FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Update On My Brother's Condition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I obviously won't go into the legal / monetary crap, but:

He got his cast off the other day. Apparently in due course of saving his life, they had to open his entire arm from wrist to the big cut just ahead of the armpit (plastics, doing all that microsurgery I take it).

He exceeded 200 stitches. This is in addition to the 25 staples in his upper left thigh where they took a piece of his artery from (vein?) for the graft to his artery in the right arm.

He was quite distraught over the amount of cutting they had to do. He was feeling "road rash" from the cast and bandages against his wrist the day before they took everything off, so that's actually a good thing.

No new developments in his digit mobility yet. On that note, I think they want him to heal a couple more weeks before he attempts to really exert any pressure with his fingers.

They literally put his arm back together. If not for the bone in his upper arm, he would have inadvertently lopped his own arm off.

He's on morphine, which makes having a meaningful conversation with him impossible. For those of you who have been on it / know someone who was, you know where I am coming from. He goes from fine, to loathing me, to pleading with me for his new computer, to indifferent. It's quite the treat.

I just hope he comes out of this as ok as can be. We're still not sure what to expect.
ahhh.. good ol' morphine... I remember that from when they were practically drowning my dad in it.

glad to hear things are looking up tho... I'm sure he'll be playing the computer in no time.

Ouch sorry to hear about that. Yeah, I did the morphine -> Demerol -> Tylenol 3 thing after my auto accident in '99 (six year anniversary of that coming up Dec 4) from Dec 4 to around the 9th my memories are so hazy I could have been married to a Vegas showgirl for all I knew :ph34r:

Though I do remember having to sign the legal retainers the Monday after the accident. Strange the things you remember after all that time.

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Dec 2 2005, 03:24 PM Wrote:ahhh.. good ol' morphine... I remember that from when they were practically drowning my dad in it.

glad to hear things are looking up tho... I'm sure he'll be playing the computer in no time.
[right][snapback]159055[/snapback][/right]

I don't know what happened NOS but you and your brother have my best wishes, sincercly. Sounds like, from your post, it's painful but not terminal.

Like DP I've watched someone die (cancer) under MOFO, it helps pain but seems to extend a foregone conclusion in the case I watched.