Denon or Pioneer stuff either...

Any Suggestions? I know I really should spend about 2K on an entry level hi-fi setup, but maybe I can get away with a budget system? I'd ultimately preffer to have 7.1 system, and have a decent sized sub with a decent sized amp in it, but also have small satellites...
I like these for speakers - outstanding rep and they are 100% Canadian - they ship to your door ( for free !! ). Even the bookshelf system is great - I heard them in a friends place in Ottawa- *ucken mind-blowing :blink: !! Check them out, their is a good forum on the site. The guys their will give you some good advice as well. Link below.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/
Drivesthebeast,Dec 3 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:I am undecided on what I wanna do for a HT Setup.  I currently have a Flagship JVC I'Art widescreen TV, a flagship JVC DVD player, but I am interested in getting a sound system to go with them.  I presently only have a 2channel JVC Micro System hooked upto them (and it does sound VERY good for a mini stereo), but I sometimes get the spikes in volumes with certain soundtracks. 

My Grandad got a full Harman Kardon HT system a few months ago, and it sounds very good, I'm just not sure if it'll be loud enough for me.  I like the integration of the speaker package with the receiver (AVR335), and the sub has tons of balls.

On the other hand, I still love products made by Marantz, and Klipsch.  I was considering buying a Marantz Receiver, and a Klipsch Refference system, but no too sure how expensive it will be.

I'm even tempted just to buy a JVC THB 88 6.1 system in a box, pending on how good the 5.1 system I bought my Nana for X-mas is gonna sound.

I'm not sure what to do here...

Bear in mind, I HATE Paradigm and Cerwin Vega, as well as Sony.  I'm not a fan of Denon or Pioneer stuff either...

Any Suggestions?  I know I really should spend about 2K on an entry level hi-fi setup, but maybe I can get away with a budget system?  I'd ultimately preffer to have 7.1 system, and have a decent sized sub with a decent sized amp in it, but also have small satellites...
[right][snapback]159215[/snapback][/right]

Why do you hate paradigm and denon?

My friend talks about them all the time about how awesome they are etc.. I want to hear your opinion on those companies.

Cerwin vega, i wouldn't buy it either. Overpriced slop if you ask me. Sony well that's just self explanatory. Pioneer, good for your car, not good for the home.
I don't like paradigm for several reasons. One of them being that they are like Honda Civics or Toyota Corollas...everyone get em...but that's not the main reasons. The main reasons is that I've always found them to be soft sounding, and tend to colour the sound, regardless of all the info in the brochures stating they do the exact opposite. I also found that you can't beat on them for long periods of time, and expect them to last. Maybe their flagship stuff, but not the lower end stuff.

In terms of Denon...they are owned by Marantz now, but are going to be Marantz's "bread n' butter" products, while Marantz itself will move back upmarket again. I also find that Denon stuff, though it sounds nice, tends also to be soft sounding, and doesn't have the sheer balls that HK, NAD, Marantz, etc all have. I want kit that has sheer dynamics, but also detail and finesse at ALL volume levels.

However, all of that comes at a price, with any combo of them costing $2100-$2500...so I would need to choose wisely...

Refference the Axiom stuff....yeah I know they are Canadian...they are in Oxtongue Lake Ontario...I know this because I pass them everytime I drive to/from Petawawa. Never really heard any of their stuff. I have heard stuff from PSB, and Energy, Paradigms direct competitors...same story, sound nice, but no balls, and not efficient at low volumes. Same can be said about Bowers & Wilkens 600 series or Missions from the UK. I like very much the Monitor Audio stuff from the UK, but it's pricey.

So I'm wondering if I can get away with a cheapo HT and call it a day, or should I fork out the dough... My Grandad's HK CP35 cost him over $2500 after buying stands and taxes... Would likely spend that on Marantz Receiver and set of small Klipsch Cabinets...wonder if I have other options I should consider...

BTW, anything I said about how things sound is my own opinion and the opinon of my ears and brain...it might sound totally different to you...so no direct offense to anyone!
Too bad you feel that way about the Paradigm stuff, I love mine, people that come over rave over the sound.

My system is a DTS 7.1, I use Monitor 11 fronts, a CC-370 center, a pair of ADP-370s for the sides, a pair of MiniMonitors for the rears and a PDR-12 powered sub.

I'm really happy with it. :banger:
I can't comment here because it would cost you way too much money for the budget you have.

Best of luck.
*shrugs* I'm happy with the Panasonic 5.1 setup I have. I'll move to a 7.1 system next summer, after I get the projector in.

DVD player / recorder: Pioneer
Front channels: Design Acoustics DAT-1010
Center / rears: can't quite recall
Amp: Panasonic SA-HE 75

The DAs handle all the bass as I'm not running a sub currently. 40" is more than enough bass. :)
Well, after buying christmas presents for all of my family and some freinds, I went and bought some of the christmas presents I was lusting after for the last few years...

To start with, I bought a 2006 Marantz AV 7500 THX 7.1 Receiver, and started buying the speakers I wanted too. I only bought the front 2 main speakers at the moment, which are Klipsch RB25 Refference series speakers. I only bought the front 2 speakers because they were almost $700 after taxes, so I will have to buy each part of my HT one at a time. I also had to go and buy another DVD player for here at my parents house to try it all out because my other one is up in petawawa (I'm in Brantford until next weekend). All I can say is GOD DAMN does this stuff sound good together! Gotta love the sound of an American designed amp paired to Amererican speakers. Even when using a JVC DVD player and regular rca cables at the moment as one of the sources, it sounds amazing.

I thank everyone for the advice, and I took it under advisement that all I needed to do was to buy what I wanted all along, or what my ears/brain preffer.

L8tr!