FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Harper Vows To Cut Gst To 5%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
:icon_bs:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.h...0e3a313&k=51098

Yeah right, rember when Jean said that he would eliminate it entirely in '99?

When pigs fawking fly! I don't believe this will ever happen.
hell I could lower the GST by 7% easily.

GST = 7%
7% of 7% = 0.49

7% - 7% of 7% = 6.51%

round that to the nearest whole number = 7%

there! I just lowered the GST 7%!!!! BOW TO ME!
hell, I promise to lower the GST 7% every year over 20 years! think of the savings!!!

all cash registers will magically update to the new GST value at midnight every Dec 31st. The transition will be seemless for all venders!
:rofl:
SVT ZX3,Dec 2 2005, 11:40 AM Wrote::icon_bs:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.h...0e3a313&k=51098

Yeah right, rember when Jean said that he would eliminate it entirely in '99?

When pigs fawking fly! I don't believe this will ever happen.
[right][snapback]158985[/snapback][/right]

Considering just how much of a cash cow the GST actually is, a 2% cut wouldn't hurt the government coffers that badly. Remember the GST basically applies to anything unlike the tax that it replaced. Hell, its even a tax on top of a tax in one case! (The GST on fuel is calculated on top of the fed taxes on fuel as well)

NefCanuck
It was supposed to have gone away when the Liberals came to power, and for that I never really forgave them. Good old Mulroney... why bother cutting spending when you can just invent a new tax.

I will enjoy my job and house that I believe I would have been taxed to death on by the Tories, however.

Steve - you get my vote. Have you got a campaign leader yet? I work for upgrades.
Everyone of those guys is full of s**t............they shouldnt promise jack s**t to anyone untill they are behind the desk in the Parlament office.

I dont vote cause all the guys running are screaming out promises that not even they believe in. When Trudeau was around at least that guy gave a s**t about our country and did something behind the desk.
Oh $400 ohhh Thank you Mr Harper. Yeah and let me up that towards the repairs to my car from the crumbling roads, the drugs I have to buy when I get sick and can't get into a hospital or the kid who robs me because they canceled his youth program.

I have no problem paying tax, never have never will. I just wish these politicians would realize that 90% of the people who read the news don't care about 2% less tax they care about health care, funding more nurses, better schools, better infrastructure etc etc etc so unless he has a magic money tree he can take is idea and piss off!

Mr Harper talk to me about lowering the value of the Canadian dollar, and how your going to get better pay for health care workers, teachers and all the other civil servants who get worked to the bone for little or nothing.

Tax cut you moron.
^^--- here here!

wanna join my campaign?
I've seen the paycheques, civil servants may be overworked but they sure aren't underpaid.

Other than that, yes, tax cuts are a poor way to fix a crumbling country and health care system (that is so obviously abused).
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 2 2005, 04:01 PM Wrote:I've seen the paycheques, civil servants may be overworked but they sure aren't underpaid.[right][snapback]159060[/snapback][/right]

I guess it depends on what you consider underpaid. I've never met a teacher, nurse, policeman, fireman or paramedic who got paid anything like what they should.

You know what I would like to see a $20 user fee for anyone who comes to a hospital or doctor. I hate hearing stores of people who clog up ER waiting rooms or doctors offices for things that could easly be treated at a walkin clinic. It's an easy way to reduce the wait times and the level of overworked people at a hospital.

Steve where do I sign up?
I heard that the GST alone made 28 billion last year.. can anyone verify?

why can't they agree on a salary freeze for all civil servents and a pay cut for the top people. This REALLY needs to be done at hospitals cause there is no way in hell a hospital administrator should be making that much money. Instead of begging the government for more money why not trade your 3000 sq ft house in for something smaller trade in the porsche and help the cause you're trying to fight .

/end rant
^^ Agreed.

I have a cousin who's high up in the OPP... he's well-off.

I have a cousin who is a teacher, fairly young still... and she leases her cars every 2 years.

I have more distant relatives in the health sciences... they're not hurting. Neither are the others who are teachers as well.

Sorry, but my family is HUGE. It's like a cross-section of Canada. No one is hurting, even with 3-4 kids per family (grade school age).

Like I said, they may be overworked, but they're not underpaid. The solution? Roll back their wages 10-15% and hire more people at the entry level and go from there.

I'm comfortable paying the level of taxation that I am right now, but asking me to pay more is ridiculous. I work, I pay my taxes to pay the paycheques of civil servants. Hell, technically they're paying themselves in part. Do they want to pay a good deal more just to get a bit more? Probably not.

Hire more staff, freeze the wages seeing as I don't see many nurses standing on street corners begging for change, and then maybe we'll get somewhere.

Everytime a union official demands more concessions, a worker with a backbone has a heart attack. That's how tax increases are created.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 2 2005, 04:01 PM Wrote:I've seen the paycheques, civil servants may be overworked but they sure aren't underpaid.

Other than that, yes, tax cuts are a poor way to fix a crumbling country and health care system (that is so obviously abused).
[right][snapback]159060[/snapback][/right]

I could lateral transfer into a Civil Servant Job easily, in fact I recently ignored a offer for a $65,000/yr job with Transport Canada. Not enough, I'm doing much better and have even greater future prospects.
you freeze a person's wage, and then you lose productivity from that person. you change one thing and it effect something else. newton's law has more than one use.

personally i'd rather see a decrease in income tax and small business incentives, that would actally help.
I love how civil servants always take the blame for being "lazy" "overpaid" and "should be grateful to have jobs"

Well guess what? Without us the services that you the taxpayer demand, don't exist <_<

Want healthcare? Ethier you pay taxes to the government for state run care or you pay in the private market, but either way you pay.

But at least if the state is running things there's a chance they aren't motivated solely for profit and squeezing every last dollar from their customers or worse yet skimping on their care.

-sigh- Sorry, that was a rant wasn't it?

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 2 2005, 06:20 PM Wrote:^^ Agreed.

I have a cousin who's high up in the OPP... he's well-off.

I have a cousin who is a teacher, fairly young still... and she leases her cars every 2 years.

I have more distant relatives in the health sciences... they're not hurting. Neither are the others who are teachers as well.

Sorry, but my family is HUGE. It's like a cross-section of Canada. No one is hurting, even with 3-4 kids per family (grade school age).

Like I said, they may be overworked, but they're not underpaid. The solution? Roll back their wages 10-15% and hire more people at the entry level and go from there.

I'm comfortable paying the level of taxation that I am right now, but asking me to pay more is ridiculous. I work, I pay my taxes to pay the paycheques of civil servants. Hell, technically they're paying themselves in part. Do they want to pay a good deal more just to get a bit more? Probably not.

Hire more staff, freeze the wages seeing as I don't see many nurses standing on street corners begging for change, and then maybe we'll get somewhere.

Everytime a union official demands more concessions, a worker with a backbone has a heart attack. That's how tax increases are created.
[right][snapback]159100[/snapback][/right]

the guy offering paycuts to his family is the first to bitch about tax hikes...

hmmmmmmmmm...
I'll stay out of this discussion because it pisses me off.

I will add that if you don't vote then you've got nothing to say so STFU.

My wife works for the Gov't and I used to. They are not overpaid. When I was there I made 27k per year. Woo Hoo. What am I gonna do with all of it. I have a friend who is a janitor in the schoolboard who makes more than my wife (who is an EA).

Principals make over 100k per 10 months of work.
bluetoy,Dec 3 2005, 08:08 AM Wrote:I'll stay out of this discussion because it pisses me off.

I will add that if you don't vote then you've got nothing to say so STFU.

My wife works for the Gov't and I used to. They are not overpaid. When I was there I made 27k per year. Woo Hoo. What am I gonna do with all of it. I have a friend who is a janitor in the schoolboard who makes more than my wife (who is an EA).

Principals make over 100k per 10 months of work.
[right][snapback]159142[/snapback][/right]

Yep yep and yep

I was going to say it but you beat me to it. If you don't vote, then stay out of any political discussions because your a quitter. Probably just a whiner, but a quitter for not voicing your opinion on paper.
We could be Nazi Germany had Hitler won the war. Be proud to vote. Not a bitch.

And I also worked for the government. They are not overpaid at under 30k.

Now autoworkers are a differnet story.

So, in closing, get out and vote. Or I don't want to hear your wanwanwa.
Pages: 1 2