FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Job / Parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The ford dealership I bought my 03 wagon wants $850 for front rotor and front pad re&re and fluid flush. I know how to do my own brakes having done my mustangs' a few times. So I either want to find somewhere more reasonable or just buy the parts OEM and do it myself.

Any leads on where to get OEM brake rotors and pads? Or a place that'll do the labor for "reasonable". Also wouldn't mind getting Hawk HPS pads or equivalent just for a little extra braking power.
greanie,Jul 13 2009, 10:10 PM Wrote:The ford dealership I bought my 03 wagon wants $850 for front rotor and front pad re&re and fluid flush.  I know how to do my own brakes having done my mustangs' a few times.  So I either want to find somewhere more reasonable or just buy the parts OEM and do it myself.

Any leads on where to get OEM brake rotors and pads?  Or a place that'll do the labor for "reasonable".  Also wouldn't mind getting Hawk HPS pads or equivalent just for a little extra braking power.
[right][snapback]290985[/snapback][/right]

Lots of interesting options - where are you located?
ZTWsquared,Jul 13 2009, 10:52 PM Wrote:
greanie,Jul 13 2009, 10:10 PM Wrote:The ford dealership I bought my 03 wagon wants $850 for front rotor and front pad re&re and fluid flush.  I know how to do my own brakes having done my mustangs' a few times.  So I either want to find somewhere more reasonable or just buy the parts OEM and do it myself.

Any leads on where to get OEM brake rotors and pads?  Or a place that'll do the labor for "reasonable".  Also wouldn't mind getting Hawk HPS pads or equivalent just for a little extra braking power.
[right][snapback]290985[/snapback][/right]

Lots of interesting options - where are you located?
[right][snapback]290989[/snapback][/right]

Toronto (Dundas St W and Dufferin)

I've noticed on eBay there are a few sellers selling OEM rotors and pads for about $100 shipped, but unless I'm buying a brand name from eBay I'm always a bit hesitant (cheaper rotors = rust, crack, warp, generally suck?)

In an ideal world I would be getting some OEM blanks or Brembo blanks and a slightly upgraded pad like HPS or EBC Green Stuff or equiv.

Not brand picky for the Focus and wouldn't be adverse to Canadian Tire, if you guys said their parts were reasonably priced. Right now they are having a 2 for 1 sale on pads and rotors for example.
my dad went to the states to get his brake job done. some where around USD $300 he said. the mark up price on focus brake components is crazy
greanie,Jul 13 2009, 10:10 PM Wrote:The ford dealership I bought my 03 wagon wants $850 for front rotor and front pad re&re and fluid flush. [right][snapback]290985[/snapback][/right]
:ph34r: Jebus.

its a 1.5 hour job tops. Drunk.
Search Craigslist or Kijiji for a local dealer and ask if you can go to their location and pay cash. That is what I did when I bought my cross drilled rotors and pads. I think I paid about $120 all in. I did them myself in the driveway.
I just replaced my focus's front brakes, and rotors with OEM ford parts, and it cost me less then $270 for all the parts, and the new ford rotors came with a life time warentee, that was using car quest here at my work.
Flofocus,Jul 14 2009, 08:01 AM Wrote:
greanie,Jul 13 2009, 10:10 PM Wrote:The ford dealership I bought my 03 wagon wants $850 for front rotor and front pad re&re and fluid flush. [right][snapback]290985[/snapback][/right]
:ph34r: Jebus.

its a 1.5 hour job tops. Drunk.
[right][snapback]291012[/snapback][/right]

Just another reason I never go to stealerships. This one is the worst though.

Before I was gonna get my brakes done on my WRX i went to subaru dealer (to buy some oil or something) and I asked them just for jokes how much it would cost me to install rotors,pads,SS lines,brake fluid flush (with my parts being supplied). Labour was $800+
I'm hesitant on the Kijiji/ebay/craigslist low cost vendors. While they very well may be the same OEM mfg as the dealership, I don't like taking the risk to save $100 in parts (warp, crack, defect, etc.) on something as key as brakes.

Looks like i'll go price out Cdn tire, then price out some Ford dealership parts counters, and just DIY.
I have had my Kijiji Drilled Rotors and Pads on for over a year and I have had no issues with warpage or excessive wear. I guess maybe I am one of the lucky people that got quality parts. I also drive year round without issues with heat and the cold.
Don't go to crappy Tire anywhere but there. Your in my arear and there is tons of shops that can do it for you quickly and for a great Price theres Perfomance Worx Click Here If your looking for more of a Domestic shop try Fast Lane 52 Eugene S. 416 588 3278. But I would higly suggest Performance Worx. Was that quote you got from Yorkdale Ford?
ZX3_2NV,Jul 16 2009, 10:25 AM Wrote:Don't go to crappy Tire anywhere but there. Your in my arear and there is tons of shops that can do it for you quickly and for a great Price theres Perfomance Worx Click Here If your looking for more of a Domestic shop try Fast Lane 52 Eugene S. 416 588 3278. But I would higly suggest Performance Worx. Was that quote you got from Yorkdale Ford?
[right][snapback]291174[/snapback][/right]

No the quote was from Oak-Land ford...

At this point I am buying parts and doing it myself. I would not let Canadian tire actually perform work on my car. The time it would take to drive there, and sit in a waiting room for it to be done is more than the time it would take to do it myself!!!

i think i paid about $300 cash for my front rotors AND pads. dust free too.

the guys name is Baljinder, or you can call him John. He kept calling me Barty, even though i told him countless times my name is Paul. but thats ok, hes a geat guy. his shop is next to the mississauga news head quarters
Thanks everyone, I ended up doing the work in my garage. Total time including clean up was 2.5 hours. Materials were $150 for brake parts, $10 for a bottle of dot 3 fluid and $7 for a can of brake cleaner.